U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2011, 02:38 PM

6,394 posts, read 3,352,334 times

Advertisements

We are interested in possibly retiring to the "high country" of North Carolina. We are looking at Boone, Blowing Rock, Banner Elk areas because of their high elevations which keep the humidity down and because there's lots of cultural and outdoors activities. Also, it is absolutely gorgeous. Has an Adirondack-type feel to it from what we have researched. We've lived in the Rockies at much higher altitude and worse weather, so that is not a problem. The weather is actually almost perfect for us---4 seasons with no extreme temps and minimum bugs.

Has anyone on this forum retired there, and if so, what has been your experience?
Are there many seniors and or senior services there?
Are people friendly?

Supposedly, the health care there is excellent, but would like that confirmed by anyone with experience there.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2011, 06:40 AM

1,922 posts, read 3,778,846 times
I had a friend who did exactly that back in the mid 90's. They loved it!

Old 05-27-2011, 10:35 AM

16,042 posts, read 18,971,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainrose View Post
We are interested in possibly retiring to the "high country" of North Carolina. We are looking at Boone, Blowing Rock, Banner Elk areas because of their high elevations which keep the humidity down and because there's lots of cultural and outdoors activities. Also, it is absolutely gorgeous. Has an Adirondack-type feel to it from what we have researched. We've lived in the Rockies at much higher altitude and worse weather, so that is not a problem. The weather is actually almost perfect for us---4 seasons with no extreme temps and minimum bugs.

Has anyone on this forum retired there, and if so, what has been your experience?
Are there many seniors and or senior services there?
Are people friendly?

Supposedly, the health care there is excellent, but would like that confirmed by anyone with experience there.

Thanks!
Several years ago I visited Asheville and surrounding towns, thinking of retiring there (I have a son in central NC). Asheville didn't do it for me for a number of reasons, but I fell in love with Black Mountain, a tiny town close by with lovely neighborhoods. The air was clean and even the summer heat didn't bother me. Everyone was friendly. Loved the cafe in the center of town, good natural foods and java. Check it out!

Old 05-27-2011, 11:35 AM

956 posts, read 3,591,451 times
My wife and I still have Waynesville on our short list. We spent some time in Hickory (which is kind of the 'foothills'), but I didn't particularly like it there. Hickory felt too much like a suburb of Charlotte to me.

Old 05-28-2011, 04:01 PM

Zarathu,
Were your friends retiring there? And what area did they end up that they loved?
Thanks

Old 05-28-2011, 04:25 PM

Newenglandgirl,

Ashville seems too big and congested for me also. I have looked at Black Mountain briefly as it gets a lot of attention on the city-data forums, but I will look more closely now that you have recommended it.

I am curious if you've ever been up to the Boone, Blowing Rock area, as many of the posts I have read of yours in the past have stated desires that that area really comes with. It looks pricey at first, but there are some amazing deals we've found. Taxes and COL are way lower than NE. There is good transportation (free town bus in Boone!), excellent health care, many hospitals, and lots of cultural venues. It has all the beauty and charm of New England. So I am interested if you have explored the area, and if so, what your impression was. My husband leaves tomorrow to check it out for us as we are pretty hopeful about this area.

I used to live in New England and I miss it dearly, but can't deal with the winters and Lyme ticks any more. Also, I really missed the mountains (I grew up in the Sierras and Rockies). We retired in the Southwest a few years ago, but it is not working out, so we are hoping WNC will---but scared of making a big (expensive!) moving mistake again.
Western NC is the one area that really makes me feel like New England with an Adirondack-like twist to it. Like so many others on this forum---we are having such a hard time figuring out where to retire.

Last edited by mountainrose; 05-28-2011 at 04:33 PM..

Old 05-28-2011, 04:31 PM

RTom,
Thanks--I looked up Waynesville, and it looks like you could use Asheville as your big town---looks like it is only about 10-15 miles away.
Someone (motordavid) over on the city-data WNC sent me some pictures off his deck---mountain and sunset views from up above Waynesville, and they were spectacular!
What other areas are on your short list if I may ask?

Old 05-28-2011, 04:46 PM

956 posts, read 3,591,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainrose View Post
RTom,
Thanks--I looked up Waynesville, and it looks like you could use Asheville as your big town---looks like it is only about 10-15 miles away.
Someone (motordavid) over on the city-data WNC sent me some pictures off his deck---mountain and sunset views from up above Waynesville, and they were spectacular!
What other areas are on your short list if I may ask?
We are also looking at Roanoke, VA. which is "mountainy". We plan a long weekend there this fall. We are still looking at Morehead City, NC - my wife really does like the shore. We had originally looked at a lot of towns along the NC coast, but we've eliminated most of them for one reason or another.

Old 05-28-2011, 07:58 PM

985 posts, read 2,210,499 times
Thought I'd say something about your questions about western NC since I'm in NC. Been reading here when I have time and will be deciding where to move to in a few yrs. for semi-retirement.

Having lived in New England, I can understand your wanting to find a place that gives that feeling of small villages with beautiful hills, clean air and four seasons, and I think where you're looking just might fit the bill.

Be careful in western NC about some of the paper mills that are out that way. I think there are one or two or maybe three. If you just google working paper mills in NC I think a map shows up. Not so much up towards Boone, but more towards Waynesville I remember reading on the Western NC city data that people complained about the smell from some paper mill. Go to Western NC forum and search there, too.

I've been to Asheville but it didn't appeal to me. Too many congested areas. Seems like I'll be looking into further north towards Boone. I know someone who was born and raised there and loved it. Banner Elk is supposed to be a lovely town with lots of charm.

The humidity of central or coastal NC isn't something I can tolerate much longer! If I don't move back north, western NC is a beautiful choice also. It's very confusing trying to make a choice like this, so one thing I decided is that I am not buying property till I live in a place for at least a year by renting somewhere first.
Best of luck,
toodie

Old 05-28-2011, 08:26 PM

Thank you Toodie for that warning on the paper mills. I will have my husband check on that next week while he is there.
Are you confirming then that the humidity is much better in the mountain area compared to where you are central/coastal NC?

You are wise to rent first in an area---it takes so long to really know if it is a good fit or not.
Thanks for your help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or