U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Thanksgiving Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 07-10-2011, 11:00 PM

5,255 posts, read 11,549,748 times

Advertisements

We have no interest in living in a place like The Villages. One of our favorite passtimes is to travel around our state finding new historic towns, interesting restaurants, museums, stores, meeting people -day adventures we call them.

We also feel that living in a mixed community with people of all ages is what we always hope to be able to do.
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2011, 12:15 AM

42,289 posts, read 46,085,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bette View Post
We just celebrated this accomplishment. IBM was very much part of Boca Raton's history. Anyway, I have lived in Florida since the late 60's (when I was a child) and Boca Raton always had a lot of restrictions. They planned.

It's a great city. I would always want to keep our home here and ideally have a place to go to for certain times of the year. At least, for home base.

It just depends where our children end up down the road. I think our son will stay in Boca Raton; our daughter lives in NYC now but in 10 years, I don't know.

(One of our middle schools is named after Don Estridge - you can google this - he was killed in the plane crash in 1985 as were many).
I was not cutting down Boca Raton just relating what I saw then never having seen such a thing before.I didn't say they were shabby or not planned;just what I saw.The point was that retirees have always been attracted to Flroida and even then there were large retired comunities and alot fo golf courses to serve their wants.But like the OP south Florida is not for me really with the growth since even 1975.Heck I hardly recognise the Keys last time I visted not having gone there since the 75 trip.Having stayed in Destin for years in october I have also seen the changes there from a sleepy liitle fishing village.Still Florida attracts many from especailly colder climates ,so something for evrybody really.

Old 07-11-2011, 11:04 PM

15,661 posts, read 4,833,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattknap View Post
We have no interest in living in a place like The Villages. One of our favorite passtimes is to travel around our state finding new historic towns, interesting restaurants, museums, stores, meeting people -day adventures we call them.

We also feel that living in a mixed community with people of all ages is what we always hope to be able to do.
I'm with you 100%

As a single gay man approaching retirement age, I have come to realize I like "urban" amenities: art galleries and museums, historical sites, jazz clubs, ethnic restaurants and grocery stores, diverse cultural activities, "art" and "independent" film festivals, quirky non-Mall type shopping such as antique shops ... but most of all: not to be around old or retired people all the time!

Old 06-23-2012, 09:16 PM

25 posts, read 75,807 times
across the road, route 466 i believe, is a community called Stonegate or something to that effect.....lower pricing and fees for sure.....AND you can still access The Villages contrary to what folks tell you.....the roads going through The Villages are PUBLIC and therefore not restricted.....and to enter specific Villages, just pull up to the gate and hit a button to raise it.....honest !

Old 06-24-2012, 09:29 AM

8,555 posts, read 10,756,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bette View Post
We just celebrated this accomplishment. IBM was very much part of Boca Raton's history. Anyway, I have lived in Florida since the late 60's (when I was a child) and Boca Raton always had a lot of restrictions. They planned.

It's a great city. I would always want to keep our home here and ideally have a place to go to for certain times of the year. At least, for home base.

It just depends where our children end up down the road. I think our son will stay in Boca Raton; our daughter lives in NYC now but in 10 years, I don't know.

(One of our middle schools is named after Don Estridge - you can google this - he was killed in the plane crash in 1985 as were many).
Curious as to what you pay for home insurance there. I do see many nice little condo's for sale but would be concerned about the cost of HOA and insurance for a place in the wind belt. I do love Florida.

Old 06-24-2012, 09:31 AM

8,555 posts, read 10,756,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
I'm with you 100%

As a single gay man approaching retirement age, I have come to realize I like "urban" amenities: art galleries and museums, historical sites, jazz clubs, ethnic restaurants and grocery stores, diverse cultural activities, "art" and "independent" film festivals, quirky non-Mall type shopping such as antique shops ... but most of all: not to be around old or retired people all the time!
We found a solution to being around old people all the time...we get in our car and go somewhere, lol. There is a mindset that if you choose a 55 development that you are restricted to the grounds.

Old 06-24-2012, 09:53 AM

1,340 posts, read 1,157,933 times
I would never live in a place like this, but two things I liked: live music in the squares every day, and using golf carts instead of cars. I would hope that biking and walking are also encouraged!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick St John View Post
What a horrible thought.
To retire to a winter free environment that makes you feel like you're on vacation 24/7.
I can't imagine anything worse.
Heck, that's what I did last winter. Perhaps not next winter, but everything was so new and interesting, it was like an extended vacation! Try it--you might like it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotleyCrew View Post
We found a solution to being around old people all the time...we get in our car and go somewhere, lol. There is a mindset that if you choose a 55 development that you are restricted to the grounds.
Bingo! We winter in a small, non-gated 55+ development in Dunedin, and we spend very little time interacting with those in our community. Yes, I go to the pool and the hot tub, we both go to the gym, and once in a while go to a function. But, we walk or bike into town twice a day, or drive to a state park or another natural area, or to restaurants and stores. We have more friends outside our community than inside, for sure.

Old 06-25-2012, 01:44 PM

2,449 posts, read 3,451,957 times
Default Snowbirds Negative

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wwanderer View Post

Bingo! We winter in a small, non-gated 55+ development in Dunedin, and we spend very little time interacting with those in our community. Yes, I go to the pool and the hot tub, we both go to the gym, and once in a while go to a function. But, we walk or bike into town twice a day, or drive to a state park or another natural area, or to restaurants and stores. We have more friends outside our community than inside, for sure.
Personally, I find it sad that a couple would live in a community for 3-6 months in the winter and make no effort at all toward getting to know their neighbors. Those folks live their year round and deserve respect for being full-timers. This is one reason I don't want to live in a 55+--too many snowbirds. It's empty in the summer and crowded in the winter with people who really don't care about the community (or maybe even the country).

Old 06-25-2012, 02:38 PM

49,548 posts, read 41,487,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by staywarm2 View Post
Personally, I find it sad that a couple would live in a community for 3-6 months in the winter and make no effort at all toward getting to know their neighbors. Those folks live their year round and deserve respect for being full-timers. This is one reason I don't want to live in a 55+--too many snowbirds. It's empty in the summer and crowded in the winter with people who really don't care about the community (or maybe even the country).
and I know a lot of people who do make an attempt to get involved even if they only spend part of the year in an area. We have people here who spend winters in Florida, loving the soical life as well as the weather and others who choose to stay here in the winter and head to Minn or Wisconsin in the summer. Again, they have friends and activities in both locations. Joiners are just that and those who are not will never change.

Old 06-25-2012, 05:11 PM

2,716 posts, read 2,637,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotleyCrew View Post
My feelings exactly!! Our friends, our entertainment... it all comes from outside the gates. We moved to a 55+ for the maintenance. It's nice not having to pick weeds or lug mulch, not to mention snow, roof repairs, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement