U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Halloween!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2011, 05:08 PM

12,026 posts, read 8,035,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
Not a senior drama really. You heldup the line and the girl was rude enough to do what she did. If you were going to do anything ;you would have.Move on.
Yes, time to move on to the next senior (trivial) dilemma. Anyone?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2011, 08:58 PM

298 posts, read 311,575 times
...would be a normal day for me.

Old 05-22-2011, 02:04 AM

29,322 posts, read 25,468,445 times
here in nyc compared to what goes in food a sneeze is a good thing.

Old 05-22-2011, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
here in nyc compared to what goes in food a sneeze is a good thing.
I can well imagine

Old 05-22-2011, 07:40 AM

7,041 posts, read 2,960,307 times
I would have paid the increase without hassling the person behind the counter. Not her fault-she's just doing her job. I'm not sure how I'd handle it in the future. I quit smoking when ciggies went up to 50 cents a pack but that was a few yrs ago. Now I'm more surprised when prices don't go up.

As for the sneeze, I'd definitely have tossed the coffee. YUK! but not made a big deal out of it. Sneezes happen. sigh

Old 05-22-2011, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAhippo View Post
I would have paid the increase without hassling the person behind the counter. Not her fault-she's just doing her job. I'm not sure how I'd handle it in the future. I quit smoking when ciggies went up to 50 cents a pack but that was a few yrs ago. Now I'm more surprised when prices don't go up.

As for the sneeze, I'd definitely have tossed the coffee. YUK! but not made a big deal out of it. Sneezes happen. sigh
I know, you are right. But I'm a shoestringer retiree and was already paying $1.50 more than my allotted budget. When I told the young man behind the counter what happened (rather sheepishly after all), he said let me get you another one. Nice young man! But he lost points by calling me ma'am.

Old 05-22-2011, 08:20 PM

6,621 posts, read 7,074,976 times
Absolutely not in my book. I prefer being called ma'am over "guys". I had my sons call any woman they didn't know: ma'am or miss out of politeness. Same with sir. I got my first senior discount the other day without having to request it - made me chuckle.

Old 05-22-2011, 09:10 PM

410 posts, read 374,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
I know, you are right. But I'm a shoestringer retiree and was already paying $1.50 more than my allotted budget. When I told the young man behind the counter what happened (rather sheepishly after all), he said let me get you another one. Nice young man! But he lost points by calling me ma'am.
You sure wouldn't adapt well living in NE Tennessee if you have a problem with being called ma'am.

Old 05-22-2011, 10:06 PM

74,405 posts, read 34,553,341 times
Food is going up quicker than you can imagine.
The commodity prices shot through the roof and months later we are now seeing the increases.
The effects of raw commodities are not seen by consumers for a while. Expect it to get worse.
Cotton alone went up over 300%...I stocked up on cotton clothes over Christmas.

Old 05-23-2011, 06:59 AM

1,922 posts, read 2,257,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
I didn't say anything to the college girl but probably should have. That's what got me mad probably, my inability to speak up to her. I don't know what I would have said though, other than "thanks a lot!"

People don't listen; people don't change. 40+ years in mental health services have taught me that. Yesterday I drove past an Amish kid who was crouched down on his scooter less air resistance as he went down a hill. I should have turned around and told him that scooting down a major highway where people zip by at 60 mph, with him crouched down and difficult to see with no orange triangle, and there being no shoulder, is simply a death wish.

But I don't see his death in the paper this morning so I get he got by this time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement