U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 04-30-2008, 08:48 PM

41,243 posts, read 43,989,368 times
I think you have to see the moblie home parks in florida to appreciate them.They are really manufactured homes and like 75% have in ground pools. There also is alot of golf courses built just to serve them as they are huge.Not for me but I can see why many would be attracted to them for retirement.My uncle lives in one and it is like so many retirement communties and have a communtiy buiding;no grass cutting and grounds are beautiful and very good private secirity; besides being gated.
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2008, 10:31 AM

3 posts, read 10,630 times
Easy for you to say - just buy the land! HA HA

I'm 70 and just want to go where it is warmer climate - I own my mobilhome a 2000 Schult Sensation 16 x 72 (without the tongue) in Minnesota. I am so tired of the winters. I take home about $13,000 a year and am now paying $195 a month lot rent which includes - water- sewer - garbage. Do you think I can find a home in the south for that? Not that I have seen.
I still have to work 18 hours a week to get by, I am mobil, I ride a 250 Honda Scooter that gets 72 miles to the gallon but I am waiting for the weather to clear to use that.

I couldn't care less about any golf club or meeting club - just leave me alone to find the friends I care to find myself. I don't need any of that other junk.

Thank you
Dragonfire

Old 05-10-2008, 01:14 PM

13,496 posts, read 24,688,721 times
MOBILE HOME NET, Manufactured and Modular Home Marketplace.

Mobile Homes For Sale - 21,400 Available to Sell or Rent

Old 08-10-2008, 09:26 AM

2 posts, read 7,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katie45 View Post
True, the area of Paradise is beautiful...but, it is "wildfire" country. In fact, they just evacuated most of the city due to another wildfire. That is one of the reasons the real estate is "affordable". There is one road in and out of the town. Not the best choice...I'd recommend checking into other areas.
We sold a home and bought another home using the seniormobiles.com website. We found it to be very easy to use and much more up to date than most websites that had homes that were sold years ago. I'm sure that agents and homeowners provide all their own information since that is what we did when we listed our home. Of course we had to let them know that we sold it, so it isn't seniormobiles fault if the agents and owners don't tell them it's sold.

Old 08-10-2008, 09:32 AM

2 posts, read 7,137 times
Default Helpful website

Quote:
Originally Posted by whowants2know View Post
We are planning to retire and move away from the Kansas City area in a few years and are considering purchasing a mobile home in a senior park...obviously away from tornado country!!

Can anyone shed some light on where they believe the best sr parks are? Price range we can afford for a home is around the 100-120k range, and as far as the lot space, we could afford up to $400/month.

We are not party animals, so don't need to live in the 'big city'. We mainly want to get away from the freezing winter climate...and we're tired of scraping ice/snow off the car!

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Check out a website called seniormobiles.com. It has manufactured homes for sale in at least 20 states exclusively in senior communities. It's the only website that we found that was only 55+. It also has a list of senior mobile home communities across the country. We bought a home from that we found on there.

Old 08-21-2008, 05:51 PM

2,672 posts, read 3,756,919 times
A few years ago I lived in DE down my Massey's Landing. There are back to back mobile home parks there and have been there since WWII. Many residents where there for 20-30 years. A Chicago based investment firm bought eight of the mobile home parks and immediately raised the lot rent from $300 to $800. Most could not afford the increase so they sought help from the state. Delaware stood with the investors sighting that the property was waterfront property and the investor were entitled to their increase. Many long-time residents where force to move.
When you rent a lot you have no control over rent increases or transfer of ownership.
Either way you have your neck in a noose. If you buy a property to set a MH you will find that the cost is almost as much as buying and existing stick frame home. IMO, if you know where you want to be invest in a home no matter how modest over a MH.
Don't get me wrong, modern mobile home are nice and very comfortable, the problem is where to put them.
Don

Old 08-22-2008, 01:23 PM

9,807 posts, read 5,800,360 times
gotta agree with Keeper.

We plan to move soon to NE Alabama and have found many homes for $100,000 ( we were down last November)

Also, $400 will pay for your entire years property tax ( with some left over)

Buying a mobile home for retirement AND paying $400 per month for lot rental is too pricey for me.

Old 08-28-2008, 12:24 PM

5 posts, read 9,125 times
Default mobile homes on private land

so you don't want to rent a space forever for your mobile home? How about checking out modular homes in Oregon on land you own. Land can be acquired for about $7,000. really nice modular homes range about $150,000. Plus no sales tax. We are snow birds and love it.

Old 09-01-2008, 01:59 PM

1 posts, read 3,143 times
Default retirement

I am new to this forum and just noticed a question regarding a place to retire away from the cold, snow, etc etc that are encountered in Kansas from Whowants2know. I am 10 years away from retirement and we also live in Kansas. Not in the Kansas city area but on the other side of the state. We are looking for warm. We are tired of the wind, tired of the dirt, looking for trees and water (we live in SW Kansas). We are both harley riders and are planning a 2 week trip from here, through the coast of Louiaiana, through Florida, up through the Carolina's over to Tennessee and make our way back home. This trip is planned for June 2009.

I am basically taking an atlas, looking at each state, seeing if there is a city that just appeals to me, looking it up on the internet. However, input from others is always good. Our town only has a population of 1000 so one a bit larger would be good. Low crime is important as is the housing. We were thinking about one of the 55+ communitities; however, since we both ride harleys, some of the other people might not like the noise. So we are keeping our options open. We are looking for inexpensive. When we retire, I don't want to have to get a full time job to make a monsterous house payment.

Any input is wonderful!!!!

PS.....Californis is out. (long story)

Old 09-01-2008, 08:50 PM

1,849 posts, read 4,598,466 times
Hi ksharleyrider. Are you looking for something in a senior mobile home park? I wasn't sure if you were or not. If you are looking for something else you may want to start your own thread.

Your trip sounds like a good way to discover some interesting places.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement