U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2011, 10:09 AM

18,953 posts, read 15,719,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by susanra View Post
I don't consider mid-50's to be a senior. Mid-50's is still young.

Not sure what you mean 'that you hate to bresk to you that there's only one way out of here' - I'm the one who is saying at 63, one might have only 22 years left on earth if one is very lucky, and that death is not so far away. So not sure why the put down from you.

I still felt young at mid-50's. One does not feel nearly as young at mid-60's.
So it sounds as if you anticipate assuming room temperature at age 85. Good choice! Once you achieve it you stand a 50-50 chance of not knowing it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2011, 11:44 AM

448 posts, read 382,571 times
CAM2, the choice is not between enjoying your life right now and going back to re-live another life span. The hypothetical choice is between dying at age 78 or 85 (or whatever elderly age) and being given the opportunity to live a whole 2nd life from teens or 20's or 30's to old. Upon facing death at age 78 or 85 or 89, I would think many people would grab an opportunity to live another entirely new life span of 7 or 8 decades.

But if you and some others insist that they would rather die at 78 or 85 or 89 than accept an opportunity to live another full life span from teens or 20's or 30's to old age, so be it.

Old 04-20-2011, 12:24 PM

3,174 posts, read 3,465,412 times
I work with alot of 20-somethings and I wouldn't want to be there again, not the way the world is today. But they don't know any different. They all seem very serious and sad in way.

My 20's were fun and adventurous...although sometimes I look back and think I should have maybe been a bit more career oriented than I was. But I'm glad I enjoyed my 20's, even with all the heartbreaks (romance wise).
Looks wise I looked the best at 28 and 38

So far I have enjoyed my 60's the best...I guess by the time we get to this point we are happier because we just don't care as much what other people think, but we enjoy people more and appreciate what we do have (at least I hope so). I really get what some posters have said about the feeling of total freedom after retirement...I'm so looking forward to that. In 60's our health is still pretty good, but 70's the body really starts to act its age.

I was at the doctor's office yesterday and the nurse said "the only thing golden about the golden years is our peeeee! Too funny....

Old 04-20-2011, 12:41 PM

Yes, death is certainly preferable to living life again from one's 20's to 80's and having a whole 2nd opportunity to live another full life.

No.

Old 04-20-2011, 04:51 PM

3,919 posts, read 3,092,014 times
Quote:
CAM2, the choice is not between enjoying your life right now and going back to re-live another life span. The hypothetical choice is between dying at age 78 or 85 (or whatever elderly age) and being given the opportunity to live a whole 2nd life from teens or 20's or 30's to old. Upon facing death at age 78 or 85 or 89, I would think many people would grab an opportunity to live another entirely new life span of 7 or 8 decades.
Quote:
Yes, death is certainly preferable to living life again from one's 20's to 80's and having a whole 2nd opportunity to live another full life.

No.
You seem to have a problem accepting that some people would actually NOT prefer to live their lives over again.

Once is enough for some of us.

Old 04-20-2011, 05:26 PM

It would not be living your 'same life' over again.....it would be living a whole new and different life.
You would be granted a whole new and different life - unlike and totally different from your first life.

But if you prefer death, so be it. All hypothetical anyway.

Old 04-21-2011, 07:38 AM

3,919 posts, read 3,092,014 times
Quote:
No. I actually prefer to be living what I have left to the fullest. That's NOT hypothetical - it's a real choice!

Old 04-21-2011, 08:59 AM

114 posts, read 92,727 times
I really enjoyed my college years and even into my twenties. During that time I didnt really have a whole lot of money, but it didnt matter. I would relive that time in a heartbeat, the good the bad and the ugly (well there really wasnt any ugly, just sounds good ) But getting into the spirit of the thread, during those "middle years" there is more burden, responsibilty etc. due to career and other factors. Once retired alot of that goes away, thus a happier time. As I get closer to retirement it is difficult not to think of the endless possibilities that will exist during that time of my life. That said, I think its a mistake to neglect the present. Thus I think people should make the most of the present, and enjoy life to its fullest. This can be challenging at times, but thats always the goal.

Old 04-21-2011, 10:13 AM

88 posts, read 108,407 times
Quote:
It would not be living your 'same life' over again.....it would be living a whole new and different life.
You would be granted a whole new and different life - unlike and totally different from your first life.

=============================

I do not prefer death over living right now. I hope to live as my relatives--a very long life, preferably a healthy one. That said, ONE life on EARTH with no regrets is sufficient for me.

If you believe in reincarnation or whatever else, hopefully, you can achieve a return to earth some day to experience a totally new life with different consequences the second time around. Good luck with it.

Old 04-21-2011, 10:52 AM

No, I do not believe in reincarnation. I was just curious as to why some people would refuse and forfeit an opportunity to live a whole new and different life span of 7 or 8 decades - from teens or 20's or 30's thru 80's - if given the opportunity.

Living another whole new and different life of another 70 or 80 years or so from the beginning would certainly beat the eternal nothingness of death and the loss of consciousness for eternity - in my book.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement