Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2011, 09:36 PM

14,400 posts, read 14,298,103 times

Advertisements

Traveling has always been very exciting for my wife and I. We've visited 46 out of 50 states. We've been to New Zealand twice, most of Australia, China once, and taken an extensive cruise through South Pacific Islands. We've also seen most of the European countries. I don't really count Canada and Mexico because they are so close, but we've been there too.

We have a VISA card that gives us free flights on our favorite airline. We usually earn about 8 free flights a year to anywhere in the continental U.S.

We enjoy different surroundings and different cultures. I like comparing what we have in America to what I see abroad. I've concluded that we Americans really have it pretty good and as much as we enjoy traveling, we almost always feel good when we return to our country.

Now that we have a second home, we spend less time traveling and more of our free time there. Honestly, the only good thing I can really think of about retiring is we will have more time to travel.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2011, 08:44 AM

4,498 posts, read 9,382,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post

We enjoy different surroundings and different cultures. I like comparing what we have in America to what I see abroad. I've concluded that we Americans really have it pretty good and as much as we enjoy traveling, we almost always feel good when we return to our country.
markg91359,

I couldn't agree more with this statement. We also like exploring around the world and currently live outside of the USA and have for the past 7 years but we are moving back to the USA now that we have 2 small children. I agree with you that Americans have it VERY good. As long as you have no debt, savings, etc. the quality of life I feel in the USA is better than any place in the world.

Even though we have lived outside of the USA for 7 years, we visit the USA at least 4 or 5 times a year. It makes you realize how lucky we have it when you visit some other places.

Old 03-27-2011, 09:53 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,187,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by earlyretirement View Post
I couldn't agree more with this statement. We also like exploring around the world and currently live outside of the USA and have for the past 7 years but we are moving back to the USA now that we have 2 small children. I agree with you that Americans have it VERY good. As long as you have no debt, savings, etc. the quality of life I feel in the USA is better than any place in the world.

Even though we have lived outside of the USA for 7 years, we visit the USA at least 4 or 5 times a year. It makes you realize how lucky we have it when you visit some other places.
I lived outside the U.S. for a decade before I returned. I was there for five weeks - East Coast and SW. I have to agree, in the material sense at least, that "Americans have it VERY good."

What I could not fathom - nor stomach - was the fact that I found that Americans were always, always, always complaining and finding fault with something or someone. It was ceaseless! What a discontented people!

Clearly, such abundance does not bring a sense of balance, perspective and contentment.

I had embarked upon the trip with the thought of possibly returning permanently to live. I departed quite convinced that I am very, very fortunate to live where I am and doubt that I would ever return even for a visit.

For me, living abroad has really brought home like nothing else that quality of life for me is not about having the best of everything. It's been one of the most positive and important lessons in a long life.

Old 03-27-2011, 05:26 PM

3,360 posts, read 8,388,646 times
Travelling is the greatest education of all! Nothing can compare. For any American who has never seen Europe... go! It will change how you view your own country.

I've been in all 50 states and been in 70 countries.

Most beautiful country to me? Switzerland!

Old 03-27-2011, 10:25 PM

14,400 posts, read 14,298,103 times
Quote:
I have to agree, in the material sense at least, that "Americans have it VERY good."

What I could not fathom - nor stomach - was the fact that I found that Americans were always, always, always complaining and finding fault with something or someone. It was ceaseless! What a discontented people!

Clearly, such abundance does not bring a sense of balance, perspective and contentment.

I had embarked upon the trip with the thought of possibly returning permanently to live. I departed quite convinced that I am very, very fortunate to live where I am and doubt that I would ever return even for a visit.

For me, living abroad has really brought home like nothing else that quality of life for me is not about having the best of everything. It's been one of the most positive and important lessons in a long life.
I remember visiting Hong Kong about twenty years ago. It was Hong Kong than and had not rejoined China at that time. There was much wealth around us, but much poverty too. We walked through one neighborhood (briefly) that had open sewers. Western sanitation was not observed in some other ways. For example, I witnessed a pig that was slaughtered lying skinned and unrefrigerated in an open air stall. I saw some women in their twenties struggling to make a living selling t-shirts in the stall next to the dead pig for the equivalent of $1 a piece.

Chinese food can be tasty, but after about three days of nothing else, we were eager to find some Western food. I never thought I would get excited about seeing a McDonald's, but I happily walked in the door and ordered a Big Mac on the spot.

My wife and I were probably "showy" people before we took this trip. We paid attention to labels and liked to buy things that said "Neiman Marcus", "Nordstrom's", or "Macy's". Something changed inside us after that trip. We feel fortunate just to have a Walmart or a Kmart near where we live. I happily wear $15 blue jeans that I buy at Walmart now. Fast food isn't good for you, but the way its prepared in America you are very unlikely to get food poisoning. We started to appreciate simple things like purified water and flush toilets. I don't own an economy car, but I would think nothing of driving one anymore. If push came to shove, I'd be grateful just to own a functioning automobile. So many people around the world don't have these things.

When the economy is bad, many people become very critical of their country. What they don't see is that things could be much worse. I came home from this trip and others with a sense that we all really need to realize what we have in this country and do our damndest to keep the many parts of it that work well. We Americans did a lot of things right.

Old 03-29-2011, 03:32 AM

106,654 posts, read 108,790,719 times
no point traveling to other countries,they are bringing it to you.

just a few weeks ago my wife and i decided to go 15 minutes from our home to flushing queens in nyc for a photoshoot . if i didnt tell you that this was queens ny you would swear we were in another country.

Last edited by mathjak107; 03-29-2011 at 04:07 AM..

Old 03-29-2011, 03:34 AM

Old 03-29-2011, 04:08 AM

Old 03-29-2011, 04:46 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,028,651 times
I have lived outside the US and had a passport since is was 13. I love to travel and wish I could afford to do more.

I've always thought Americans don't travel as much as others because the US is so large and it's expensive because we have to travel long distances to even get out of the US. In Europe, things are geographically close and it's no bigger deal to travel from France to Switzerland than it is to go from Alabama to Mississippi. No huge ocean to cross. Plus, public transportation in Europe is very good. The train system is amazing.

Old 03-31-2011, 12:51 PM

4,498 posts, read 9,382,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post

My wife and I were probably "showy" people before we took this trip. We paid attention to labels and liked to buy things that said "Neiman Marcus", "Nordstrom's", or "Macy's". Something changed inside us after that trip. We feel fortunate just to have a Walmart or a Kmart near where we live. I happily wear $15 blue jeans that I buy at Walmart now. Fast food isn't good for you, but the way its prepared in America you are very unlikely to get food poisoning. We started to appreciate simple things like purified water and flush toilets. I don't own an economy car, but I would think nothing of driving one anymore. If push came to shove, I'd be grateful just to own a functioning automobile. So many people around the world don't have these things.

When the economy is bad, many people become very critical of their country. What they don't see is that things could be much worse. I came home from this trip and others with a sense that we all really need to realize what we have in this country and do our damndest to keep the many parts of it that work well. We Americans did a lot of things right.

This is a GREAT post and so true! Once you travel the world and start seeing some other countries, it makes you really appreciate the high quality of living in the USA.

I totally agree with you when the economy is bad, people tend to badmouth the USA or tend to think that life is better abroad. I see quite a bit of that every day with clients.

I moved out of the USA 7 years ago as I saw huge problems with the real estate market and the financial sector....basically everything I forecasted came true.... now that real estate has crashed (and still crashing) i'm moving back.

You're so right when you said "America did a lot of things right". That is so true! To me, it's still the best country in the world. I had 2 kids born outside of the USA but I'm darn glad that they got USA citizenship by birth and I'm happy we'll raise them there.

There are a lot of problems in the USA. No doubt, but once you live abroad for many years, I've found you come to miss certain things. Certainly we are looking forward to moving back.

People really need to realize just how fortunate they are in the USA. Not for the big McMansions, fancy cars, fancy clothes, etc. But more for the sanitary conditions, safety, people obey rules and laws for the most part, people respect traffic laws and the roads are safe, great place for children to grow up. And generally things just work there. In some countries we have been in...just going to the grocery store or post office is a 1 or 2 hour event waiting in line for products that aren't that great.

What I miss the most is things "work" in the USA. Sure there are things you can complain about but I've found that's the case in any country in the world.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement