Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2011, 08:16 AM

7,785 posts, read 18,817,826 times

Advertisements

No place is perfect, there is something to learn everywhere, and that's the beauty of travel. I live in the high west because I prefer the mountains, forests and high desert, but that does not mean I can't appreciate the beauty in other places.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2011, 08:49 AM

37,794 posts, read 40,990,020 times
Alas, unless Scotty can beam me there, I won't be traveling abroad. I'd like to see some of those places but I don't fly anymore. I do have a passport but I believe it needs to be renewed.

I have been to 33 states plus the District of Columbia and Canada. Ideally, I'd love to drive to Alaska (and Western Canada), Idaho, Montana, Wyoming and maybe Washington State and North Dakota, places I've never been to.

Old 04-13-2011, 11:35 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,690 posts, read 57,994,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
...I don't fly anymore. I do have a passport but I believe it needs to be renewed.
... Ideally, I'd love to drive to Alaska (and Western Canada), Idaho, Montana, Wyoming and maybe Washington State and North Dakota, places I've never been to.
OK, you still have time to plan and get out here during the nice summer and before we have the Big Quake

Can you still go via boat? The Alaska Marine Highway Ferry System Reservation and Ticketing Agent is a great way to travel at least one way to AK

America's Byways®: National Scenic Byways Online
enchanted highway - Google Search

$10 / night wonderful, fun (SAFE) lodging Evergreen Club

I keep an itinerary of the region for many visitors, I haven't done one for Vancouver Island, but lived there for awhile (Thetis, that was pretty nice...) thetis island - Google Search

Stayed in a private cabin on a private inlet in AK, retired logger / fisherman took me and the kids out fishing everyday, and sent us home with 2 coolers each of Halibut and Salmon. Crab omelets for breakfast and BBQ Steelhead for lunch, (too full for any dinner) prince of wales island - Google Search

You are gonna have a blast, especially with your newly honed camera skills.

don't miss here (near my home...) crown point oregon - Google Search

or my favorite picture spot on Oregon coast (1hr away) hug point oregon - Google Search

Old 04-13-2011, 11:38 AM

11,175 posts, read 16,008,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
Alas, unless Scotty can beam me there, I won't be traveling abroad. I'd like to see some of those places but I don't fly anymore.
You don't need to fly; you can drive to a domestic port city and take a cruise instead. A couple of months ago I took a cruise from Los Angeles to South America. (I could have cruised back, but I elected to fly home from Rio de Janeiro after more than five weeks abroad.) In two weeks, I'm taking a cruise from Ft. Lauderdale to Spain, Monaco, and Rome. (Once again, I could take a transatlantic cruise back to the U.S., but I chose to fly home from Rome.)

Old 04-14-2011, 01:45 AM

26,656 posts, read 28,654,132 times
Travel has always been a passion of mine. I never had the chance until I was first married and we camped across the country for the entire summer. It satisfied my curiosity and it was exciting to really see the places I had learned about in school. We also spent a week every winter camping in the Florida everglades and going skin diving in the Keys.

Then we went to Europe for another summer. On the cheap--stayed with people we knew and they got a tent for us and we all camped all over Europe. The cultures, the museums, the food--all was new and different and educational.

I never had the chance to travel again until 2000 when I went to the UK with a genealogy group. Got cheap rates by staying on a college campus and I had the thrill of meeting long lost relatives and getting the Tour. Very emotional trip, seeing where my grandparents had come from and seeing the places I had only heard about.

I went again in 2005 and saw a different part of England--went with a friend as I was undergoing a divorce. This was the last of my money but I think it was very well spent.

Then I met my new husband who is British and he took me back with him for two weeks and I got to live in a village way up in the North of England. I loved every bit of it. There is so much to see and do and every time I've gone overseas I've stayed with the locals so I get the inside view.

I live to to go again. I've given up on ever having the money to travel anywhere outside of the UK but if I can just go back there where I enjoy it so much, see the beauty, absorb the culture, cherish the memories, I will be happy. Save save save.

Old 04-18-2011, 11:00 AM

1,609 posts, read 4,686,193 times
I was in the Navy went up and down the Med. and east coast of Europe in the late 50s.Saw beggars and pan handlers in the dirty streets,Most all just wanted the American $$. I would never spend my money to go back there.

Old 04-18-2011, 11:27 AM

11,175 posts, read 16,008,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qlty View Post
I was in the Navy went up and down the Med. and east coast of Europe in the late 50s.Saw beggars and pan handlers in the dirty streets,Most all just wanted the American $$. I would never spend my money to go back there.
Yes, because nothing could have possibly changed in 50 years, right?

Old 04-20-2011, 11:52 PM

326 posts, read 433,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qlty View Post
I don't know what part of the "Med" you could be possibly talking about... But if one stroll through the streets of Saint Tropez, Cannes, Barcelona, Nice, Menton, San Remo, Cinqueterre (should I go on??), one would see far less "beggars and pan handlers" than on the streets of say... San Francisco, NYC, LA (again, should I go on?)

Old 04-26-2011, 07:50 AM

199 posts, read 528,281 times
My wife and I could travel 6 month's of the year for life. I have been to around 70 different countries and I always want to see more. We love different cultures, local foods, wine, etc. I did alot of traveling when air fares were reasonable. These costs stopped me from buying a home in Thailand.

Old 04-26-2011, 10:09 AM

37,794 posts, read 40,990,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
OK, you still have time to plan and get out here during the nice summer and before we have the Big Quake

Can you still go via boat? The Alaska Marine Highway Ferry System Reservation and Ticketing Agent is a great way to travel at least one way to AK

America's Byways®: National Scenic Byways Online
enchanted highway - Google Search

$10 / night wonderful, fun (SAFE) lodging Evergreen Club

I keep an itinerary of the region for many visitors, I haven't done one for Vancouver Island, but lived there for awhile (Thetis, that was pretty nice...) thetis island - Google Search

Stayed in a private cabin on a private inlet in AK, retired logger / fisherman took me and the kids out fishing everyday, and sent us home with 2 coolers each of Halibut and Salmon. Crab omelets for breakfast and BBQ Steelhead for lunch, (too full for any dinner) prince of wales island - Google Search

You are gonna have a blast, especially with your newly honed camera skills.

don't miss here (near my home...) crown point oregon - Google Search

or my favorite picture spot on Oregon coast (1hr away) hug point oregon - Google Search

You've convinced me. Within the next 3 years, I'm going to do this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement