Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2011, 01:59 PM

30,897 posts, read 36,958,653 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
I was able to live, work, and travel Asia and Europe while employed. I would not trade that experience, it was very valuable, largely in educating myself and my family about how MOST of the world lives. (which isn't too 'cushy')
This is a very good point. In my travels to Latin America I noticed the middle class there lives without a lot of things considered necessities by Americans (even ones who aren't middle class). Yet the people there seemed just as happy, if not happier than Americans. I've always been frugal, but this very much confirmed what I'd though all along about the relationship between stuff and happiness....once you rise a few rungs above poverty level, more stuff doesn't make you any happier. Unfortunately, most people don't figure this out until they've stretched to buy a house they can barely afford, have 2 car loans, kids, etc.....and at that point it usually takes many years to dig yourself out of the mess you're in. Many get overwhelmed and don't even try.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2011, 02:04 PM

4,196 posts, read 6,297,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
His belief in a higher power is very real for him and we can't prove the existence of a high power either way....so please just show some respect for others' beliefs, ok?
no, not ok! why should i show 'respect' for someone elses' delusion?
Don't be silly!

Respect is 'earned'. not every thought and delusion deserves 'respect'!

Old 05-05-2011, 03:28 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,658,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Themanwithnoname View Post
WHY are you posting here a d not working?

STOP BEING LAZY!

GET BACK TO WORK!!!!
I work overnights.

Old 05-05-2011, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinking-man View Post
no, not ok! why should i show 'respect' for someone elses' delusion?
Don't be silly!

Respect is 'earned'. not every thought and delusion deserves 'respect'!
certainly not the idea of "retirement". How delusional.

Old 05-05-2011, 03:40 PM

Quote:
i would be right here. I'm not sure if the same can be said about you based on some of your comments
Plus, just because i support it, doesn't mean that it'll happen. There are laws you know!
That's good for you, because your username is pretty faulty.

Old 05-05-2011, 04:17 PM

1,338 posts, read 2,565,813 times
Quote:
Hello,
i'm 30, been working for 7 years as an engineer and i can't wait until i retire. That's not because i hate what i do;

My goal is to retire by 50, and i'm saving accordingly.

A friend brought up the idea of moving to Thailand or some other remote place....he was saying how you could buy a nice place on the beach for 200k!

What if.....by 50, i could save about 1.5 Mil. and move somewhere like that, buy a place outright, and just live for the remainder of my days care free!

reality is that you don't know how long you'll live....what's the point of working/saving until you're 65, then have all this money and boom, die at 75 or 80?
why not retire with less at a younger age (ie. 50), and live a simpler life with less money, but have longer to enjoy it. (ie. 30 years, versus 15)

I think about stuff like this DAILY! literally! Am i alone?
as long as you plan correctly and not just daydream it sounds like a great plan.
I have a friend who retired at 43. He had a job that paid great bonus and he would put each one towards buying a new house that he then rented out. He is going to be 50 this year and has property in the UK, Japan, Australia, Singapore and Hong Kong. He spends his time traveling and between his 'homes' in Hong Kong and Singapore.
I also have 2 friends who are semi-retired and Phuket is their main residence. They escape during the rainy season and month do a bit of consultancy work as and when they can be bothered. One is late 40's the other early 50's. I used to love going to stay with them when I lived that side of the world... My husband has been planning his retirement for years. He's now 42.... nothing wrong with planning... we just can't decide which country to do it in......maybe half Switzerland and half Thailand.... thats the fave option at the moment.

BTW I would not describe Thailand as remote.... you have great buzzing cities and a very international mix of people living there.

Old 05-05-2011, 06:03 PM

11,558 posts, read 12,054,189 times
Quote:
well, that's my belief.....and you don't have the right to scoff at 'my' belief!!!
Nice try...but I did not scoff your belief.

Old 05-06-2011, 05:56 AM

1,920 posts, read 4,320,950 times
Quote:
what happened to him? where is he now?

Don't know. Lost track of him. He'd be about 75 now, and since the internet happened before him he wouldn't have any desire to get into that. So I couldn't trace him on the internet either. 40+ years is a long time to try to find someone who has no internet presence.

He used to be a director at Harris Upham, which morphed into Smith, Barney, Harris Upham, INC. I actually interfviewed for them in 1971, but they said I couldn't get the job because I didn't know anyone with REAL money to get me connected. My wife was governessing for their kids, and was at Martha's Vineyard. They were staying in a house there across from the Gilette's(the razor people). I went to a party and learned quickly that I should NOT say I was looking for a job. Some lady, one of the Gillettes I think asked me what I was doing, and I said, "I recdently graduated and am looking for some thing big." She said, "Yeah my son graduated five years ago and hasn't found something big yet. I think maybe his Dad will buy him a bank to manage." Whew!

Old 05-07-2011, 07:21 AM

507 posts, read 1,537,801 times
To the OP-

My husband and I are just about to do what you are asking about.

I will turn 49 later this year, my husband just turned 50. Everything is in place for us to be retired and living at the beach of our dreams by December of this year. We both have worked hard for this. We wanted to be young enough to truly enjoy retirement, so it is what we have planned for a long time.

Needless to say I can't wait

Old 05-07-2011, 09:54 AM

4,196 posts, read 6,297,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrainOfSalt View Post
To the OP-

My husband and I are just about to do what you are asking about.

I will turn 49 later this year, my husband just turned 50. Everything is in place for us to be retired and living at the beach of our dreams by December of this year. We both have worked hard for this. We wanted to be young enough to truly enjoy retirement, so it is what we have planned for a long time.

Needless to say I can't wait

that's so wonderful! I'm truly happy for you!
which beach?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement