Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2012, 12:10 PM

5,587 posts, read 8,398,368 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn55 View Post
The problem with a 60 mile drive when it comes to radiation therapy is you have to do it 5 times a week (usually Monday through Friday) for X weeks (X can vary but 4-6 weeks isn't unusual). And that 60 mile drive from the Villages to Gainesville is 60 miles each way - total of 120 miles RT. Robyn
Yes, you're correct -- and it was 120 mi. RT every day for MONTHS. Along the same lines, friend of mine's parents built their dream retirement home in a rural area of NC and all was fine until the wife got cancer. Same thing, had to drive hours every day for chemo and radiation. They ended up moving to a large city to (a) be closer to their daughter and (b) be closer to good medical care. To me, "B" is pretty important when you're 60+.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2012, 04:47 PM

14,617 posts, read 21,479,126 times
Funny you mention that. We live in a pleasant although somewhat boring part of the US. But we are 10 minutes away from our PCP and our secondary provider (the Mayo Clinic). When I turn 65 in a few months and go on Medicare - I can move anywhere in the US (have had to hang around Florida for health insurance purposes). But somewhat boring - and close to a lot of things we need (like medical care) and like (like a great golf facility at a reasonable price) doesn't seem like such a bad deal these days. In any event - we're in no big hurry to leave. Robyn
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement