Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-02-2011, 12:25 AM

23,200 posts, read 29,004,341 times

Advertisements

I made over a dozen trips to Central/South America over the last 10 years considering being an ex-pat, and I've now ruled that idea out completely, given that the Global world will be coming to every neighborhood eventually. I just didn't see the cost advantage.

Then the boom came and as I saw my townhouse zoom in value to $200k, then my retirement planning took on a new dimension, buy something cheap somewhere, bank the rest, retire early. Down the drain went that planning here in Foreclosure City, USA, with the townhouses in my 433-unit complex now going for $25k at auctions here.

And given I refuse to retire somewhere and have a mortgage, what options do I have now? Yup! Your choice of states with equally dismal real estate prices!

So, one year away from retirement, I must think: What if the prices don't go back up or stay the same, my options?

On a scouting trip to Tucson recently I discovered some great Co-op buildings with units going for $17k (1 bedroom) to $25k (two bedrooms). And I like the idea of Co-op buildings where the HOA fee covers a whole lot more than a Condo building.

So that's where I'm at right now! Tucson! From Nogales, 65 miles south, I can hop a bus to Guaymas on the coast, about a 4-5 hour bus ride, about the same distance if I went to San Diego. Also cheap medical/dental care if I need it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2011, 08:12 AM

8,733 posts, read 15,930,551 times
There are places where real estate values did not go down so much...Just about anyplace on the Northern Tier. Western Canada also. If I were looking for a place to relocate where the economy is strong and growing, I would seek out one or more of these places. Northwestern ND and eastern Montana are booming.. get in on the ground floor now!
So many of the "resort/retirement" places never stay stable , just look at the history. I have seen so many boom and bust scenario's its like a broken record. Florida is a perfect example. These places , Vegas included are always going to ride the waves of the economy, good times and bad. The best place to retire or relocate will always be areas where little changes , where most people have nether heard of ,or don't want to consider for one reason or the other
On the other hand , opportunity's abound in the Northern Tier these days, and , many are great places to live when it comes to quality of life, natural environment, education, health ,etc. I for one would not want to retire in the cheapest hell hole ,just because its "affordable". . Go where the jobs are, where there is a future,for many of our younger people. Its makes for a much more pleasant place to live if you are around industrious,hard working, clean, intelligent people. One of the reasons College towns are always a good bet,along with health care near by..... If one wants to ride the wave of boom and bust, then its always about timing. be prepared to travel light, when the boom times are winding down.

Old 11-02-2011, 08:42 AM

419 posts, read 758,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
On a scouting trip to Tucson recently I discovered some great Co-op buildings with units going for $17k (1 bedroom) to $25k (two bedrooms). And I like the idea of Co-op buildings where the HOA fee covers a whole lot more than a Condo building.

So that's where I'm at right now! Tucson! From Nogales, 65 miles south, I can hop a bus to Guaymas on the coast, about a 4-5 hour bus ride, about the same distance if I went to San Diego. Also cheap medical/dental care if I need it.
How did you discover the co-ops? Any way to research co-ops online? Is this a 55+ co-op building? What ammenities are offered and do they allow pets? What is the hoa fee?

I lived in Arizona (Phoenix area) for 33 years before leaving in 2005. I visited Tucson many times over the years. While I do not know much about the city, I always got a good vibe when visiting. I always felt that I liked Tucson much better than Phoenix. I love Mexico too!

I am happy in my present location except dealing with the high pollen counts in the Spring & Fall. However as I age, I am seriously considering moving back to Arizona probably settling in Sun City. I feel that conveniences & services are more readily available in Sun City than where I live now. If I should decide to make the move, it should be done sooner than later. A monumental move, but right now I am in good enough physical condition to accomplish it. That might not be the case several years down the road.

Old 11-02-2011, 09:27 AM

16,042 posts, read 21,959,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCBaker View Post
I am happy in my present location.... However as I age, I am seriously considering moving back to Arizona probably settling in Sun City. I feel that conveniences & services are more readily available in Sun City than where I live now. If I should decide to make the move, it should be done sooner than later. A monumental move, but right now I am in good enough physical condition to accomplish it. That might not be the case several years down the road.
This is my situation pretty much. Happy in my location, but is it the right place for older age?? This October storm that has knocked out our power and brought in an early winter would not have fazed me 5 or 10 years ago, but now it's a different story. Also, rising costs here due to (unnecessary) town spending is going to be a factor for me...why pay for services I don't want or need? My dilemma is not wanting to move far from family and a few very good friends. The question for me is, what kind of situation do I want? To search on the internet is like trying to decide what to buy at a bakery standing outside the picture window looking in.

Do you have a place to sell now, and friends waiting for you in Sun City? Are you aiming for spring?

Old 11-02-2011, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
This is my situation pretty much. Happy in my location, but is it the right place for older age?? This October storm that has knocked out our power and brought in an early winter would not have fazed me 5 or 10 years ago, but now it's a different story. Also, rising costs here due to (unnecessary) town spending is going to be a factor for me...why pay for services I don't want or need? My dilemma is not wanting to move far from family and a few very good friends. The question for me is, what kind of situation do I want? To search on the internet is like trying to decide what to buy at a bakery standing outside the picture window looking in.

Do you have a place to sell now, and friends waiting for you in Sun City? Are you aiming for spring?
Living out your final years in hot,dry heat humans can not handle is not the way to live ether, at any age. Who wants to be saddled by living indoors huddled alongside the AC unit ?..... Remember a couple of movies, they will help understand the flexibility we all share,whether we know it or not." Grumpy old men" and " The bucket List". Do what you always have wanted to do but haven't done it yet, and leave all the rest to fate. Once you are dead , you are dead, No one really cares and even if they do ,what does it matter at that late date?. Live life for today, you can not rewind yesterday once its gone!

Old 11-02-2011, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darstar View Post
Living out your final years in hot,dry heat humans can not handle is not the way to live ether, at any age. Who wants to be saddled by living indoors huddled alongside the AC unit ?..... Remember a couple of movies, they will help understand the flexibility we all share,whether we know it or not." Grumpy old men" and " The bucket List". Do what you always have wanted to do but haven't done it yet, and leave all the rest to fate. Once you are dead , you are dead, No one really cares and even if they do ,what does it matter at that late date?. Live life for today, you can not rewind yesterday once its gone!
Why are you constantly on these threads making statements that are completely false? Your statement is nothing more than a personal opinion.

Phoenix is the 6th largest city by population in the country. There are over 4 million people residing in Maricopa County. So, it appears people are surviving the heat and most quite nicely. However, no doubt about it, it does get hot in the desert.

There is no reason to be huddled alongside the AC unit in the summertime unless you want to be. People take walks, play golf or sit on their patios in the early morning hours. The afternoons & evenings may include a dip in the pool, attend a class or function at a rec. center, a shopping trip, take in a movie or go out to eat. People actually sit on outdoor patios where there is a misting system installed. Actually, I think there is newer technology to keep the patios cool. Weekends may include a 2 hr. drive to the high country where it is cool. Did you know that there are many summer weddings where the couples get married outdoors? However, I would not suggest you run up and down Camelback Mtn. in the middle of the day. Yeah, there have been people who have actually tried that.

You have suggested Montana or ND as a retirement haven. States that are bitterly cold with non-stop wind. There is no housing in the boom areas of ND. I suppose a newly transplanted retiree could pitch a tent in the Wal-Mart shopping center if they could find an available spot. Good luck finding senior services. These suggestions belong in a book titled "My Retirement Dream Has Turned Into A Nightmare".

But again, it boils down to whatever makes you happy.

Old 11-02-2011, 11:28 AM

37,438 posts, read 61,329,236 times
Quote:
There are places where real estate values did not go down so much...
The same places where the bubble did not go.

Long term depressed areas did not experience the bubble, so they have very little to drop.

Old 11-02-2011, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCBaker View Post
Why are you constantly on these threads making statements that are completely false? Your statement is nothing more than a personal opinion.

Phoenix is the 6th largest city by population in the country. There are over 4 million people residing in Maricopa County. So, it appears people are surviving the heat and most quite nicely. However, no doubt about it, it does get hot in the desert.

There is no reason to be huddled alongside the AC unit in the summertime unless you want to be. People take walks, play golf or sit on their patios in the early morning hours. The afternoons & evenings may include a dip in the pool, attend a class or function at a rec. center, a shopping trip, take in a movie or go out to eat. People actually sit on outdoor patios where there is a misting system installed. Actually, I think there is newer technology to keep the patios cool. Weekends may include a 2 hr. drive to the high country where it is cool. Did you know that there are many summer weddings where the couples get married outdoors? However, I would not suggest you run up and down Camelback Mtn. in the middle of the day. Yeah, there have been people who have actually tried that.

You have suggested Montana or ND as a retirement haven. States that are bitterly cold with non-stop wind. There is no housing in the boom areas of ND. I suppose a newly transplanted retiree could pitch a tent in the Wal-Mart shopping center if they could find an available spot. Good luck finding senior services. These suggestions belong in a book titled "My Retirement Dream Has Turned Into A Nightmare".

But again, it boils down to whatever makes you happy.
Listen, you may not like some of the things I say, if you do not feel I have reason to express myself, than don't read my posts. Or as you said. I do not tell the truth ?.. Listen again, I have lived in many places around North America. Those I only visited often were repeats, because of business or hobby related. I think I have the credentials to say most of what you do not like . Its you that will not listen, not everyone wants to live in Sun City, I am offering an alternative view point.There are many folks in North Dakota that will think what you have said is wrong. I was only stating its nice to be around positive people, young and old. North Dakota has the lowest unemployment and is the healthiest state in the nation.If you do not think that means something when it comes to retirement and being happy, think again, or , ask some people who live there. There are quite a few on these threads.

Old 11-02-2011, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
The same places where the bubble did not go.

Long term depressed areas did not experience the bubble, so they have very little to drop.
You are mostly correct, I know , I live in one of those areas , and , I think you do too from past posts. The problem is not every remote place is depressed. Here in the UP and Marquette County , the unemployment has run about 8 per cent in good times. Yet , Marquette has won many,many awards as the best place to live and visit. The latest award reflects retirement, that's why I am here, along with the natural environment and active young people. Its a fun place to live and work, and yes , I have lived in those depressed places you refer to.Most of them were quite urban. Living on the wrong side of the track's is not always a bad thing ether, I have done both.

Old 11-02-2011, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Listen, you may not like some of the things I say, if you do not feel I have reason to express myself, than don't read my posts. Or as you said. I do not tell the truth ?.. Listen again, I have lived in many places around North America. Those I only visited often were repeats, because of business or hobby related. I think I have the credentials to say most of what you do not like . Its you that will not listen, not everyone wants to live in Sun City, I am offering an alternative view point.There are many folks in North Dakota that will think what you have said is wrong. I was only stating its nice to be around positive people, young and old. North Dakota has the lowest unemployment and is the healthiest state in the nation.If you do not think that means something when it comes to retirement and being happy, think again, or , ask some people who live there. There are quite a few on these threads.
Saying humans cannot handle hot dry heat does not lend much to your credibility. Of course, Sun City or any other area in Arizona does not appeal to many people. But other people are willing to put up with the summers in order to enjoy the rest of the year. Which is what people have to do in most all areas of the county. No ideal climate anywhere that is affordable.

AS far as the boomtowns of ND, you must have not been reading or following the news outlining the problems these areas are experiencing from the influx of people seeking jobs. Here is just one article from the mayor of Williston. Williston Mayor Reacts to `Rock Center` Boomtown Feature on KFYR-TV North Dakota's NBC News Leader

Unless I see something to the contrary, I don't think most people would consider these areas as a retirement destination.

If I am wrong, all of you posters living in ND please feel free to correct me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement