U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2011, 09:48 AM

6,492 posts, read 14,915,703 times

Advertisements

If you are fully retired/not working, do you go to bed late at night? Do you go to sleep easily or sometimes have a hard time getting to sleep? Do you "sleep in" a lot or just when there's nothing pressing to do in the AM? How well do you sleep? How many hours of sleep do you need at your age? If you are fully retired/not working, do you take a nap in the afternoon for an hour or so sometimes or on a regular basis?
My wife still works, so "sleeping in" doesn't happen during the week! On the weekends, I'll let her "sleep in" if we aren't doing anything......like going out for breakfast, going to some event or taking the boat out. As for me, I get up every morning during the week the same time she does, but sometimes a little earlier. On the weekends, I'm generally up no later than 7AM. I can be an "early bird" due to being farm-raised and from being in the Navy.
My brother, who is in his mid 60's, tells me that all him and his wife need is 5 hours of sleep. They don't get to bed til somewhere between midnight and 2AM. Both of them are fully retired though.
I also read/heard that people in our age bracket (60 plus) shouldn't drink or eat anything after a certain hour of the evening. If I have a couple of "cold ones" for supper, I dang sure will be up a couple of times during the night to potty. Wife is the same way.
So, how much sleep are we as Seniors (ok, "60 plus folks".....some people don't like the word "Seniors") suppose to get?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2011, 10:28 AM

13,791 posts, read 17,018,414 times
Now that I'm retired I go to sleep whenever I darned well please. Sometimes I'm not tired so I stay up all night and go to bed at 6:00 AM. I dont feel the necessity to live by a clock any longer. In fact, one of my greatest pleasures is knowing that I dont have to go to bed when I'm not tired just so I can wake up early in the morning to go to work.

Edited to add that I let my body dictate how much sleep I get. If I wake up after eight hours and am still sleepy, i stay in bed and nap. Five hours is usually all I need now, though. The stress of working sapped a lot of my energy and I think that's why I needed more sleep before I retired.

Old 06-15-2011, 10:44 AM

2,421 posts, read 3,263,180 times
Currently I stay up late. Usually 12 to 1 AM, and then get up late (around 9 or 10 AM. But I never sleep through the night. I always wake up at least once to go to the bathroom, then can't go back to sleep, so I reset my current audio book I'm listening to for 90 minutes, and listen that that in order to get back to sleep. (usually about an hour)

Would like getting up earlier in the day, so I have recently been trying to go to bed earlier, but old habits are hard to break.

Old 06-15-2011, 10:59 AM

4,617 posts, read 7,772,550 times
Smile Good question - one I was going to ask

For years during the week, we work late, very late, like 1 or 2 AM. Then sleep for 5-5 1/2 hours, back to work. I hit the pillow and I'm out - sometimes, I wonder how long I would sleep if my husband (and dogs) didn't wake me up.

I have been noticing that on the weekends I don't sleep as well. This is bothering me - like I'm almost afraid to go to sleep b/c of the poor sleep.

I think during the week I'm under great stress/adrenalin and then on the weekends don't feel the same pressure or something. I'm one of those people who likes a lot to do; I'm scared of being bored or not having enough to do. I'm just one of those people who is used to and works better under pressure/deadline. (I guess it's a challenge in itself).

You on this forum have been great in helping me on some of this BTW.

Not 60 yet but ... and I do wish "senior" went away.

Old 06-15-2011, 11:05 AM

4,617 posts, read 7,772,550 times
Smile More on sleep habits

When I grew up, we were a productive family. All up at 6:30 AM no matter what day it was. My dad used to come in and wake us up if we weren't already up. Then, breakfast as family, all of us.

I never saw my parents ever take a nap during the day ever. Never really saw them sick either. I think they viewed both as a negative.

My husband's parents on the other hand took a nap on Sunday afternoons. This was even when they were younger. My husband doesn't see anything wrong with this and if he takes a little snoozer on Sundays, I find myself feeling embarrassed that he is doing this (like if anyone calls or comes over) - I usually just say he's not feeling well.

The only day my husband likes to sleep late is on Saturday and I love to be up and out. The weather is usually so nice I feel guilty being inside. But then again, I don't tell anyone (except y'all) that he is asleep.

Lately, I'm trying to get him up and out by saying I want to go to a certain brunch on Saturdays. Helps a little.

It's funny how we bring our childhood habits in our marriages and later life. I'm like - how can you sleep during the day and he is like - why not?

Old 06-15-2011, 11:54 AM

23,574 posts, read 28,298,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBoating View Post
So, how much sleep are we as Seniors (ok, "60 plus folks".....some people don't like the word "Seniors") suppose to get?
It depends on the individual "geezer" - my preferred term, although sometimes I use "old fart!"

I'll be 65 in less than two months and have been retired for 2.5 years. I can get by just fine on 5.5-6.5 hours of sleep a night. However, I prefer not to and I have so many projects around the home and yard going that I rarely, if ever, want or feel the need for a nap.

I'm usually in bed by 9:30 or 10:00 and up by 5:30-6:30. That's not much different than my schedule when I worked but is infinitely more pleasurable now that my time is all mine! I have two cups of coffee, a light but healthy breakfast and by 7:00-8:00 am off for a brisk walk while it's cool. Then it's time for yard work and other outdoor projects.

Since weekends are meaningless we make no special plans for them, preferring to do our shopping, sightseeing, day trips, boating, etc. during the week when others aren't. Weekends are for light work around the house and reading or some other restful activity.

By the way, we LOVE being retired!

Old 06-15-2011, 01:18 PM

433 posts, read 905,151 times
I go to bed between 9:30 and ten and get up between 5:30 and 6, the same as when I was working, except now I don't bother to set an alarm. I love being able to drink coffee as long as I want in the morning without having to get ready for work. I never nap.

Old 06-15-2011, 01:45 PM

6,492 posts, read 14,915,703 times
I remember, when living in Denver, CO metro, during the summer months, I'd get up around 6AM, hook up our Bowrider (boat) to the vehicle, pull the boat out of the garage and park it along the sidewalk in front of our house. Then, load the vehicle up with fishing stuff. Generally, my wife never woke up while I was doing it. I'd go upstairs to our bedroom, she'd hear me and wake up, look at me and say "are we going fishing this morning?" and I'd say "everything's ready to go!",,,,,,,,boy was she surprised!
I also remember a few times that I'd be a real "terd" and wake her up by going downstairs, quietly opening the front door and pushing the door bell outside a few times. She would yell for me to answer the door, but I'd keep quiet so she'd have to come downstairs to answer the door........and she'd see me standing by the door smiling at her. We'd both crack up laughing! She never got mad cause she knew that she had to get up anyway.
Depending on the weather outside, how we feel from the night before (partying and/or watching a DVD movie), we might end up taking a nap in the afternoon. I remember different trips to Las Vegas, sometimes we'd go to our room at 2PM for a couple hours of naptime. However, that morning we were up and eating breakfast at a Buffet at 8AM!
I know there are times that my wife can't wait until she retires fully and can sleep in on some mornings. Sometimes she doesn't get real good sleep until 5AM, but then has to get up at 7AM for work......now that's difficult!

Old 06-15-2011, 07:12 PM

1,506 posts, read 2,022,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texasfirewheel View Post
Now that I'm retired I go to sleep whenever I darned well please. Sometimes I'm not tired so I stay up all night and go to bed at 6:00 AM. I dont feel the necessity to live by a clock any longer. In fact, one of my greatest pleasures is knowing that I dont have to go to bed when I'm not tired just so I can wake up early in the morning to go to work.

Edited to add that I let my body dictate how much sleep I get. If I wake up after eight hours and am still sleepy, i stay in bed and nap. Five hours is usually all I need now, though. The stress of working sapped a lot of my energy and I think that's why I needed more sleep before I retired.

Same here. I've mostly worked jobs with very strange hours so day/night is meaningless to me. Living out away from town, I can weed the garden in the middle of the night using flood lights and it is alot cooler then.

Old 06-16-2011, 07:51 AM

7,394 posts, read 7,705,011 times
Ah, one of the many perks of retirement: setting my own schedule!

I go to sleep when I feel like it, albeit not much later than I did as a worker-bee; and love getting up around 6 a.m., taking my time getting around and have a big grin on my face as I see my neighbors heading off for work.

Quality of sleep has improved significantly as well!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement