Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-28-2011, 09:29 AM

10,213 posts, read 14,829,894 times

Advertisements

Actually, we started thinking more about where we wanted to LIVE ... in our 30's and made the move then! For the last 35years, we've lived on or near the beach in Florida ... We didn't have to think much about 'where' we wanted to retire, since we were already there.

Over the past year, we made a significant move to be nearer to kids/grandkids, ... but, we are still living on or near a beach in Florida.

The saying, "Life is what happens while you are planning to do something else" is very true! Now, not later, is the time to live the life you desire.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2011, 10:24 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,471,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post
The saying, "Life is what happens while you are planning to do something else" is very true! Now, not later, is the time to live the life you desire.
If I'd done what I wanted at age 23 when I returned from overseas I'd have been a beachcomber/bum on a South Pacific island. Instead, I ended up getting married. That was my first mistake!

Old 10-28-2011, 12:34 PM

8,733 posts, read 15,937,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by earthlyfather View Post
I am so happy this thread has struck a cord with everyone. Let me bring you up to date with where we are in our search.

Originally, we wanted;
  1. Warmer winters (we are currently in far North GA).
  2. Somewhat larger town - 35,000 to around 50 or 60,000 - for medical care, cultural and conveniences (our town is 5,000~, total county pop around 30,000).
  3. Smaller house and yard (currently 2600 sq ft and 3+ acres {not just woods and or grass}).
  4. Lower cost of living (our current location is at the national average per best places dot net).
Where we are today;
  1. The more we think about it, we like our climate, with 4 to 6 months of no heat or air. Just need a better insulated and overall energy efficient house. So, from a climate perspective, this place suits.
  2. Still think the 35 to 60K range is right. Also, have come to realize a sizeable 'college' is important to cultural life, opportunities and overall vibrancy of the area.
  3. Definitely still a priority to get down to 1700 to 2000 sq ft, 1/2 acre or smaller.
  4. Want to be below national cost of living average.
We are currently keying in on a state adjacent to us that has a town pop of 60K~, major university with medical school, vibrant arts and theatre scene in the town and general vicinity. It ain't NYC, but good enough for us . Available housing stock is not quite what we were looking for, but again, close enough.

Cost of living is about 11% below national average. The climate (weather channel is great for tracking two weather patterns) is eerily similar to ours. Overall tax burden is slightly less, at a high level, than our current home state. Need further investigation to validate savings.

We are subscribed to this towns' newspaper on-line edition, (complete duplicate of paper version), which is helping us to learn more about the community. Anything and everything from relgious,cultural, political, leisure and recreational, and so forth. Highly recommend.

Can you guess our current hometown, and the target future hometown?
Sure , everyone knows that one., its Huntsville, Alabama.At 160,000 people a little large , but you wouldn't know it. Lots of culture best place in Alabama to live . The other area near buy is Decatur, smaller and less expensive.
You could go the other way , north and find some very nice places in or near the mountains , like Asheville, great arts and crafts, college, liberal, and at 3,000 ft. a little cooler than N Ga. but not much.That would be my pick, or some of the surrounding small towns and cities. I lived in Highlands,NC for 18 years a perfect place to live, no crime, no AC , no bugs, and wonderful views, Not sure why I left, I guess I thought during the last downturn in the economy I should be closer to Chicago. N. Ga . is OK ,but it gets very hot in summer.

Old 10-28-2011, 01:23 PM

9,617 posts, read 6,062,579 times
Try again Darstar. Population was a hint that you disregarded.

We don't mind two and a half to three months of high heat and humidity. Longer would be another deal. Besides, we plan on finding a summer rental for one to two months in Marquette, or some other locale in the UP or beneath the bridge.

Old 10-28-2011, 01:37 PM

1,920 posts, read 4,320,317 times
In our early 50's we thought we wanted to be in the mountains islaoted from people. But then we built the cabin there, and tried to live there on weekends. We realized it was too isolated, too provincial, and too far from shopping and medical facilities. We also realized we hated stinking hot humid summers. While I loved the mountains, my wife loved the beach, and it was more than 300 miles from a beach. After seeing 27 pictures of lighthouses spread through out a small cabin, I finally got the idea on that one.

So we sold the 40 acre property islated in the moutains of western pa. And recently sold our other house in southeatern pa. And in about a week we are moving north, on the coast to within 2 hours of the canadian border.

So we are moving to a place that has

Old 10-28-2011, 01:52 PM

5,544 posts, read 8,314,247 times
Hi OP

Saying Johnson City, TN home of ETSU School of Medicine, etc

Spartanburg, SC was a runner up but the size of the population is way lower than the 60K you mentioned.

Old 10-28-2011, 01:58 PM

and my thinking has evolved, more toward home which happens to be in WNC which is above average COL, etc. But I know my way around, know people, have family there plus all the practical needs.

Florida, where I live now is nice, but it is so geographically distant from family and as I have started having health problems, I see more value in going home.

But my town is a great town and I will be happy to live here until the $ say time to sell and move on.

Old 10-28-2011, 03:05 PM

Ding, ding, ding. We have a winnah. Still studying the area, so we'll see. Twenty-six months and counting.
Quote:
Originally Posted by theoldnorthstate View Post
Hi OP

Saying Johnson City, TN home of ETSU School of Medicine, etc

Spartanburg, SC was a runner up but the size of the population is way lower than the 60K you mentioned.

Old 10-28-2011, 03:38 PM

I drove from Ashe county, NC through Bakersville (Mitchell County) to Roan Mtn, TN, through Johnson City to Knoxville and looked at potential retirement areas along the way.

My impression of Johnson City at that time was that it would be a good place for a family, but I thought, as a retired lady on my own, I might be out of place and perhaps lonely since my grandchildren are now in Charlotte, NC.

As I have evolved in my thinking, that may not have been exactly fair to Johnson City and it may have wonderful places for retirees that weren't obvious to me in that one visit.

So good luck on your hunt and IMO folks from Tennessee are good people.

Old 10-29-2011, 07:36 AM

Thanks for the good wishes oldnorthstate. We'll continue to investigate.

Our grand children are scattered around the Southeast, SC, AL and GA. We have decided that while we want to be in the same region as family, it is not necessary to be in the same town/city. Besides, we can't count on them staying put, or good relations always being there. So, within in hailing distance will probably be good enough.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement