Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2011, 03:01 PM

462 posts, read 1,009,254 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by loveautumn View Post
gee, I hope ABQ and Georgetown aren't you're only choices here...sounds like you might like a larger metro area where there are alot of things to do, excellent health care facilities, etc...why does a small Texas town attract you? I mean, if you aren't moving for family, then you have so many options!
We are seriously looking at Prescott, AZ now. I have alot of research to do but we like that it's a small town and the climate is superb as well as being surrounded by mountains. As much as we like New Mexico, I'm just not sure that Albuquerque would feel all that safe to live in. ABQ has some ongoing issues with crime that are of concern to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2011, 03:13 PM

462 posts, read 1,009,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK-Cathy View Post

In a transitional community such as where we are living now, we have endured the constant disruption to our social circles over the years as people inevitably leave and new people either are added or not and the circle tends to collapse. As we have gotten older and have transitioned through retirement and as our friends have one by one left the state, we have found the latter happening as we meet fewer people to replace our missing friends.

Unfortunately some of my very good friends have chosen to live in very hot places (I can't take a lot of heat) so I can't relocate to be with them or I would. We visit them in the winter.
I have a good friend (we were friends when we both lived in Anchorage AK) who retired with her husband to Henderson, NV. We go see them in the winter. She would love it if we moved to Henderson, NV where they are; but the heat in the summer is not comfortable at all for dh and myself. Dh and I are more acclimated to living near mountains so that is why we are now considering Prescott AZ.

I can understand, AK-Cathy, why the community is in flux... It seems Anchorage was always like that. We were there for a total of 18 years (2 times). That makes it difficult. But one time I saw an older lady take a bad fall on the ice in Anchorage and I knew there would be no retiring up there for us.

Old 06-14-2011, 10:16 PM

2,398 posts, read 3,834,581 times
Northanna,

Yes. My in-laws live in Henderson. Too hot for me. A very close soul sister friend now lives in Phoenix (Surprise) with her husband and it's one of those friendships where all four of us get along well but Phoenix is way too hot for me. For some odd reason Las Cruces, NM feels like home to me, and we met some really nice people there, but again, the summers would do me in.

So we are probably either going to continue to get out for most of the winter or head for the Pac-NW for good eventually. Leaving for the winter does not help the continuity of friendships up here, that's for sure. Being gone for several months on end, people tend to forget to include us when we get back.

That old lady could be me someday. I've already broken several bones on the ice over the 30+ years we've lived here. And yes, I agree that Anchorage is pretty much a transient community in the bigger picture. We have lived in a neighborhood with a few "old time" Alaskans since 1996 and the "over the fence" chit chat, passing of flower starts and homegrown vegetables with a couple of our neighbors are the most continuity with people that we've had up here.

Old 06-15-2011, 08:09 AM

9,470 posts, read 9,373,019 times
I certainly understand the points of those posted here. But even if you move to a warmer climate, it doesn't necessarily mean people will be friendlier and make friends with you easily. We moved to the suburbs of a large southern city 8 yrs. ago to be closer to DD and grandkids. We have been happy to spend time with them and see the grandkids grow up. HOWEVER, making friends who are closer than mere acquaintainces is extremely difficult. People who are raised here already have a circle of friends and sometimes many relatives. Others are transients/transferees who have a vastly different outlook on life than we do. Some from the north maintain that northern "reserve" they have always had. Try to get past that!!

Without children to pave the way to speaking to strangers at the park or at school, it is hard to easily find people who have something in common with you. Maybe a cute dog would help start conversations!

Leaving good friends is always hard, and as you are away from them for longer periods of time, the friendship changes (unless you can convince them to come for visits).

Entertaining as you age becomes more difficult also. Many people who are in their late 60's and up no longer want to cook the big meals and clean up for guests, so you may meet in restaurants. But this is not like the "old days" when you visited back and forth between homes and really go to know one another in their own setting.

Life is changing for all generations. Look at the teens and twenty-somethings who text all the time. Young people don't like to use the phone anymore. Those in their 30's and 40's are so busy with careers, kids, homes, and spouses that they don't have time to make new friends.

Those of us in retirement have the time, but not always a good situation for meeting like-minded people. We keep trying new things and hope eventually that we'll find a few really good friends to replace those we left behind.

Old 06-15-2011, 10:41 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,712 posts, read 58,054,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK-Cathy View Post
Northanna,

...For some odd reason Las Cruces, NM feels like home to me, and we met some really nice people there, but again, the summers would do me in.

So we are probably either going to continue to get out for most of the winter or head for the Pac-NW for good eventually. ...
I just returned to PNW from visiting Las Cruces (Mom lives there). I am very impressed with the intelligent and engaging senior population and various services there. The brown, dust, and heat will keep me away as a home, but I can see it being a nice place for a 'stop-over' in the winter. I have had additional family who moved from LC to PNW, tho they really prefer TN. PNW is pretty good for them at the moment. On the 'We_tside' of Cascades we can get to sun in an hour east, or hop a $39 flight to Sacramento. El Paso is not so cheap, and no direct flights via SWA. LC is so nice and close to El Paso's great airport that it makes a pretty quick trip from PNW. As family we do it about 4x / yr. (for eldercare assistance and to 'keep peace') My sis was in LC until mom (retired) moved there from CO. It took sis about 2 months to find a reason to move 2000 miles away from LC. (Thus another discussion you should have BEFORE moving too close to Family ) 2,000 miles is decent, but 13,000 miles can be better (1/2 way around the world, that worked nice when we were in Singapore)

While it is 56F and raining today in PNW (still spring . The views of changing clouds and glimpses of blue sky have been gorgeous this morning. I envy you in AK for long summer days, I can currently work outside between 5am and 10 pm. That is a good day's work, I come in at 10 pm and eat a little something for supper, then have a decent breakfast mid morning.

Old 06-15-2011, 04:24 PM

14,016 posts, read 20,907,290 times
Default Summer weather in Las Cruces

I've spent some time in Las Cruces at various times of the year over the years. Yes, it gets hot, but because of the elevation (almost 4,000 feet) the heat is not real extreme, and in any case it's mostly dry heat which is realtively bearable. Climate-wise, Las Cruces is pretty nice - four seasons, some occasional snow in winter but not very often, lots of sun. All in all, hard to complain about.

Old 06-15-2011, 05:19 PM

438 posts, read 1,115,350 times
When my mother lived there for several years, I visited her at various times and never felt uncomfortably hot.

Old 06-16-2011, 09:45 AM

1,920 posts, read 4,320,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by staywarm2 View Post
I certainly understand the points of those posted here. But even if you move to a warmer climate, it doesn't necessarily mean people will be friendlier and make friends with you easily. We moved to the suburbs of a large southern city 8 yrs. ago to be closer to DD and grandkids. We have been happy to spend time with them and see the grandkids grow up. HOWEVER, making friends who are closer than mere acquaintainces is extremely difficult. People who are raised here already have a circle of friends and sometimes many relatives. Others are transients/transferees who have a vastly different outlook on life than we do. Some from the north maintain that northern "reserve" they have always had. Try to get past that!!

We keep trying new things and hope eventually that we'll find a few really good friends to replace those we left behind.

this is a big key to moving to a new place:

1. make sure that the people in the new place have political views like you

2. Make sure that the people in the new place have places of religion like you

3. Make sure that there are enough people in the new place that are as educated(college, grad school, technical school) or as NOT educated(grade school, high school) as you.

4. Make sure that the things you like to listen to on the radio are what you like.

5. Make sure that there are enough retired people in the new place

6. Make sure that there are enough retired people who moved there from somewhere else

7. Make sure that there are things that you like to do to volunteer at in the new place.

8. Make sure that the new place has stuff to do that families and people younger than you will like to do.

If you don't pay attention to these issues, you won't like what happens. My parents bought a house at age 58 that was in my mother's family in a quaint little northern Lancaster County, PA town with a stream running through the town and a park there. It is a lovely town. They didn't check on any of the above 8 items. they found people who were very very different than them, and learned to live a kind of hermit existance since few visited, and few there wanted to interact with them, no matter how many clubs they joined.

Old 06-16-2011, 10:40 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,712 posts, read 58,054,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northanna_2001 View Post
We are seriously looking at Prescott, AZ now. I have alot of research to do but we like that it's a small town and the climate is superb as well as being surrounded by mountains. ...
Prescott is a very good choice, we had some guest home visitors who explained their process in selecting Prescott. They have been really happy there for over 15 yrs. They were able to get 'house-sitting gigs' in several desired retirement locations, and they felt Prescott met their needs (ex college prof / educator type). They travel extensively and don't mind driving to Phoenix for flights. They have engaged in several volunteer / community service agencies and enjoy the residents.

It has grown extensively and prices reflect it's appeal. BUT... it is sure to be suffering some of the current AZ RE downturn, so I would get busy if you plan on buying a joint there. It is likely possible to buy and have a positive cash flow by renting. I am now of the inkling that buying your retirement home FIRST makes more sense than sitting in your primary residence from work / child raising yrs, WISHING you could pull the plug and move.

Old 06-16-2011, 11:20 AM

2,841 posts, read 3,198,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarathu View Post
this is a big key to moving to a new place:

1. make sure that the people in the new place have political views like you

2. Make sure that the people in the new place have places of religion like you

3. Make sure that there are enough people in the new place that are as educated(college, grad school, technical school) or as NOT educated(grade school, high school) as you.

4. Make sure that the things you like to listen to on the radio are what you like.

5. Make sure that there are enough retired people in the new place

6. Make sure that there are enough retired people who moved there from somewhere else

7. Make sure that there are things that you like to do to volunteer at in the new place.

8. Make sure that the new place has stuff to do that families and people younger than you will like to do.
Good points. To this I would add to make sure that what you like to do, hobbies, etc. will be available in the new place. Alternatively, be prepared to teach a free class to get others interested in them. This would also be a good way to meet people, young and old, in the new place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement