Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2011, 09:40 AM

231 posts, read 494,944 times

Advertisements

For me, I will work till age 68 or 69 and not draw SS till then. The 8% per year increase in earnings is a great return in today's economic times. Does not make sense to retire at age 62, which limits the amount of earnings (lose one dollar for every two earned). In addition, working longer increases the monthly check due to larger annual earnings replacing lower annual salaries in the early years. (My family history has long lives-my father was 97)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2011, 10:14 AM

28,803 posts, read 47,667,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbill View Post
For me, I will work till age 68 or 69 and not draw SS till then. The 8% per year increase in earnings is a great return in today's economic times. Does not make sense to retire at age 62, which limits the amount of earnings (lose one dollar for every two earned). In addition, working longer increases the monthly check due to larger annual earnings replacing lower annual salaries in the early years. (My family history has long lives-my father was 97)
This only holds true for an amount earned over the amount of SS received.

Old 02-23-2011, 11:25 AM

15,128 posts, read 32,299,346 times
Quote:
This is fine, if you can afford to wait, but some of us can't. Even though I have 40 years as an Administrative Assistant, I haven't been able to find another job.

There are too many factors working against me.

1. My age
2. I'm not bilingual
3. I don't do heavy lifting (yes, in an office)
4. I don't have the experience that they want
5. I don't have (and never heard of) the programs that they want.

It's ridiculous.

So I applied for my SS at age 62, and will continue to work.

Old 02-23-2011, 11:50 AM

231 posts, read 494,944 times
Moved: I understand what works for one, won't for another. Many of my friends are taking SS at age 62 for the same reason as you and/or they are just tired of working. From national news accounts many people are signing up at age 62 just to survive. May I ask..did your employer let you go after 40 years or you retired from the job?

Old 02-23-2011, 12:03 PM

8,935 posts, read 20,356,695 times
Same here!
Due to my hip replacement in '05 and rotator cuff surgery in '07, I can't do the full-time warehouse "thing" that I did years ago. Besides that, office work is my "thing" now. As far as lifting goes, most ads I've seen say "must be able to lift 50 lbs at at least". All I can say is "no can do!"
Have run into that wayyyyyy to often!......"not the experience they want"
There have been programs for Purchasing/Inventory that I've learned (OJT), but haven't found a company yet that uses any of the ones I know and they aren't willing to train, like they use to.
I 100% have to agree with "moved" below......it IS ridiculous!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by moved View Post
This is fine, if you can afford to wait, but some of us can't. Even though I have 40 years as an Administrative Assistant, I haven't been able to find another job.

There are too many factors working against me.

1. My age
2. I'm not bilingual
3. I don't do heavy lifting (yes, in an office)
4. I don't have the experience that they want
5. I don't have (and never heard of) the programs that they want.
It's ridiculous.

So I applied for my SS at age 62, and will continue to work.

Old 02-23-2011, 12:34 PM

14,016 posts, read 20,895,598 times
Default Correction

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
This only holds true for an amount earned over the amount of SS received.
The above is not expressed quite right. The Social Security earnings cap holds true for an amount earned over the amount of the cap itself, which has nothing to do with the amount of SS received. The cap in 2010 was $14,160. If you have not yet reached full retirement age, $1 is deducted from your benefit for every $2 earned above $14,160.

Old 02-23-2011, 03:45 PM

28,113 posts, read 63,632,569 times
My father didn't start drawing until he was 70... he still kept working 55 to 60 hour weeks...

Step-Grandfather never drew and worked basically a 40 hour week till his mid 80's and never took Social Security... when he died, my Grandmother received a hefty check based on his earnings and not drawing... around $3500 a month and this was 12 years ago.

These are the only people I know that continued working full time...

Old 02-23-2011, 03:57 PM

14,016 posts, read 20,895,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
My father didn't start drawing until he was 70... he still kept working 55 to 60 hour weeks...Step-Grandfather never drew and worked basically a 40 hour week till his mid 80's and never took Social Security... when he died, my Grandmother received a hefty check based on his earnings and not drawing... around $3500 a month and this was 12 years ago. These are the only people I know that continued working full time...
Interesting. I hadn't ever imagined a situation where it wouldn't be foolish to delay taking Soc. Sec. beyond age 70, as I had never thought about it in terms of spousal benefits. However, if you have no spouse, delaying beyond 70 is crazy, as your amount will never be larger; you are just declining to draw money that is sitting there waiting for you. Also, if your grandmother had died shortly after your step-grandfather, then it would have also been a gift to the Social Security Trust Fund.

Old 02-23-2011, 04:54 PM

15,128 posts, read 32,299,346 times
Quote:
Moved: I understand what works for one, won't for another. Many of my friends are taking SS at age 62 for the same reason as you and/or they are just tired of working. From national news accounts many people are signing up at age 62 just to survive. May I ask..did your employer let you go after 40 years or you retired from the job?
I was working for a large school district as a substitute administrative assistant/secretary/school clerk. I worked in different schools when the permanent employees needed to take time off. I was written up several female principals and a female administrator over the course of 3 1/2 years, and was subsequently terminated on two hours notice. It boiled down the the fact that apparently these particular women didn't like me for some reason, and wrote up a bunch of lies. But three years later, I'm still getting calls from people that want me to work.

Old 02-23-2011, 06:59 PM

361 posts, read 737,001 times
I still work but get widow's benefit on ex-spouse account.
My own benefit would be more.
I can apply for that when I finally retire, should I be blessed to live that long!
I'm "mature" enough that no portion is deducted on account of earnings.
Most of the SS goes to my kids...we call it "child support" as they lacked that through the years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement