U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2011, 08:18 AM

419 posts, read 657,930 times

Advertisements

Another reason to carefully research retirement communities:

Mean old girls: Seniors who bully - Health - Aging - msnbc.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2011, 03:02 PM

6,954 posts, read 7,391,767 times
Like most bullies, they are basically cowards and need a group to carry out their pretense. Get them on a one on one and see how tuf they are. Or, bop them a good one

Old 02-16-2011, 03:13 PM

29,988 posts, read 37,210,127 times
I don't think that one is going to uncover bullies in doing reseach on long term care/assisted living facilities. Like any place where people reside 24/7 the atmosphere changes with changes in the staff and changes in the population living there.

Some of these seniors may have been dominate bully-type personalites all their lives. Others may have developed the behavior as a result of their forced communal living environment or physiological factors such as early dementia.

Often you have seniors who would rather be living independently or with their families who are genuinely angry about their circumstances. Since misery loves company and the people at whom they would like to direct their anger are not at the facility, they strike out at whomever is handy.

If anyone thinks this situation warrants attention now just wait about 60 years when the bully girls of today's generation text are in long term care facilities!

Old 02-17-2011, 07:35 PM

592 posts, read 1,577,201 times
It just proves that old saying, "You can't teach an old dog new tricks". You'd think that by the time you get older you'd have learned some compassion and empathy for others. I steered clear of people like that in grammar school and will until the day I die. Who needs them?!! Maybe I'll have to get my New York language out of storage and if those kind of women try to pick on me I'll just have to tell them to "F*** Off"!!

SORRY IF I OFFENDED ANYONE.

Old 02-17-2011, 10:37 PM

354 posts, read 1,089,261 times
I can see where little cliques would develop in a community of any size and do not see anything wrong with them. People with shared interests, abilities and backgrounds would have a natural affinity for each others company. It is unfortunate that others who do not have that much in common with those folks would feel excluded but it is really their problem and not the fault of the group they don't quite fit in.

I agree with "JudiPatooti" in that you would think with the benefit of the experiences one accrues over a lifetime you would have learned some humility, compassion and empathy for others and not be intentionally cruel to anybody. People who intentionally diminish quality of life of others that are doing no harm to them stink.

Old 02-18-2011, 12:09 PM

48,516 posts, read 83,922,814 times
There are grouchy people in just about every force grouping really.There are clickish people also.Look at the probelm in public housig where people have liitle else to do often than comflcit.

Old 02-18-2011, 04:39 PM

5,822 posts, read 13,315,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JudiPatooti View Post
It just proves that old saying, "You can't teach an old dog new tricks". You'd think that by the time you get older you'd have learned some compassion and empathy for others. I steered clear of people like that in grammar school and will until the day I die. Who needs them?!! Maybe I'll have to get my New York language out of storage and if those kind of women try to pick on me I'll just have to tell them to "F*** Off"!!

SORRY IF I OFFENDED ANYONE.
I'm with you JudiPatooti! I may have been hurt and bullied in middle school, but no way would I let this gang of old bi%ches, bother me now without standing up for myself and confronting the "leader." The only reason the others go along with her is they are scared to be excluded. Sad. Some women never learn to stand on their own two feet and at times stand alone for their own principles.

Old 02-19-2011, 08:14 AM

16,042 posts, read 18,973,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
If anyone thinks this situation warrants attention now just wait about 60 years when the bully girls of today's generation text are in long term care facilities!
Yes indeed, what a frightening thought!

Old 02-19-2011, 08:15 AM

16,042 posts, read 18,973,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JudiPatooti View Post
Who needs them?!! Maybe I'll have to get my New York language out of storage and if those kind of women try to pick on me I'll just have to tell them to "F*** Off"!!
o
I'd just reveal that I'm Italian and drop a few Mafia names....and what a shame about that bully who never came back from a visit to Boston Harbor....

Old 02-19-2011, 08:23 AM

2,177 posts, read 2,915,757 times
Wow! what a grim article. But really, I believe it happens. I am not in that age bracket quite yet, but I do work with some older women who are indeed bullies. They will be in this catagory when they retire and move to some sort of senior living.

As others have said here, people who are mean as younger adults will be mean older adults. And like Judi above, I would tell them to F* off in no uncertain terms. It is just about the only way to command their attention.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or