Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should retirees be told the truth?
Yes, retirees should be allowed to make informed elections knowing full facts. 17 89.47%
Maybe, sometimes retirees should be kept in dark as they are incapable of understanding. 0 0%
No, if the common good is served better by manipulation then they should not know. 0 0%
No, retirees need to have us decide their futures for them. 2 10.53%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2011, 08:24 PM

5,277 posts, read 2,799,172 times

Advertisements

I'm finding an interesting side effect of telling the truth. A lot of people are telling me to keep quiet. I'm beginning to wonder.

Is it illegal to tell retirees the truth?

Let me explain the history:

I live on the East side of an island. The West side is different and people on each side claim their side is better. I figured since the property values were down, it would be good to dispel the misconceptions about my side.

My first post listed some history of settlement, corrected inaccurate statements, and listed some positives. I took care not to insult the other side and even said they had somethings better.

I looked at what was making the cost of living high. I concluded it was an Island wide issue since everyone cares about that.

I addressed hurricane insurance that had suddenly became more expensive. Not totally unreasonable, however, just expensive enough that I thought some retirees may use that as a reasons to retire somewhere different.

I concluded for most residents in the whole State that it was largely a complete waste of money Further it was the Federal government insisting it be purchased with no evidence..in fact I found evidence showing most of the State is not prone and not susceptible.

So I published my first blog.

http://www.city-data.com/blogs/blog2...insurance.html

The Federal government appears to want to force retirees to pay for these special policies. It subsidizes retirees that select the high risk hurricane-prone and susceptible areas like Florida.

The reaction I am getting is to keep quiet. People tell me to not inform anyone the truth, and that we should continue to steer retirees using the misinformation.

What would you do in this situation?

Philip Maise
Pahoa Hawaii
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2011, 08:44 PM

25,581 posts, read 56,466,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbmaise View Post
The reaction I am getting is to keep quiet. People tell me to not inform anyone the truth, and that we should continue to steer retirees using the misinformation.

What would you do in this situation?

Philip Maise
Pahoa Hawaii
Who is "we"? Are you selling real estate or insurance to retirees?

Not sure I get the point of your concern. Sounds like you are selling something and don't feel right about it.

One thing I definitely would not do on a public forum - especially if this involves your employment - is to give your correct name and location.

Old 06-13-2011, 08:48 PM

5,277 posts, read 2,799,172 times
Aloha,
I'm not selling real estate or insurance. My home is not for sale, and if anything I'm trying to stop the government from forcing people to buy a special policy to cover something that should be covered in the base policy. That is less insurance not more.

The reason I know the hurricane insurance issue well is I have to buy it, and I worked for a firm that forced people to buy it.

I retired 2.5 years ago. If you google my name, one company I used to work for still has a web page up, however, that firm closed shop so it may appear I work there, however, I don't.

I sign my name and town as I think it is proper. Isn't that what you do in an editorial published in a newspaper? Pictures are of me and, admittedly, I like to showoff the boat I purchased after retiring.

Anything else? I'm an open book.

Philip Maise
Pahoa Hawaii

Last edited by pbmaise; 06-13-2011 at 09:31 PM..

Old 06-13-2011, 09:31 PM

492 posts, read 1,397,534 times
The Federal government appears to want to force retirees to pay for these special policies. It subsidizes retirees that select the high risk hurricane-prone and susceptible areas like Florida.

Philip, I'm a retiree in Palm Beach Florida, will you point me to the government program that "subsidizes" us here. I'm paying over $2760 for Hurricane coverage, 6 years ago it was less than a thousand. This is on a Tax assessed house of $142,000.
Larry

Old 06-13-2011, 09:32 PM

14,016 posts, read 20,901,743 times
From whom, exactly, are you getting the reaction that you should "keep quiet"? I didn't vote in the poll because the obvious "correct" answer is yes, retirees should have full access to accurate information, but the other answers seem so weird that I'm just trying to understand your situation.

Old 06-13-2011, 10:20 PM

8,091 posts, read 15,432,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbmaise View Post

I sign my name and town as I think it is proper. Isn't that what you do in an editorial published in a newspaper?
Number 1, this isn't a newspaper.
Number 2, read the Tos. "Do not include "manual" signatures in your posts. You can put a lot of information in your profile instead."

Number 3, (Most) Retirees aren't stupid. Maybe they don't want to hear what you consider the truth?

I would think this was local politics and belonged on the Hawaii Forum or P&C.

Old 06-14-2011, 08:36 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,838,702 times
Bascially all the governamnt promotes is flood insurnace and its done everywhere really.I think people are smart enough to decide for themselves what protection they want.

Old 06-14-2011, 05:17 PM

14,617 posts, read 21,483,492 times
As someone who went through Hurricane Andrew in Miami - and then visited Kauai post-Iniki about 8 months later - I think anyone who lives in Hawaii who thinks he or she isn't subject to windstorm/flood risks from hurricanes/typhoons (can't remember what you call them there) is seriously delusional. Also - we in Florida are only #2 in terms of termite problems in the US. Hawaii is #1 .

FWIW - I think the "Big Island" is very beautiful - and a great place to visit (we spent 3 weeks that trip exploring most of the islands in Hawaii). Robyn

Last edited by Robyn55; 06-14-2011 at 05:28 PM..

Old 06-14-2011, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lcole07 View Post

Philip, I'm a retiree in Palm Beach Florida, will you point me to the government program that "subsidizes" us here. I'm paying over $2760 for Hurricane coverage, 6 years ago it was less than a thousand. This is on a Tax assessed house of $142,000.
Larry
Are you talking about your windstorm coverage - or your federal flood insurance coverage - or both? There is no such thing as "hurricane coverage" (your homeowners' policy will cover windstorm damage - your federal flood insurance policy will cover flood damage).

And for those of you who are reading this and thinking - well I don't live in Florida - or Hawaii - so none of this concerns me - I seem to recall that the majority of flood damage in the US occurs inland as a result of river flooding - not as a result of hurricanes. So always check out a new area you may retire to for flooding problems and the possible need to buy flood insurance. Robyn

Old 06-14-2011, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lcole07 View Post

Larry
Note that if you're with Citizens for windstorm - just about everyone in Florida who has any kind of insurance policy is subsidizing you (through policy surcharges). If you're talking about federal flood insurance - all the taxpayers in the US are subsidizing you. Robyn
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement