Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2007, 05:39 AM

104 posts, read 686,814 times

Advertisements

We are planning to retire and move away from the Kansas City area in a few years and are considering purchasing a mobile home in a senior park...obviously away from tornado country!!

Can anyone shed some light on where they believe the best sr parks are? Price range we can afford for a home is around the 100-120k range, and as far as the lot space, we could afford up to $400/month.

We are not party animals, so don't need to live in the 'big city'. We mainly want to get away from the freezing winter climate...and we're tired of scraping ice/snow off the car!

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2007, 08:12 AM

13,768 posts, read 38,047,707 times
There are many places in FL that would fit what you are looking for if you don't mind leaving everytime there is a hurricane headed your way. I would suggest looking at something a little more stable personally as even in FL tornados seem to be attracted to mobilehomes.
Many people like myself have left FL for AL. You can buy a nice place for the money you mentioned in our town. If you don't want to do the lawn you can hire someone to do it for you.
There are also places in S. AL (Fairhope, Robertsdale and Foley) where you can find either housing or mobile homes in the price range you mentioned. Again, any mobilehome will have to be evacuated during hurricanes. Now, hurricanes don't happen every year so that is some good news.
I moved from Fl due to the high cost of living to Arab AL a town of 7,500. Close to Huntsville for mall shopping but low crime, traffic and friendly people. You can buy an older home here for less than 100K. Utilities are reasonable as is homeowners ins. If you want to check out some areas look here.
http://www.city-data.com/city/Alabama.html
http://www.city-data.com/city/Florida.html

Last edited by Keeper; 07-26-2007 at 08:16 AM.. Reason: added link

Old 07-26-2007, 05:40 PM

Thanks for the great advice Keeper! We will most definitely check out the Arab area; and if the housing costs are workable for us, we may forget the mobile home and purchase a detached single-family home!

Old 07-26-2007, 06:34 PM

3,719 posts, read 14,670,100 times
Mobile home parks seem to be disappearing around here in populated areas of northern California. The land is just too valuable for other uses.

Old 07-27-2007, 06:10 AM

153 posts, read 1,245,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by humboldtrat View Post
Mobile home parks seem to be disappearing around here in populated areas of northern California. The land is just too valuable for other uses.

What other land uses are you referring to? Does that mean that even building new homes and/or businesses is also out of the question? Or just mobile home parks? And what areas of No CA do you mean?

In SoCal, there are many sr MHPs that are very nice. The homes themselves are not completely out of reach as far as price; however they have jacked up the space rents to a point of insanity. Some spaces rent for as much as $1200/month! I've heard of greed, but CA certainly wins hands down in this category.

Old 07-27-2007, 10:07 AM

The other thing about mobile home parks even those over 55 in FL especially is the land is often sold to developers leaving the homeowner with no place to go not to mention the cost of moving a mobilehome to another space. If the home is older it often cost more to move it than it is worth. If you are thinking of FL you might check out Dade City or Zephyerhills FL. Close enough to Tampa ( an hour away mol) but inland. You would still have to leave in a hurricane. I have a couple of friends (over 55) who live in modular homes parks there.
If you check out city-data Alabama, a lot of people moving up here are in our age range. You can get a lot of feedback on any area from the good folks there. Property taxes are VERY low also.
Check out valleymls.com for homes in the area.

Old 08-02-2007, 03:17 AM

14,229 posts, read 29,902,516 times
Another thing I've heard about is parks going 'condo'. Residents are forced to move or pay an outrageous amount of money for a small strip of land.

Old 08-02-2007, 03:50 AM

Default Typical

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
Another thing I've heard about is parks going 'condo'. Residents are forced to move or pay an outrageous amount of money for a small strip of land.
This does not surprise me at all. As far as a decent place to live in CA, the space rents are upwards of $500-1,200/month. What a joke. Some of the parks have approximately 120 spaces...okay, let's say that the space rent is $500/mo...that is $60k/mo to the park owner. Give me a break!

Yes, the weather is nice is sections of CA...but, it is not paradise by any means.

Old 08-02-2007, 06:48 AM

If you are seriously considering a mobilehome I would suggest you try to find a place where you own the land, that way if it is ever sold you at least will get something from back.
I personally am not a fan of mobilehomes. They are nice when new but they go downhill fast. You also will never get what you paid for them, kind of like a new car, once you live in it is OLD. At least with a house you will normally get at least what you paid for it if not more.

Old 08-02-2007, 10:12 AM

14,229 posts, read 29,902,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keeper View Post
If you are seriously considering a mobilehome I would suggest you try to find a place where you own the land, that way if it is ever sold you at least will get something from back.
I personally am not a fan of mobilehomes. They are nice when new but they go downhill fast. You also will never get what you paid for them, kind of like a new car, once you live in it is OLD. At least with a house you will normally get at least what you paid for it if not more.
I so agree with Keeper. Almost everyone would be better off with an investment that at least stands a chance of increasing in value. You or someone you love will have to do SOMETHING with that mobile home some day. Check out unitedcountry.com and do some looking in the states you like. There are lots of places that look quite nice with a home and land for less money than that mobile home would cost. You can have a 3br brick home and some acreage with a pond for under 100K in some places. Considerably less than 100K even.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement