Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2011, 04:15 PM

3,071 posts, read 9,102,995 times

Advertisements

I have been considering retiring for several months , I just learned that the job I wanted to retire from is being eliminated. Now my employer(local school system is telling me my job status is someone who is retiring even though I dont want to retire right now, Can I apply for unemployment benefits in spite of this ? I am only 59 years old with the minimum amount of years of service to retire, What can I do,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2011, 04:40 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,193,087 times
If the job is being eliminated and there is no other job to transfer then I would consider that being let go. Maybe the school district wants to try to get out of unemployment ?

I'd start asking questions as to why "they" decided you were retiring when you gave no notice.
Sounds fishy like the school district would get out of something since you are "retiring" and not getting layed off.

Old 05-24-2011, 04:55 PM

45,024 posts, read 60,017,539 times
They're trying to get out of paying unemployment. Their story will be that you declared your intention to retire and the job was abolished after that.

Old 05-24-2011, 05:07 PM

3,071 posts, read 9,102,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
They're trying to get out of paying unemployment. Their story will be that you declared your intention to retire and the job was abolished after that.
That job was abolished along with several hundred others and I repeated several times to the principal that I had made NO final decision on when I would retire, I dont think thy have an argument .I am sending a certified leter to the human resorses office tomorrow and telling them in a documented way that I am not retiring and under the state guild lines I can stop any paperwork they have going to place me as retired.thanks

Old 05-24-2011, 05:22 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,915,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
That's what happened to my sister at a city school administration job. We believe she was forced out by being treated badly and having unbelievable amounts of work dumped on her as she neared retirement, she was working as a clerk for not one but two administrators each as demanding as the other. They were hoping she would quit and she did after all the stress, then being told they were transferring her (they never did), and then they "eliminated" her job (how could that be, when she was the only clerk in the department???) She had 27 years in and so she got a good city pension but opted not to apply for unemployment when I think she should have.

Old 05-24-2011, 06:30 PM
mlb

4,971 posts, read 4,429,250 times
And employers like this know that people will not protest these labor violations.

Because the powersthatbe have it in for working people. Right to Work, my left butt cheek.

It's right to fire for no cause. I'd lawyer up.

Old 05-24-2011, 07:17 PM

25,597 posts, read 56,293,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nativechief View Post
I have been considering retiring for several months , I just learned that the job I wanted to retire from is being eliminated. Now my employer(local school system is telling me my job status is someone who is retiring even though I dont want to retire right now, Can I apply for unemployment benefits in spite of this ? I am only 59 years old with the minimum amount of years of service to retire, What can I do,
Yes. I answered you on unemployment forum linking threads covering unemployment benefits for teachers.

When an employer 'eliminates the position' it is done to get rid of the employee and avoid a lawsuit. My former employer did that to me and about 100 others - some of retirement age (me) and most who weren't. Nothing you can do about it.

Old 05-24-2011, 07:27 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,617,171 times
This is what Unions are for

Old 05-24-2011, 07:30 PM

25,597 posts, read 56,293,920 times
Teachers have unions. However, budget cutbacks everywhere and no sympathy for unions these days. Don't think the union can help her if her employer says they don't have the money. Teachers are paid with tax dollars after all. All the states and cities are broke these days. Can't raise taxes because people are unemployed and/or earning less and losing their houses. Property and state taxes first to go.

Old 05-24-2011, 07:33 PM

750 posts, read 1,443,346 times
Ariadne22 is right their is nothing you can do. My buddy's Mom is dealing with the same thing. School system got rid of her job. She is 59 as well they gave her 3 really bad options. They hope she takes none of them. They want her to retire she has 27 or 28 years in the system. They want you gone and they will get rid of you one way or the other. This sucks but welcome to the new world of work. Who needs job security?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement