U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2007, 06:35 AM

13,106 posts, read 24,883,519 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by abcdef View Post
anyone moving or retiring in Mississippi will soon find out it is the biggest mistake in their life. almost like living in a 3rd world country..

Can you be a little more forth coming...like examples
It would be helpful

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2007, 11:52 AM

42 posts, read 119,055 times
I recommend East Tennessee. The way of life is great. The Smoky mountains are the prettiest in the world and there is so much entertainment in Pigeon Forge and Gatlinburg you never get bored. It's also close to North Carolina. Where Maggie Valley is a treat. Douglas Lake is great for fishing and boating. The town of Dandridge is a historical town. Quiet and laid back but real friendly and close to Knoxville, home of the World's Fair, and Pigeon Forge and Gatlinburg. A lot of entertainers come to East Tennessee more then Nashville.

Old 09-02-2007, 07:54 AM

15 posts, read 49,814 times
We're looking for a town of 5-6,000 in North or South Carolina, too. We loved Aiken (although it's a little bigger), but it was a little too far from the coast for us. Very friendly people. A chamber of commerce that is trying to keep that small-town flavor. Wide streets, cute stores. It's a real winner. The chamber told us that a lot of folks from Fl are moving there. It IS very hot in the summer. Oh, it's also a horse community with lots of walking paths, too. Lots of churches. If only it were a wee bit closer to water...

Old 09-17-2007, 03:03 AM

899 posts, read 3,180,197 times
I retired to Summerville, South Carolina three years ago. It is a smaller, almost Victorian style town that is growing in the outer areas. Pretty affordable, nice people, ocean & lakes within driving distance for a day trip.

The city of Charleston is fantastic. The history is amazing. Well preserved and horse drawn carriage rides are the way to see it. Five colleges in the area keep up the cultural life and the restaurants are phenomenal.

I looked all along the East Coast, including inland and we are very happy here.

Old 09-19-2007, 10:34 PM
NCN

21,135 posts, read 21,881,518 times
We were out exploring this week end and I think the name of the place we visited was Sun City. Anyway it is on highway 521 south of Charlotte in South Carolina. It wasn't for us because I like to tinker in the yard too much, but we discussed how that would be a wonderful for retirees who were looking for a nice place to live with activities and not too many responsibilities. I have no idea what the prices of the homes were, but there was a golf course, we saw people on bicycles, looked like a pool and clubhouse, a place for lawn bowling, we thought. It is a gated community, but they were really nice about letting us look around. Everything was really laid back and easy going. We saw a lake that would be ideal for paddle boats. It was quite impressive. The homes were too close together for me, but some people like that. There were lots of sidewalks for walking and small lakes. There was a grocery store close by, but major shopping would probably be in Lancaster or Charlotte-Pineville-Matthews. This is just for those who are looking for a retirement village and are not close enough to see for yourself.

Old 03-15-2009, 05:11 AM

40 posts, read 88,174 times
I retired to southwest, florida. Sort of a "summer camp" for senior citizens.

Housing prices have crashed. If you are handy you can buy a fixer=upper for under $50,000 and a new house for about $125,000.

My home is 20 minutes from a white sand beach with warm Gulf of Mexico water at your feet.

This isn't the place to move if you want to work full time, now that the worldwide economy has collapsed. But if you have put away retirement funds North Port, Florida is a good place to consider.

Old 03-15-2009, 07:49 AM

6,990 posts, read 6,985,767 times
Default Horses in Aiken

Quote:
Originally Posted by mairbryn View Post
We're looking for a town of 5-6,000 in North or South Carolina, too. We loved Aiken (although it's a little bigger), but it was a little too far from the coast for us. Very friendly people. A chamber of commerce that is trying to keep that small-town flavor. Wide streets, cute stores. It's a real winner. The chamber told us that a lot of folks from Fl are moving there. It IS very hot in the summer. Oh, it's also a horse community with lots of walking paths, too. Lots of churches. If only it were a wee bit closer to water...
I wonder if you have to be "horse people" to fit in with the people in Aiken? That worries me because I'm afraid of horses and would never partake!

Old 03-15-2009, 08:58 AM

71,520 posts, read 71,694,121 times
we too are interested in summerville.... we are nyc now with a home in the poconos we will retire to but we will probley want to be somehere warmer for the winter

Last edited by mathjak107; 03-15-2009 at 09:24 AM..

Old 03-15-2009, 09:26 AM

2,317 posts, read 4,638,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
we too are interested in summerville.... we are nyc now with a home in the poconos we will retire to but we will probley want to be somehere warmer for the winter
same here..we figure the jan,feb mos....get a furnished condo/apartment....

Old 03-15-2009, 03:30 PM

767 posts, read 1,846,580 times
Default abcdef from ????

abcdef, there are many who would disagree wholeheartedly with you. Nice rural homes with acreage are available at very reasonable prices in northern Mississippi and recreational opportunities abound. Taxes are reasonable. The climate there is similar to the whole tier of states running along the Tennessee border as well as the much-loved climate of Raleigh-Durham-Chapel Hill in NC.

For those interested in northern Mississippi, go to realtor.com and type in New Albany MS, Etta MS, or any of the small town names in that vicinity and you will see what I'm talking about. One of my friends has looked at many of the properties listed on that site and said that they are generally accurately described. He and his spouse are going back soon to scout out the properties he found on landsofamerica.com as well. Go to the city-data.com and type in those town names and I believe you will find many who love living in that area.

Last edited by nalabama; 03-15-2009 at 03:33 PM.. Reason: Confusion!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement