U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2007, 10:19 PM

55,604 posts, read 11,785,270 times
Default Living with your children

If you retire,would you stay with your grown children,like a lot of asian families would stay together,do you think you would be able to?
Would you live in a retirement home?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2007, 10:43 PM

289 posts, read 747,893 times
A resounding "NO" to both questions.

Old 08-02-2007, 09:29 AM

7,865 posts, read 13,750,361 times
Both those options are distasteful to me. My parents did it to me and I have promised myself that the misery ended with me. I will never do this to anyone else.

Old 08-02-2007, 11:54 AM

5,329 posts, read 11,635,892 times
If either of my in-laws moved into my house, I think I would move out. Both have extremely annoying and unique personal habits that would drive one up the wall. Lucky they have set aside enough for their retirement and long terms plans. Not a worry.

Old 08-02-2007, 01:24 PM

8,470 posts, read 10,560,188 times
My 92 year old mom lives with us. She may out live us as well. I could not leave her in N.Ca alone as there were several "preditor" type friends she made that wanted to help her with her banking and such. I would not, could not, move in with our children. I would rather jump off of a bluff someplace. But we are getting along just fine and she will stay here until she needs to go into a home, or we go into a home, whichever occurs first.

Old 08-02-2007, 02:10 PM

5,242 posts, read 11,320,968 times
I would have my mother move in with us if that seemed to be the best thing for her. I would also live in a retirement home if the circumstances were right.

After my FIL died about 6 years ago, my then 84 year old MIL sold her condo and moved into a retirement home - she has a nice size 1 bedroom apartment with a small kitchen and maid service...3 delicious meals are included in the fancy dining room. They have all kinds of activities, clubs and field trips and they even do community service projects. Living in a retirement community has kept my MIL from being lonesome.

If the choice were live with my kids (whom I love and adore) or move into a retirement home, I'd choose the retirement home - I would not want to be a burden to my kids or strain relationships with my DIL's. One thing is for sure, I hope to remain flexible with regards to living arrangements as my mother ages and as my husband and I age - there are lots of options to consider.

Old 08-02-2007, 02:31 PM

10,051 posts, read 13,831,055 times
One thing is for sure, I hope to remain flexible with regards to living arrangements as my mother ages and as my husband and I age - there are lots of options to consider.[/quote]

What do you mean by "a home?" Some people think "institutional nursing home." There's a lot of space between the latter and one's own home.

I have no children, by choice. I built my little dream house with a first-floor bedroom and bath. I am aware of how car-dependent I am, although made sure not to move into "the sticks." I am one mile from a few necessary things, and my local town has some Council on Aging services/transport. I pay attention to 62+ apartment communities. (Around here, 55+ housing means cool new smaller houses way out on the highway). I keep an eye on older old age, when one might be less mobile or able.
I try my best to save money and have equity so I will have choices if a frailer older age comes to me.

I hear I am unusual for 54. I don't obsess about it, but I remain aware that age might cause changes in how/where I live.

I have offered my father to live with me, but so far he has declined. He lives in a small trailer in a very developed area outside Philadelphia, has great health, and can walk to a train to Philly and Atlantic City. I do think he'd move here if he could walk to gambling!
I think we all need to keep older age in the back of our minds. "Retirement" means more than silver-haired foxes on the cover of AARP in virile coupledom on motorcycles!

Old 08-02-2007, 04:24 PM

414 posts, read 1,104,964 times
If one of my kids had a large-enough property on it with a guest house, then it would work. Maybe. Other than that, nah, don't think I'd live with any of my kids although I do miss them when they're not around.

Old 08-02-2007, 07:34 PM

55,604 posts, read 11,785,270 times
Wow! I guess it's better to live a seperate life!

Old 08-02-2007, 08:53 PM

289 posts, read 747,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post

I have no children, by choice. I built my little dream house with a first-floor bedroom and bath. I am aware of how car-dependent I am, although made sure not to move into "the sticks." I am one mile from a few necessary things, and my local town has some Council on Aging services/transport. I pay attention to 62+ apartment communities. (Around here, 55+ housing means cool new smaller houses way out on the highway). I keep an eye on older old age, when one might be less mobile or able.
I try my best to save money and have equity so I will have choices if a frailer older age comes to me.

I hear I am unusual for 54. I don't obsess about it, but I remain aware that age might cause changes in how/where I live.

I think we all need to keep older age in the back of our minds. "Retirement" means more than silver-haired foxes on the cover of AARP in virile coupledom on motorcycles!
If you're unusual for 54, then so am I! I'm a few years older than you, but I started thinking the same way you do at about the same age (when the body began not being quite as "forgiving" as it used to be!).

The reason I'm looking for another house is the same as yours: My current big 2-story house won't coexist well with the 80 or 90something year old me, and I want to be where I can live independently well BEFORE it becomes "a necessity" to think that way.

I'd love to be able to build my dream house but in my market it's just not possible and I definitely don't want to move away from Long Island which I love. There's almost no vacant land and what there is, is either empty lots out in the boonies (no thanks) or existing houses that are way overpriced. Almost everyone who wants new construction ends up having to buy something, tear it down, and then build whatever. Trouble is, you can't even get a teardown in a decent neighborhood for less than 500K. Oh well, such is life.

I'm a firm believer in planning ahead as much as possible. There's a lot that we can't possibly anticipate but it can't hurt to be proactive about the things that we CAN plan ahead for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement