Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2011, 10:41 AM

37,441 posts, read 61,346,326 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCBaker View Post
... So, is this an unusual winter for all of us, or changing weather patterns that are going to be with us for the forseeable future? Anyone care to guess?
I think that our ever changing weather system will continue to be fluid and changing. No two years will ever be exactly alike. The best that we can do is to monitor and watch the averages.

B.Franklin's Almanac comes to mind.

You know what the recorded high for any given day is, the recorded low, the ten year average, and in some cases 7-year trend cycles.

None of A.Gore's Nuclear Winter's, nor any of his Global Warming patterns.

Instead I think that for the most part weather for each given day will fit within the parameters between the recorded high and recorded low; and likely within +/-10% of the ten-year average.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2011, 11:05 AM

30,484 posts, read 16,194,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarathu View Post
Where ya movin' in maine?

if I had to decide right now, I'd probably move to the Hancock area.

Don't really know why-just feels right.

Old 02-09-2011, 03:12 PM

1,920 posts, read 4,318,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pahippo View Post
if i had to decide right now, i'd probably move to the hancock area.

Don't really know why-just feels right.
you mean.... Mdi?

Old 02-10-2011, 10:15 PM

30,484 posts, read 16,194,511 times
Quote:
you mean.... Mdi?

nope, but close. Just a but north, as the seagull flies.

Old 03-18-2011, 03:51 PM

739 posts, read 1,847,516 times
We moved from SoCal to Ashland, Oregon five years ago when the DH retired. We like it here but get fed up with winter by March (like, now). We don't get much snow and have never shoveled but it can be gray, gloomy and misty for days at a time. I don't want to go out or do anything. It's hard to decide whether snow is better than misty rain, actually.

I miss SoCal and would go back in a minute but it is way too expensive for us retirees. So I spend time online looking at places and figuring out what to do. One of our daughters lives in Tucson and I love that area but don't know about those summers.... Maybe it wouldn't bother me too much but my ex-Brit spouse wouldn't be too keen. He doesn't mind the winters here as much as I do.

One thing I've learned from my research is that different people like different things and there's no one-size-fits-all. Not real deep, but real.

Old 03-19-2011, 10:23 AM

1,236 posts, read 4,046,542 times
Talking Hiya ExNooYawk ~~

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExNooYawk View Post
We moved from SoCal to Ashland, Oregon five years ago when the DH retired. We like it here but get fed up with winter by March (like, now). We don't get much snow and have never shoveled but it can be gray, gloomy and misty for days at a time. I don't want to go out or do anything. It's hard to decide whether snow is better than misty rain, actually.

I miss SoCal and would go back in a minute but it is way too expensive for us retirees. So I spend time online looking at places and figuring out what to do. One of our daughters lives in Tucson and I love that area but don't know about those summers.... Maybe it wouldn't bother me too much but my ex-Brit spouse wouldn't be too keen. He doesn't mind the winters here as much as I do.

One thing I've learned from my research is that different people like different things and there's no one-size-fits-all. Not real deep, but real.
I think we are neighbors, kinda ~~

From Noo Yawk to Rogue River ~ LOL !

Old 03-19-2011, 11:55 AM

8,091 posts, read 15,425,985 times
Quote:
In Arizona - you could try looking at the areas of Prescott or Payson or Show Low. Then you're looking at a 3 to 4 hour drive to Tucson.

All the Rim Country/White Mountain towns/villages have pine trees and 4 seasons - very little snow (melts quickly within 1 to 3 days) and summers that are much much cooler than 'in the valley'.

Housing price-wise and taxes - - Prescott (Yavapai County) is the highest, Payson (Gila County) is in the middle, and Show Low (Navajo County) is the lowest.

All 3 counties are a bargain compared with California or Oregon

♫ Arizona's on my mind
I really miss her in the morning
Everyday I wake to find
Sweet Arizona on my mind ♫

Old 03-19-2011, 06:50 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,962,233 times
Quote:
It's hard to decide whether snow is better than misty rain, actually.
Many, many cold winter days in Western New England are sunny and bright. You can actually count on the entire week between Christmas and New Years day being so (I observe this b/c that is my birthday week, and I'm always happy that the skies are blue and clear, even if it's cold).

I imagine it's that way a lot in Minn. and Wisc and Iowa?

Anyway, a little gray drizzle for a few days here and there anyone can get through. I think it's a real bummer if it lasts any length of time, unless you are so busy you haven't got time to notice. It's a tossup--milder gray gloomy drizzly winters, or cold snowy winters with a good deal of sun. Not sure which I prefer.

Old 03-20-2011, 11:53 AM

37,441 posts, read 61,346,326 times
Quote:
Being from central California myself, I am familiar with over-cast skies, fog and gray all winter long. Once those clouds move in during November they can not climb up over the Sierra Nevadas, so they sit in the valley all winter long. Ick

Then when we lived in Bremerton Washington, it was even more than just winter. They get overcast and rain all year around.

It makes stuff green, but you so rarely see sunlight that we did not really like it as much.

Thankfully now we are in Maine.

Through the winters, we normally see one day of storm every week, the rest of each week is sunny clear skies. Far more sun than we saw living in California.

I find it interesting here when folks talk about S.A.D. the glare coming up off the snow blanket, to me makes it terribly bright. Not the least bit dark or gloomy. I commonly wear brazing goggles to drive because it is so bright outside in the winter.

Quote:
... I miss SoCal and would go back in a minute but it is way too expensive for us retirees. So I spend time online looking at places and figuring out what to do. One of our daughters lives in Tucson and I love that area but don't know about those summers.... Maybe it wouldn't bother me too much but my ex-Brit spouse wouldn't be too keen. He doesn't mind the winters here as much as I do.

I do here you about the cost-of-living in SoCal. I have siblings there. No way I could afford to live there on my pension.

Thankfully we found a low cost / low tax region to live in.

Old 03-20-2011, 12:03 PM

5,513 posts, read 5,238,196 times
Quote:
We are moving from south central PA to coastal Maine 2 hrs from the Canadian border in about 6 months to a year. I already own the property in Maine. All I have to do is retire, and sell my current house, and I'm outta here. Temp differences are about 6 degress less in the day time and 10 degrees at night in fall, winter, spring, and about 20 degrees less in the daytime and 20 degrees at night in the summer. BTW, my current house is in the price range that is selling, and is a steal.

Additionally, since its part of the most famous National Park on the East Coast, friends and family will actually want to visit us in the spring, summer, and fall.

Zarathu
Statistics on temperatures don't really tell you the difference between upper Maine and south central PA. A few snowy and icy winters that last from September to late May, and you may be regretting your move.

The number of hours of sunlight in the far north are also pretty small compared to living in Florida. Even here in southern NH, December days are pitch-black by 4:15 p.m., even on the rare days when there wasn't cloud-cover.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement