U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2009, 02:32 AM

71,511 posts, read 71,694,121 times

Advertisements

becareful with rural.... rural is nice but dont think for a second that my wife and i dont think about the fact that maybe its not such a good idea going rural as we get older.... we live in nyc now but have a home in a fairly rural area in pa...

if for some reason you cant drive your doomed.. everything is a 15-20 minute drive... there is no public transportation. the winters are rough and there isnt much to do as you age..... medical care locally is limited... emergency services are volunteer and can take a while to muster and get to you.....

we cant even walk to the mail boxes in our development as its a good mile or so of hills to get to them as they are centrally located....

dont get me wrong, we love it there but all these things about country life do concern us
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2009, 05:16 PM

7,185 posts, read 2,752,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by staywarm2 View Post
I wonder if you have to be "horse people" to fit in with the people in Aiken? That worries me because I'm afraid of horses and would never partake!
You don't have to be horsey at all in Aiken. We've lived here for a while, and have yet to see a horse on the roads or at the grocery store. Happened quite often when we lived in the countryside outside of Ocala, FL, tho.

PM me if you want - we have a lovely 3/2, almost half an acre, in a quiet subdivision with no HOA fees, 5 minutes from the mall, restaurants, etc. Wish we didn't have to sell, but need to for a transfer to another state.

Old 03-19-2009, 05:28 PM

6,990 posts, read 6,983,811 times
Default What type of community?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim3310 View Post
I retired to Summerville, South Carolina three years ago. It is a smaller, almost Victorian style town that is growing in the outer areas. Pretty affordable, nice people, ocean & lakes within driving distance for a day trip.

The city of Charleston is fantastic. The history is amazing. Well preserved and horse drawn carriage rides are the way to see it. Five colleges in the area keep up the cultural life and the restaurants are phenomenal.

I looked all along the East Coast, including inland and we are very happy here.
Did you buy into a 55+ community or a single family home? How long does it take to get to the beach from Summerville. Thanks for the info.

Old 03-20-2009, 07:12 PM

556 posts, read 1,937,698 times
For more information you can check out Carolina Living's website; click on the Message Board near the top right of the screen, and you can find a forum. It is fine, but there is actually much more useful information on City Data's forum, at least in my humble opinion.

Old 03-21-2009, 02:42 PM

899 posts, read 3,180,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by staywarm2 View Post
Did you buy into a 55+ community or a single family home? How long does it take to get to the beach from Summerville. Thanks for the info.
Single Family Home in a golf community. Lots of social activities here.
I'm in the water in 40 minutes!
jim

Old 03-22-2009, 07:33 AM

6,990 posts, read 6,983,811 times
Default Sounds Wonderful

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim3310 View Post
Single Family Home in a golf community. Lots of social activities here.
I'm in the water in 40 minutes!
jim
Sounds Great! I'm jealous!

Old 03-23-2009, 07:38 PM

28,237 posts, read 39,884,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northporter View Post
I retired to southwest, florida. Sort of a "summer camp" for senior citizens.

Housing prices have crashed. If you are handy you can buy a fixer=upper for under $50,000 and a new house for about $125,000.

My home is 20 minutes from a white sand beach with warm Gulf of Mexico water at your feet.

This isn't the place to move if you want to work full time, now that the worldwide economy has collapsed. But if you have put away retirement funds North Port, Florida is a good place to consider.
What about home insurance and property taxes? I keep hearing they are terrible in Florida.

Old 03-24-2009, 03:36 PM

15,400 posts, read 25,821,439 times
Have you considered Lake Keowee area, or Clemson? You're right on a huge lake, which is almost as good as being near the coast. And being near a large university has some advantages, too.

Old 03-27-2009, 05:59 PM

8,235 posts, read 18,509,075 times
Hi normie.

( We haven't heard from you in awhile.)

I definitely want to be near a large college when I move. Right now I attend the OLLI (Osher Lifelong Learning Instit. ) and i just love it. It's so rewarding.

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 03-28-2009, 02:59 PM

15,400 posts, read 25,821,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nancy thereader View Post
Hi normie.

( We haven't heard from you in awhile.)
Hahaha, not that much time for the computer anymore (except on rainy days like today). I'm a living testament that life in retirement is not boring. Life really got busy, never realized I spent so much time sitting around at work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement