Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2011, 01:06 PM

6,884 posts, read 11,240,908 times

Advertisements

I was born with vision problems, blind in 1 eye, poor sight in the other but the fear for me is total blindness and then being old on top of that is a scary thought for me.

I think about this more and more especially after losing my mom a year ago. I feel her speaking to me sometimes much more than she did here on Earth. I also think of my dad often and he has been gone almost 11 years. He was 72when he died; my mom was 89.

As a parent, I have not a good job of passing the baton and I need to start working on that. My dad was so good getting us all together - there are a lot of us - and I need to continue that. Just need to do it. I have some many wonderful nieces and nephews and our own children, of course and my sibs, all still here.

It does make you think.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2011, 01:52 PM

5,139 posts, read 8,847,756 times
I'm actually enjoying my sixties much more than any decade of life because I guess I don't feel as much pressure any more. I don't worry nearly as much, I guess because I realize more than ever, that life is short so I "try" to enjoy each day and also help somebody else along the way. I've known all my life that mine was a spiritual journey so that keeps things fresh, interesting and challenging.

Old 02-22-2011, 09:33 PM

13,814 posts, read 28,493,779 times
Default The Song of The River

The snow melts on the mountain
And the water runs down to the spring,
And the spring in a turbulent fountain,
With a song of youth to sing,
Runs down to the riotous river,
And the river flows to the sea,
And the water again
Goes back in rain
To the hills where it used to be.
And I wonder if life's deep mystery
Isn't much like the rain and the snow
Returning through all eternity
To the places it used to know.
For life was born on the lofty heights
And flows in a laughing stream,
To the river below
Whose onward flow
Ends in a peaceful dream.
And so at last,
When our life has passed
And the river has run its course,
It again goes back,
O'er the selfsame track,
To the mountain which was its source.
So why prize life
Or why fear death,
Or dread what is to be?
The river ran
Its allotted span
Till it reached the silent sea.
Then the water harked back
To the mountain-top
To begin its course once more.
So we shall run
The course begun
Till we reach the silent shore.
Then revisit earth
In a pure rebirth
From the heart of the virgin snow.
So don't ask why
We live or die,
Or whither, or when we go,
Or wonder about the mysteries
That only God may know.

----William Randolph Hearst

Old 02-22-2011, 09:40 PM

6,884 posts, read 11,240,908 times
Smile A good way to put it

Quote:
Originally Posted by loveautumn View Post
I'm actually enjoying my sixties much more than any decade of life because I guess I don't feel as much pressure any more. I don't worry nearly as much, I guess because I realize more than ever, that life is short so I "try" to enjoy each day and also help somebody else along the way. I've known all my life that mine was a spiritual journey so that keeps things fresh, interesting and challenging.
You are so right - very positive thought. I had to worry about my parents at the age of 15, then when my husband and I married, that continued. Then, we had children so we've been sandwiched. Now, I want to take a few years and get things balanced for us so I can say what you said exactly.

I do want to leave a good footprint,though.

Old 02-22-2011, 09:44 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,838,702 times
I don't obcess about it really. But I always attend to things that will make say my wife 's life easier if I die. But after doing it I turn and live my life as I always have.Beig a christian I do not fear death at all as its just part of living on thsi earth and i have seen death of friends and people i know mnay times and come very close myself at one time.Reminds me of a friend and I talkig about vitnam. He was in a company that was ambushed and he said one minute I knew I was dying then four days later awoke in Guam and they told me I wasn't going to die just yet.

Old 02-23-2011, 03:56 AM

23,173 posts, read 26,189,754 times
I do think about it but it always seems to center around not leaving a nice neat easy-to-figure out financial package.
I handle all of the money/paperwork side of our life.Actually, I take care of everything so it even spreads to things like "where are the keys to....."
I get visions of my husband/kids cursing me rather than crying over my demise
It's probably not all that bad but the husband is not in good health and the kids seem to be missing that portion of the brain that deals with anything connected to dollar signs.(except how to spend them)

Old 02-23-2011, 04:37 AM

18,722 posts, read 33,380,506 times
I'm an atheist and I don't fear death. It's just the end of life. Maybe we become molecules and light and our personalities evaporate. No biggie.

Old 02-23-2011, 05:31 AM

37,801 posts, read 41,003,240 times
I only think about it when I don't clean my apartment. What would people think of me if I died tomorrow and found this mess?

Oh wait, the other time I think about it is when I decide to do something with automatic bill pay...what if I croaked and all of this money is still being automatically deducted from my checking account...

Old 02-23-2011, 11:37 AM

5,139 posts, read 8,847,756 times
too funny LOL

Old 02-24-2011, 07:50 PM

6,369 posts, read 6,407,529 times
Many thoughtful and interesting posts here.

For me, it goes like this: If you knew you were dying, what would you do differently? How would you change your life? Well, here's a news flash: you are dying. The mortality rate is 100%.

My father told me that when he was dying at 62, when I was 26. We better have a little fun every day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement