Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How much income do you think you need annually to retire?
Less than $40,000 92 27.63%
At or over $40,000 52 15.62%
At or over $50,000 86 25.83%
More than $75,000 103 30.93%
Voters: 333. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2012, 07:16 PM

37,468 posts, read 61,396,384 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowbird100 View Post
I still think Canadians pay less in health care costs (also based on what Modhatter posted) but get universal health care. ...
In the face of so much evidence to the opposite. You show great courage and determination by insisting on your delusion. You are to be commended in that regard.

Less taxes is less. Higher taxes is higher. I do understand that it gets confusing at times. Bigger numbers are bigger than smaller numbers.

To pay higher taxes, is more costly. Not less costly.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2012, 08:00 PM

84 posts, read 223,890 times
I chose more than $75,000.

I am just gonna assume that SS and Medicaid will be cut by the time I get there.

I have yet to see COL or healthcare cost go down soooo....

Old 02-21-2012, 08:01 PM

2,420 posts, read 4,370,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
I think that most doctors in clinics everywhere accept patients.

My PCP does.
I think she is referring to picking a GP for yourself, as opposed to going to a walk in clinic. The other point is that because other countries have higher taxes than the US, and most do, does not translate to the money going exclusively to a universal health plan. Remember, no other country is even close to the US in debt. And there are factual numbers that support the fact that we pay more than any other country in health care. In many cases over 100% more.

Don't elude yourself to thinking that their higher taxes go exclusively to health care because that is a total fallacy. If we did not enact the Bush Tax cuts and reduce taxes 10 years ago, we would not be in the dire straights we are now, ( plus fund a ten year war with no end in sight.) Remember we had a surplus before that. And you can talk about how great the American health care is here to the cows come home, but the facts do not support that. I certainly love my country as much as anyone, but that doesn't blind me to the fact that other countries may have some better ideas than we do.

This thread started on the question of "Do you think you have enough to retire". What have you heard time and time again from posters on this subject? There concerns about being able to afford health care. It prevents them from retiring early if they do not have a company provided extended plan after they retire, which most don't. They can not leave their job because of health care or even move out of state, because they may not be able to get coverage if they have high blood pressure. That they can't afford the premiums when they are not being paid for by a large company. That they lost their job, and their insurance premiums eat up half of their income and they can't afford it. This is the gorilla in the room. This is what scares people most.

News flash. Concerned about our children and grandchildren. You should be.
Because the pensions of yesterday will not be there tomorrow. The generous company health care plans will be much less generous as time goes on or become non existent. It has already started. And what is it we are saying about the future of social security for the young folk? All I can say, is we better have an awful lot of very smart people able to graduate from the overly expensive universities, so they can get great jobs and make enough money to put away to fund their own pension, social security, 401K and I guess even health care. But hey, that's only going to effect most our young people. The wealthy will continue to thrive.

Old 02-21-2012, 08:02 PM

2,312 posts, read 3,665,184 times
5 zillion dollars

Old 02-21-2012, 08:09 PM

1,072 posts, read 1,946,246 times
I worked for the Canadian giant Nortel for almost 25 years until they ultimately slid into bankruptcy in 2009 & sold off my division in 2010. being vested in retirement I officially retired and took my retiree medical coverage so I am now guaranteed coverage.

In terms of Canadian satisfaction with their universal healthcare, I can tell you that after 25 years of working day in & day out with Canadians, expats & otherwise, i can tell you that I have yet to meet a single one who would take US style health care over Canadian healthcare. One of the biggest reasons? When they get older, they don't have to worry about whether or not they will have needed healthcare. How many Americans can say this about our for profit healthcare system?

Old 02-21-2012, 08:15 PM

37,468 posts, read 61,396,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by modhatter View Post
I think she is referring to picking a GP for yourself, as opposed to going to a walk in clinic.
Which is what I did.

Doesn't everyone in the US pick for themselves their PCP?

Quote:
... The other point is that because other countries have higher taxes than the US, and most do, does not translate to the money going exclusively to a universal health plan. Remember, no other country is even close to the US in debt. And there are factual numbers that support the fact that we pay more than any other country in health care. In many cases over 100% more.
That mouse in your pocket when you say "we" probably should not have a voice.

Quote:
... Don't elude yourself to thinking that their higher taxes go exclusively to health care because that is a total fallacy.
I pay no income taxes on my pension.

I pay very little taxes of any form.

Quote:
... And you can talk about how great the American health care is here to the cows come home, but the facts do not support that. I certainly love my country as much as anyone, but that doesn't blind me to the fact that other countries may have some better ideas than we do.
I have lived overseas, my personal experiences are not limited by only having lived stateside.

Quote:
... This thread started on the question of "Do you think you have enough to retire". What have you heard time and time again from posters on this subject? There concerns about being able to afford health care. It prevents them from retiring early if they do not have a company provided extended plan after they retire, which most don't. They can not leave their job because of health care or even move out of state, because they may not be able to get coverage if they have high blood pressure. That they can't afford the premiums when they are not being paid for by a large company. That they lost their job, and their insurance premiums eat up half of their income and they can't afford it. This is the gorilla in the room. This is what scares people most.
I am retired.

I do not need to project about some future retirement.

I did not retire 'early'. I was forced onto pension involuntarily due to my advanced age.

Old 02-21-2012, 08:39 PM

Just keep arguing it Robyn.

Healthcare Costs Around the World

Snapshots: Health Care Spending in the United States & Selected OECD Countries - Kaiser Family Foundation

Health Care Budget Deficit Calculator

List of countries by total health expenditure (PPP) per capita - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Actually some of these are a couple of years old. We're up to 17% of GDP now.

Old 02-21-2012, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
Which is what I did.

Doesn't everyone in the US pick for themselves their PCP? No, not some with HMO's

That mouse in your pocket when you say "we" probably should not have a voice. Referring to the US.

I pay no income taxes on my pension.
I pay very little taxes of any form.
I'm very glad for you

I have lived overseas, my personal experiences are not limited by only having lived stateside. OK, what country did you live in, and how long ago and did you have any experience with their medical care?

I am retired.
I do not need to project about some future retirement.
Does that mean you don't care about anyone else, cause your set?

I did not retire 'early'. I was forced onto pension involuntarily due to my advanced age.
I understand that. This has happened to a number of people in the current environment.

With all due respect Beekeeper. This discussion was not directed at you personally. I do know you have health care and you don't pay taxes on your pension. My "we" is referring to Americans in general as a nation.

Many people may not be effected yet by this problem, (those who feel they have very secure jobs or are all ready retired and or have pensions) but eventually all younger people will be very effected. And it is always better to figure out solutions and act proactively before the sh-t hits the fan.

If our (US) exceedingly high cost of health care is not dealt with very soon and a major effort to reform it made, many will suffer. That was my point. Not you personally. I am on Medicare and most likely will not be effected to much in my life time, and I am not poor. But you didn't have to be black to march for De-segrigation, or a woman to fight for the right to vote. So it is something I am concerned about, even though I may not be directly effected.

Old 02-22-2012, 06:15 AM

584 posts, read 1,688,556 times
It is pretty clear to me that health care is way too expensive in the US.

Thanks for posting the links.

Old 02-22-2012, 06:20 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,198,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowbird100 View Post
It is pretty clear to me that health care is way too expensive in the US.
We could turn it over to the Mafia and not get ripped off as much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement