Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2011, 08:23 PM

5,089 posts, read 15,397,079 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by xz2y View Post
Where do you live? A 21# turkey for $6?? Last Thanksgiving around here, a 21# turkey was about $15.00. I'm finding that fresh vegetables are very expensive (non organic), and even basics like carrots, potatoes, and onions are running well over $1.30/pound. Farmers markets are even more expensive and I've searched all the local grocery stores, I shop the sales, etc. I also eat sardines and tuna, etc. Food is escalating in price!! I also don't eat a lot of animal protein, and do eat cabbage (cheap) (under $1.00/pound), which is cheaper than most fresh vegetables. I don't eat in restaurants and bake all of my own whole wheat bread. Even with all of that, I still spend close to $200/month on food for one person eating modestly and buying no processed or prepared foods at all. I'd love to find a less expensive place to live.
I live near Denver and if you know where to look and how to buy--food is cheap. Every Thanksgiving the Sooper Markets sell turkeys for about 5-6 dollars. King Soopers (Kroger) sold 20 lb. plus turkey for $6. This has been going on for years. I buy at least one extra, sometimes more and make multiple meals. I have been buying onions for 2o cents a lb.--brown, white and sometimes red. Carrots are available for 49-79 cents a lb.

Fruits are Vegetables are really cheap at the ethnic market. This is a link to Liboria Market--a chain out of Los Angeles that specializes in South American, Central American and Mexican--the Hispanic Culture:

Si es de Allálo Tenemos Aquí

and the current weekly ad for my area
Si es de Allálo Tenemos Aquí

To make clear that much of the produce is of US origin--apples do not grow in Mexico. All ethnic dairy products are made in the US. As you can see the prices are very reasonable. The products are fresh and the variety is excellent. When, I go to this market, I find many Asians also shopping because the area is a mixed Hispanic and Asian area--near my home.

We just past St. Patty's Day--the only good for this drunken slob holiday is that one can buy cabbage cheap. I bought it at 39 cents a lb. but cabbage can be had at the Hispanic Market, at times for 20 cents a lb. I did not buy corned beef--that is just chemical injected garbage. It is better to buy a plain brisket which is healthier and cheaper.

I do not shop at those overpriced yuppie farmer's markets. I have found much fraud and deceptions in the products available. In this area, some of the market products are faked as local raised and are not really a farmers market as I knew in New York. I prefer to go out of Denver into the farm areas and shop at roadside states of actual farmers. We have some good farms started by the Japanese immigrants in the last century that offer good values. I live fairly close to some local small truck farms that are my source in the summer.

One important facet of the Hispanic market is that this ethnic group is more connected to the produce available in the Southwest, the big growing areas of California and the abundant produce from South of Border. This is the origin of most of the produce that is sold commercially in Colorado. Colorado actually does have good produce available in the summer--and are good values but other parts of the year, much is imported. When, I was young in New York, the produce vendors, in the commercial markets were predominately Italian--so that had the connections for good value. Today, the Hispanic are the people in the know, especially in this area of the country.

Every area that has a large ethnic community has their ethnic market and they are especially good value if the people have less economic advantages. When my father was a child that was the Italian Market. However, Italians have achieved wealth and their market do not have values products--these markets sell expensive products. So, today the emerging classes of Hispanics and Asians have the best valued markets for their needs. That is the places to shop to be frugal. However, one must know food; how to prepare food; and accept differences and adapt some different ways of cooking and eating.

Livecontent

Last edited by livecontent; 03-22-2011 at 08:46 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2011, 06:09 AM

16,042 posts, read 21,963,273 times
LiveContent,

Still waiting for your book. I will design and put it together and you can market it on the forum -- without revealing your identity. Just have to figure out a PO box to send orders, and who to make the checks out to
You think I'm kidding....

Old 03-23-2011, 10:29 AM

2,420 posts, read 4,367,597 times
Unfortunately I don't have a large Hispanic supermarket where I live now. There was one in Az. that I loved. I have discovered an Asian Market about 7 miles from where I live and I agree, the prices are very good. I wanted to make Miso soup from scratch a few weeks ago and went to Whole Foods to buy ingredients. A day later I discovered the Asian supermarket, and could buy the same stuff in much larger quantities for 1/3 of the price.

Old 03-23-2011, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by modhatter View Post
Unfortunately I don't have a large Hispanic supermarket where I live now. There was one in Az. that I loved. I have discovered an Asian Market about 7 miles from where I live and I agree, the prices are very good. I wanted to make Miso soup from scratch a few weeks ago and went to Whole Foods to buy ingredients. A day later I discovered the Asian supermarket, and could buy the same stuff in much larger quantities for 1/3 of the price.
Yes, beware WF, it can eat your paycheck. I will not shop there anymore or at so-called "food co-ops" where you can be a member for a small discount but the prices are just as high. LiveContent's advice has me looking around for an Asian market, I think I know where. I have always been an advocate of whole foods and organic produce, but there comes a time when this becomes luxury items for a certain kind of elite. Great that they can continue to afford it. My mother lived to 92 and was never hospitalized outside of birthing. She ate little and would not know what an organic anything is if it stared her in the face. I AM pro-organic, but can only afford what is affordable.

Old 03-23-2011, 06:19 PM

Yup. It's expensive to eat healthy. (at least around here)
Not for the likes of us Poor Folks.

Old 03-23-2011, 07:47 PM

Rich does not mean eating healthy and poor does not mean eating unhealthy; it is about choices.

I would submit that a diet of pasta, legumes, an assortment of available fruits and vegetables with a little meat and fish on occasion is healthier, more natural or at least more environmentally friendly than a large lean ranged feed bison steak with selected, equal sized, polished, organic fruits and vegetables accompanied by craft brewed beer followed by natural ice cream.

The uneducated poor and the over comsumptive rich in this country, with the influence of capitalistic marketing, make bad choices by buying excessive amount of overprocessed, overpriced, dubious "value added" prepared products. The poor in the undeveloped world eats what is market available. As long as these poor have the available commodities of grains, legumes, fruits and vegetables--they will eat healthier than the stupid poor and pampered rich of the USA. Organic, Natural, Range Feed add little to the diet of the wanting,world poor because the main issue is availability of sufficient nutrients and necessary calories.

Livecontent

Old 03-24-2011, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by livecontent View Post
Rich does not mean eating healthy and poor does not mean eating unhealthy; it is about choices.

I would submit that a diet of pasta, legumes, an assortment of available fruits and vegetables with a little meat and fish on occasion is healthier, more natural or at least more environmentally friendly than a large lean ranged feed bison steak with selected, equal sized, polished, organic fruits and vegetables accompanied by craft brewed beer followed by natural ice cream.

The uneducated poor and the over comsumptive rich in this country, with the influence of capitalistic marketing, make bad choices by buying excessive amount of overprocessed, overpriced, dubious "value added" prepared products. The poor in the undeveloped world eats what is market available. As long as these poor have the available commodities of grains, legumes, fruits and vegetables--they will eat healthier than the stupid poor and pampered rich of the USA. Organic, Natural, Range Feed add little to the diet of the wanting,world poor because the main issue is availability of sufficient nutrients and necessary calories.

Livecontent
The processed foods are what wreck our health, I agree. And we do overconsume. I am always struck by the lovely smiles and beautiful white teeth of people of other cultures on very primitive diets (I'm not talking about the desperately poor, but indigenous peoples eating the simple foods of their locale).

LC, what do you think of supplements?

One of the reason I couldn't stand going into WF is the overwhelming presence of rows and rows of supplements, almost like a store in itself. One can easily get completely overwhelmed by the range (and COST ) of supplments we "must have" in order to stay healthy, and so many of the health gurus go on and on about how many IUs of this and that we should be consuming.

I just take D-3 (we have long winters here), kelp tablets, cod liver oil, and brewer's yeast. But when I went into WF I felt like I must be seriously lacking in least a dozen somethings and started to get a panic attack. My mother lived to 92 and never took a single supplement, multivitamin, or medication of any kind (I know, as she never went to a doctor). All she had in her med cabinet was aspirin. And she ate supermarket food (but ate little).

What's your take on supplements in general?

Old 03-24-2011, 06:42 PM

LiveContent. It depends where you live. Where I live, I only have Publix and Win Dixie. One medium pepper cost $1.99, so if I need peppers for a dish that's $4.00 just for the peppers alone. Lemons and limes are 3 for $2.00. Fresh brussel sprouts are $5.00 for a small container. One artichoke is $3.99. Oranges and apples $2.99 lb One Hauss avacado is $1 - $1.50 ea. Tomatoes are out of sight.

I buy lemons and limes at Costco, but all Costco fruits and veg's are on their last leg and sometimes going bad before you get them home. (mostly their fruits) They have a few frozen large bags of broccoli and mixed vegies, but I don't have the freezer room for them.

We have specials of course at our local grocery store, but the things I like are seldom on sale or I miss the sale. Like this week they have a special on Tangerines and White grapes. I don't care for either one of these. You would think that oranges since they are grown here in Florida would be cheap, but they are expensive as heck.

I have not found a source around here for prices anywhere near what you have found near where you live. Think you need to be in a bigger city, or live out where the farmers are.

Old 03-24-2011, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by modhatter View Post
LiveContent. It depends where you live. Where I live, I only have Publix and Win Dixie. One medium pepper cost $1.99, so if I need peppers for a dish that's $4.00 just for the peppers alone. Lemons and limes are 3 for $2.00. Fresh brussel sprouts are $5.00 for a small container. One artichoke is $3.99. Oranges and apples $2.99 lb One Hauss avacado is $1 - $1.50 ea. Tomatoes are out of sight.

I buy lemons and limes at Costco, but all Costco fruits and veg's are on their last leg and sometimes going bad before you get them home. (mostly their fruits) They have a few frozen large bags of broccoli and mixed vegies, but I don't have the freezer room for them.

Modhatter, I forget where you are (?) Florida?

Anyway, my prices for produce are much the same as yours. Forget tomatoes. Fresh berries--don't even go there. Even good old onions cost a bundle!

I'm trying to track down an Asian store. What I do not want, though, is vegges grown in water or a hothouse. No nutrition in that. How can you tell?

Old 03-24-2011, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
The processed foods are what wreck our health, I agree. And we do overconsume. I am always struck by the lovely smiles and beautiful white teeth of people of other cultures on very primitive diets (I'm not talking about the desperately poor, but indigenous peoples eating the simple foods of their locale).

LC, what do you think of supplements?

One of the reason I couldn't stand going into WF is the overwhelming presence of rows and rows of supplements, almost like a store in itself. One can easily get completely overwhelmed by the range (and COST ) of supplments we "must have" in order to stay healthy, and so many of the health gurus go on and on about how many IUs of this and that we should be consuming.

I just take D-3 (we have long winters here), kelp tablets, cod liver oil, and brewer's yeast. But when I went into WF I felt like I must be seriously lacking in least a dozen somethings and started to get a panic attack. My mother lived to 92 and never took a single supplement, multivitamin, or medication of any kind (I know, as she never went to a doctor). All she had in her med cabinet was aspirin. And she ate supermarket food (but ate little).

What's your take on supplements in general?
I think food supplements have their place and application if their is a recognized need and a benefit that has been verified. Unfortunately, some benefits that are trumped are a result of heresay and are anecdotal. In addition, just because there is recognized need does not mean that taking a supplement is efficacious and safe by taking much more, or by taking by itself; and not in combination with the food it is associated and with other nutrients.

We also have the severe problem of that many of the food supplements are not strictly controlled and tested for what they purport to contain--as they are not considered drugs and not regulated. It has been shown many times that these supplements that have been tested often do not contain the amounts of ingredients that are labeled.

There is also the problem of taking too much as much of the products we consume everyday are enriched or fortified with additional vitamins. Milk is fortified with Vitamin D because there is a recognized and researched need just as Grains are enriched with the B vitamins. Now we see other products further fortified such as orange juice with Calcium and the plethora of these suspect and expensive vitamin waters. There are also many breakfast cereals that have added vitamins. Just to note "fortification" is the adding of the nutrients where they do not originally exist and "enrichment" is the returning of the nutrients back to the product that are lost or minimized in processing. The question is when is enough--enough?? When does it become a waste of money?? and when does the level become dangerous?? The logic to take to more is better; and to be healthy take it anyways, can be flawed.

I believe as many competent recognized authorities, that nutrients are best taken in food. That is why we are encouraged to eat a wide and varied diet. Yes, there are times, situations, diseases and aged related problems that supplements are necessary but in many of these cases such as the elderly and infants--the vitamins exist together in enriched and fortified food source.

We also have a problem with medical researchers because of their competitive nature, there need for more grant money and and wanting to be the first to "discover". They release studies that are incomplete and lack adequate research and evaluation. The public sees these results, the media blows it out of proportion and now we have the new "cure-all' for maladies. In addition, many well meaning scientific stuidies are not meant for the hysterical public but to communicate preliminary results to other researchers.

Those disneyland food stores like Whole Foods with their expansive display of every and all kinds of supplements can be intimating but that does not mean these are all necessary. It is disturbing to me to see these clerks of "flittering fanciful floosies" faking their expertise of nutrients and giving medical advice. as these are food supplements and are not intented to "diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease". These stores cater and market to the whims, wants and fantasies of the narcissistic egos and pocketbooks of the those who believe that their education, social achievement, status and well paying jobs have placed themselves above the norm; they desperately want to believe that there is a magic cure to avoid disease, aging and even death.

I do take supplements as a result of medical advice but for measurable deficiencies caused by specific diseases, result of medications and aged related degeneration.

There is a specific source that is used by Kaiser Permanente for the members to ascertain the efficacy, safety, interactions and benefits of supplements as explained on their website:

https://members.kaiserpermanente.org...cines/int.htm?

and the specific link:

Search: Natural Medicines Comprehensive Database Consumer Version

These are excellent unbiased sources, much better than these so-called experts who write for these natural marketing tracts, espousing this and that and the dubious and illegal advice you get from sales personnel.

Livecontent

Last edited by livecontent; 03-24-2011 at 08:27 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement