Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2011, 07:14 PM

31,683 posts, read 41,024,360 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
Puerto Rico is a territory of the United States. I wonder if it would be possible for Congress to pass a law that simply makes residents of US territories (other than states) ineligible for SSDI, or create a tougher, harder program for residents of territories to claim benefits.
Would they also not be required to contribute to SS or Medicare?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2011, 07:24 PM

5,326 posts, read 6,012,751 times
Quote:
Puerto Rico is a territory of the United States. I wonder if it would be possible for Congress to pass a law that simply makes residents of US territories (other than states) ineligible for SSDI, or create a tougher, harder program for residents of territories to claim benefits.
Ok, so I was stunned that someone would suggest that we deny PR residents access to SSDI. I thought that PR residents, as US Citizens, were protected by the US Constitution i.e., equal protection. After doing a quick search, it appears that PR residents, while US Citizens, are not protected by the equal protection clause of the US Constitution. WTF? Anyway, Congress giveth and Congress can apparently take away. In addition, this could apply to the District of Columbia. Of course, PR residents and D.C. residents pay into SS and Medicare, so this could get a little messy.

Last edited by lenora; 06-16-2011 at 07:48 PM.. Reason: Initial response appears to be wrong..shocking, but true.

Old 06-16-2011, 08:54 PM

6,326 posts, read 6,585,426 times
Putting faith in retirement savings? Wall Street guys will take care of ya, that's for sure. We have no control (or even knowledge) of the things affecting our jobs, incomes, investments, etc., etc., etc.. We totally are on the mercy of those unknowns we don't even know that we don't know, not speaking of having control over. It would really suck arse to hit old unemployable age just to see stock market tanking, inflation, 0.25% interest rate on your savings, etc., etc., etc.

Just think about it, apply simple compound interest formula on let's say $100 for let's say 30 years at 5% interest. $100*(1+0.03)^30=$432. Compounding investments require 4 fold economic growth in 30 years for everyone who invested $100 to get his/her $432 after 30 years. This kind of economic growth is out of this world (especially in the age of resource shortages & environmental problems). The financial house of cards doesn't collapse only and only because there are many more losers than there are winners in the investments games. Built in inflation "helps" to decrease the number of losers (at a price of dollar debasing) but losers are a must for the system to run. Thus, relying on Wall Street to take care of old geezers AUTOMATICALLY demands that significant % of wage slaving "investors" will be those losers whose loses will be applied towards dividends of the "winners". That's a mighty smart way to build national retirement around. It guarantees 100% that significant % of old geezers will be panhandling, living on the streets and dumpster diving, and it could be YOU precious.

Corporate America destroyed livable communities (in the true meaning of the word), subsistence opportunities, extended family & community support networks (things that care of the old in more "backward" cultures). Now it wants Social Security with that and it will get it sooner or later.

Old 06-16-2011, 10:21 PM

14,400 posts, read 14,286,698 times
Quote:
Ok, so I was stunned that someone would suggest that we deny PR residents access to SSDI. I thought that PR residents, as US Citizens, were protected by the US Constitution i.e., equal protection. After doing a quick search, it appears that PR residents, while US Citizens, are not protected by the equal protection clause of the US Constitution. WTF? Anyway, Congress giveth and Congress can apparently take away. In addition, this could apply to the District of Columbia. Of course, PR residents and D.C. residents pay into SS and Medicare, so this could get a little messy.
You beat me to the punch. I won't quote the Supreme Court cases I found.

I was being a tad flippant. I'm not sure I'm willing to recommend this as a solution yet. However, if there truly are widespread abuses of this program going on in Puerto Rico its time to think outside the box.

Old 06-17-2011, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RememberMee View Post
Putting faith in retirement savings? Wall Street guys will take care of ya, that's for sure. We have no control (or even knowledge) of the things affecting our jobs, incomes, investments, etc., etc., etc.. We totally are on the mercy of those unknowns we don't even know that we don't know, not speaking of having control over. It would really suck arse to hit old unemployable age just to see stock market tanking, inflation, 0.25% interest rate on your savings, etc., etc., etc.

Just think about it, apply simple compound interest formula on let's say $100 for let's say 30 years at 5% interest. $100*(1+0.03)^30=$432. Compounding investments require 4 fold economic growth in 30 years for everyone who invested $100 to get his/her $432 after 30 years. This kind of economic growth is out of this world (especially in the age of resource shortages & environmental problems). The financial house of cards doesn't collapse only and only because there are many more losers than there are winners in the investments games. Built in inflation "helps" to decrease the number of losers (at a price of dollar debasing) but losers are a must for the system to run. Thus, relying on Wall Street to take care of old geezers AUTOMATICALLY demands that significant % of wage slaving "investors" will be those losers whose loses will be applied towards dividends of the "winners". That's a mighty smart way to build national retirement around. It guarantees 100% that significant % of old geezers will be panhandling, living on the streets and dumpster diving, and it could be YOU precious.

Corporate America destroyed livable communities (in the true meaning of the word), subsistence opportunities, extended family & community support networks (things that care of the old in more "backward" cultures). Now it wants Social Security with that and it will get it sooner or later.
I may be missing something but I thought corporate America provided millions of jobs and benefits and still does?

Old 06-17-2011, 12:24 PM

Quote:
You beat me to the punch. I won't quote the Supreme Court cases I found.

I was being a tad flippant. I'm not sure I'm willing to recommend this as a solution yet. However, if there truly are widespread abuses of this program going on in Puerto Rico its time to think outside the box.
Abuse and fraud is a major problem for entitlement programs

Old 06-17-2011, 04:12 PM

14,617 posts, read 21,479,126 times
Quote:
I'm sure it would be possible. All of these programs are creatures of statutes. Robyn

Old 06-17-2011, 04:15 PM

14,617 posts, read 21,479,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
I would assume so. The problem is that an average person in Puerto Rico with SSDI and Medicare makes more than most people working for a living in PR. Big incentive to "go on the dole". Robyn

Old 06-17-2011, 04:35 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,963,273 times
Quote:
A lot of Boomer problems could be eased by relocating to less expensive areas. It will be a challenge buy for many who worked in high cost areas a move would do wonders. But that is another thread.
Can you suggest some places that are somewhat desirable and not disaster-prone (hurricane, tornado, flooding, fires, fracking, superfund site, etc) and really practical for seniors (not rural, too suburban, or not riddled with crime)?

Old 06-17-2011, 04:38 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,963,273 times
Quote:
It would be rather an outrage if they didn't....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement