U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2011, 09:25 PM

22 posts, read 17,611 times

Advertisements

Actually, we are very familiar with Kentucky. We visited the Lake Cumberland area for many years. We are thinking a little further south. After just getting home from our last trip, I 'm amazed at the trees and flowers already beautiful in the South than they are here in Ohio. Actually the western areas of both North and South Carolina are looking good. Can't wait until our next trip to scout a future home!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2011, 08:59 AM

2,572 posts, read 3,320,934 times
Quite a diverse set of states, imo...
We spent a couple years, off & on, checking out NC, SC, northern GA, western TN; we finally settled on western NC, and hunted another yearish. Difficult to do in 'less time' imo, esp. if you are nearing retirement and have the time.

We bought 3+ acres on a mtn, at 5,000 ft, above the town of Waynesville, NC...build took a year, and have enjoyed it here for the past 10 yrs.

We now do 5 winter months in Naples to escape those mile high winters, but FL is a completely different situ from one looking in "the Carolina's, Tennessee and possibly Georgia..." as the OP stated.

I would rec'd studying GOOG maps, planning some drive through/drive around trips, and narrowing down your needs & wants, if you want more specific recommendations other than the very general first post.

And, "We still have several years prior to retirement and want to investigate all areas", is really a dart throw as things may/will change over those next 'several years', imo.
My 50Cts...
GL, mD

Old 05-08-2011, 10:55 AM
mlb

1,281 posts, read 1,083,523 times
Interesting discussion. Watching CBS's "Sunday Morning" they highlighted this Gallup Survey:

Hawaii No. 1 in U.S. for Wellbeing, and West Virginia Last

Not that you want to be living in Wyoming or the Dakotas (winters are pretty harsh there)....

But as for "positivity and optimism" they noted this:

Positivity and Optimism the Norm in "Thriving" U.S. States

I think if a local economy is thriving - and there's access to medical care, decent choices in services of all kinds.... you're going to have a much better chance of liking where you are.

We're out west in a state that's doing well. We don't like the idea of shoveling snow either (I'm originally from Wisconsin - my spouse is from So. Cal and it just gets OLD) - but the economies of the places we want to retire to - are not looking so great right now.

Maybe that'll change in 10 years.

Old 05-08-2011, 08:36 PM

22 posts, read 17,611 times
OK, I understand all your thinking, however we can't afford winters in Naples and summers in the mountains. Please think like a middle class citizen. Where is the best climate for all seasons?

Last edited by kruzinkate; 05-08-2011 at 08:45 PM..

Old 05-08-2011, 09:13 PM

17,673 posts, read 23,959,399 times
My looking led me to the Winston-Salem area.
A good mix of everything good you want in a city and not very much at all that's bad.

My objective was getting all those good things, have relatively modest home prices, and still be within reasonable proximity of the Parkway for all the recreational things to do even on day trips.

I looked in some of the smaller towns too but Asheville and Roanoke were the only other real choices. Asheville homes costs too much now (for me) and Roanoke came up short on the cultural things compared to the Triad.

Check back with me in a couple years.

Old 05-09-2011, 10:21 AM

1,922 posts, read 2,358,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
My looking led me to the Winston-Salem area.
My one brother lives in Greensboro and the other lives in Winston Salem. The WS one used to be in financial services, but now installs invisible dog fences. He says that he's the only person he knows for which the smell of dog poop reminds him of MONEY!

My mother moved into a retirement community in Greensboro.

Too far from the ocean and too un-godly hot and humid in the summer time for me!

Old 05-09-2011, 11:36 AM

17,673 posts, read 23,959,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarathu View Post

Too far from the ocean and too un-godly hot and humid in the summer time for me!
I hear you on those points.

In my case I could care less about the ocean... I like mountain streams and rivers.
The 'rationalization' for taking summer time heat (which I really don't mind) is more time spent up on the mountain riding motorcycles or camping in the RV and that the latitude is a trade off for having winters mild enough that I won't feel a need to snowbird in Florida (or Aruba!).

The back up plan (we all need at least one) is that I could rent this place out in a heartbeat if I ever decided to just up and go... and in some regards that's sort of the plan anyway. I'm single now but expect that any woman I'm likely to meet will have a home of her own. That might be anywhere.

But as I said before: Check back with me in a couple years.

Old 05-09-2011, 11:45 AM

1,922 posts, read 2,358,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
I hear you on those points.

In my case I could care less about the ocean... I like mountain streams and rivers.
The 'rationalization' for taking summer time heat (which I really don't mind) is more time spent up on the mountain riding motorcycles or camping in the RV and that the latitude is a trade off for having winters mild enough that I won't feel a need to snowbird in Florida (or Aruba!).

The back up plan (
we all need at least one) is that I could rent this place out in a heartbeat if I ever decided to just up and go... and in some regards that's sort of the plan anyway. I'm single now but expect that any woman I'm likely to meet will have a home of her own. That might be anywhere.

But as I said before: Check back with me in a couple years.
You might be being to rational about this.

Old 07-05-2011, 12:06 PM

4 posts, read 2,601 times
I'm new to the site and want to say Hello to All!

My situation is this. I will try to give as much info as possible so as to receive needed info!
My husband and I have some minor disabilities, and will be coming into a so-so settlement.
We own our home in Ohio, and will most likely close it up and have Family take care of it untill we decide to sell it ,hoping for a better market.

We would like to Retire to Kentucky, near Lake Cumberland, or Rough River Lake, maybe Nolin Lake.
I lived (1yr.) in the Dan.Boone National area,Have to say I LOVED IT! I think Somerset was really the closest town.

Neither of us work, but if I would take on a part time ,it would be as a grill cook,prep cook, or sell My Cheesecakes to a local Diner.

We are avid Bikers(MC)! And will be looking for friends to ride with that live in the area.Are there any groups that get together? My husband is Loud ,Boistrious,Fun Loving and easy to Friend.

I have been online and did find 2 or 3 homes (needing TLC) that are either on the water or near it. Not sure as to where yet as our attorney is in the last stretch of this freaking crap
We will Know by the middle of August 2011.

Also My Daughter and Fiance with 2 Young grand-daughters are looking to move from same area as us to somewhere nearer our destination,and she will be looking for work in Management in retail, gas station or most anything to start. She is also going to finish up with her Nursing. He is disabled and will not be looking. Any info You can share about Housing for them in a lower income bracket would be helpful. Around $400-$450 per month is all she can do at this time. Has a car, and would like something out a bit from town cheap, but will live in town if need be for the school etc.She might like Somerset,Ky.or near there. Do You know Leitchfield? I know they are different areas, but like I said,not sure where we will land!

Hopefully I have given enough info! All comments welcome Please!

Trish

Old 07-05-2011, 02:59 PM

8,473 posts, read 14,388,795 times
Don't give up on NC and SC as 'snow' country too quickly. Even though they do get some snow/ice it's not like Ohio where it hangs on forever. It lasts a few days and if you are retired....you can just stay home till it melts. It's not like you HAVE to get to work every day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement