Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2011, 02:36 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,152,085 times

Advertisements

I wouldn't say I was a world traveler but I've been almost everywhere in the USA, Canada, Mexico, South America and Europe. I really can't get enough of Europe - I think I've been close to dozen times.

I did most of my traveling in my mid-30s to mid-40s. I am so glad I did that as it gave me perspective and some wisdom and insight. Plus it's so much fun to talk to other travelers - here or there.

As for retirement, I have been depriving myself a bit for the last few years so I can go full-tilt traveling in 2-3 years. I really don't care that much about having a nice house or car, I just want to be able to go anywhere I please.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2011, 09:47 AM

88 posts, read 236,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IntoMyDream View Post
I read somewhere that said of the 308 million-plus americans, only 30% have passports and only about 61.5 million trips outside the United States in 2009. Do people travel abroad just because they want to or because they can? Does money play a key factor to when and where to travel? Whether before or after retirement, especially abroad? Why do you want to travel the world? What about here in America, do you have a desire to see all 50 states? As for me, I do.

I can't answer for what other people want or do concerning the above.

As for me, I enjoy traveling to certain countries abroad not necessarily traveling the world as I have no desire nor interest to visit certain places.

I have been through most of the USA states that either my parents or I have chosen. I enjoy return visits to those that I prefer for one reason or another.

As far as the money goes, it is a persons choice how/where to spend it or not.

Old 04-05-2011, 06:04 PM

24 posts, read 61,675 times
Wow! based on what I read here I think people do want to travel the world. I do agree that when people travel abroad, it does open their eyes. As for me, I love to travel whether it is here or abroad. I like to see and feel it. It is much better than watching TV. But, I guess most people who do travel must have some money saved for that purpose. Travel & money seem to go well together. Don't you think?

Old 04-06-2011, 08:20 AM

819 posts, read 1,592,070 times
It's less than a month untill we go on our Western Med cruise. I am so ready for it! Going to the beach next week with 2 of my sisters. Life is good!

Old 04-06-2011, 09:09 AM

11,175 posts, read 16,011,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeachyMJ View Post
It's less than a month untill we go on our Western Med cruise. I am so ready for it! Going to the beach next week with 2 of my sisters. Life is good!
I'm heading to the Mediterranean too in three weeks, but I'm starting from Ft. Lauderdale. Our transatlantic cruise spends a week in Spain and a day in Monte Carlo before ending in Rome. We will then spend about a week there in a small family-run hotel before flying back home.

Old 04-06-2011, 09:55 AM

819 posts, read 1,592,070 times
MMB, what ship are you sailing on? Are you on Cruise Critic? We are also going to Spain, Monte Carlo, etc.

Old 04-06-2011, 10:12 AM

11,175 posts, read 16,011,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeachyMJ View Post
MMB, what ship are you sailing on? Are you on Cruise Critic? We are also going to Spain, Monte Carlo, etc.
DM sent.

Old 04-06-2011, 10:42 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,468,022 times
Mostly compliments of Uncle Sam (military brat and my own career) I've lived in three other countries and nine states. I've traveled through many more states. My wife, who was also a military brat, has lived in one other country and five states. My goal in retirement is to show her the rest of this country that she either missed or was too young to remember. There's so much right here at home. Just since and due to our retirement move we've been in and through a dozen states with more to come.

Overall, travel is wonderful but Glinda the Good had it right. There's no place like home!

Old 04-08-2011, 06:10 PM

24 posts, read 61,675 times
Yep, that's how I feel, there's no place like home. Most of my traveling abroad was about two to three weeks and I was already home sick. Why, I don't know. Maybe because of work, maybe because of my obligation to take care of family, maybe because of home, and on and on. I feel like no matter where I go I have to come home and continue to work. I hope they will go away when I retire. I hope I can go somewhere and stay there for a few months without worrying about thing back home. I don't know. Do you have that feeling when you are away?

Old 04-09-2011, 03:27 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,468,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IntoMyDream View Post
Yep, that's how I feel, there's no place like home. Most of my traveling abroad was about two to three weeks and I was already home sick. Why, I don't know. Maybe because of work, maybe because of my obligation to take care of family, maybe because of home, and on and on. I feel like no matter where I go I have to come home and continue to work. I hope they will go away when I retire. I hope I can go somewhere and stay there for a few months without worrying about thing back home. I don't know. Do you have that feeling when you are away?
Nope! When I retired we moved to a different state in which none of our family lived. We neither worry nor wish to return but for occasional visits.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement