Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2011, 06:24 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,693,227 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Themanwithnoname View Post
Yep. I'm Medically retired.

I have a feet injury (With orthodics and Narcodics I can stand up 3-3.5 hours)

+ a neck injury.

It's worth just over $400

-That's about my monthly medical bills using tricare...

(ETA: That's not counting the VA, but believe it, it isn't much)
And to add insult to injury I have to pay the Army SBP (Survivor Benefit Plan) every month even though my wife won't be able to collect it. I'd have been better off without the retirement just going to the VA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2011, 08:57 PM

801 posts, read 2,212,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne22 View Post
$18K for life with a Cola after only six years!!
I think this is an OUTRAGEOUS number for six years in Congress.

Military is worth that and more. Congress - never.
Adriadne22...just stating the facts. If it were up to me, I'd change it. Considering the debt the country is facing...I would not be surprised if the retirement system goes through big changes in the coming years.

Old 05-23-2011, 09:33 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,693,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgoodwx View Post
Adriadne22...just stating the facts. If it were up to me, I'd change it. Considering the debt the country is facing...I would not be surprised if the retirement system goes through big changes in the coming years.
Great, my Army Retirement is ($50.00-) per month, in other words I pay them $50.00 a month. What else can they do

Old 05-23-2011, 09:41 PM

32,931 posts, read 36,341,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loveautumn View Post
Is that 50% pay benefit automatically transferred to one's widow after death?
no

Old 05-23-2011, 10:17 PM

32,931 posts, read 36,341,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justice for all View Post
Is this true?

No one has been able to explain to me why young men and women who serve in the U.S. Military for 20 years, risking their lives protecting freedom, only get 50% of their pay at retirement. While Politicians, who hold their political positions in the safe confines of the capital, protected by these same men and women, receive full pay retirement after serving ONE term. It just does not make any sense.

Monday they learned that the staffers of Congress family members are exempt from having to pay back student loans.
Fifty % is good. People are pretty much kicked out when the military is cleaning house. Not everyone who makes cuts gets to retire with that 50%. Sometimes it has been 33% or as little as 25%. I know a couple of people who (it happened to many) offered a check to leave or get nothing.

Military Retirement Under the Gramm Rudman Act | eHow.com

The fifty percent is half of base pay. If a soldier was paid extra for being the base safety officer, received hazardous duty pay, any number of things, it just doesn't figure into the the equation.

It's not right, but what is?

Old 05-23-2011, 11:33 PM

5,730 posts, read 10,125,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loveautumn View Post
Is that 50% pay benefit automatically transferred to one's widow after death?

No, if you want (I think a PART of your retirement, but don't quote me) to go to her after your death, you have to let them take $ out of your paycheck every month for 20, 30 years... (Some high number)

I noted it on my (Whatever the retired version of) My LES, and asked my boss (Retired Army) he isn't having it done, due to the smallness of his check, so that is why he's working the 2nd career, to give his wife something when he passes on, since his $ will stop upon his death (I think she still gets the tricare and other bennies though)

SO in short... No. You PAY for it!

Old 05-23-2011, 11:35 PM

5,730 posts, read 10,125,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgoodwx View Post

Congress critters have their own 'social insecurity' etc...

THEIR 'Retirement system' is stand alone.

Old 05-24-2011, 12:24 AM

801 posts, read 2,212,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
Great, my Army Retirement is ($50.00-) per month, in other words I pay them $50.00 a month. What else can they do
Maybe I should have specified what I would change. Even when I was working for the federal government, I thought it strange that someone could begin a federal career at age 57, work 5 years, and earn a retirement check at age 62. Since most federal workers have to work a minimum of 30 years to retire at age 55...it seems that a minimum of 23 years and age 62 should go together....not 5 years and age 62. So...that's what I meant. I don't want to take Boompa's retirement away...

Old 05-24-2011, 06:38 AM

37,461 posts, read 61,379,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justice for all View Post
Is this true?

No one has been able to explain to me why young men and women who serve in the U.S. Military for 20 years, risking their lives protecting freedom, only get 50% of their pay at retirement. ...
A 20-year pension [technically a transfer to reserves until the servicemember reaches 30-years in service] is 50% of 'base-pay'.

It is not 50% of their total pay.

For example; I got base-pay and I also got a selection of other pays. The total of my monthly take-home pay was normally around twice my base-pay.

When I retired; my pension was/is 25% of my average take-home pay [from during the last half of my active duty career].

After a person has reaching 20+ years and is transfered to reserves [in my case, I was forced to retire due to high-year-tenure] that person is then subject to recall should the military ever need them again.

It is only after the 30-year point that recalling the person becomes slightly harder as at that point Congress must authorize it.

Old 05-24-2011, 09:56 AM

11,175 posts, read 16,014,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Themanwithnoname View Post
Congress critters have their own 'social insecurity' etc...

THEIR 'Retirement system' is stand alone.
No, it's not. They are covered under the same retirement system as all other federal employees and is composed of a combination of a defined benefit annuity, Social Security, and a 401(k). (Their annuity portion is computed using the same formula used for federal law enforcement, firefighters, and air traffic controllers.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement