U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2011, 02:58 PM

769 posts, read 1,097,346 times

Advertisements

Let's say a person is laid off but has enough time in to officially retire for the sake of having medical coverage. Can they still get an unemployment check especially if their retirement income is lower than what unemployment pays?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2011, 03:13 PM

14,440 posts, read 17,381,414 times
Probably not. You could if forced to retire, but it sounds like you took voluntary retirement as an alternative to being laid off. Voluntary being the key word that keeps you from getting unemployment. That said, you might apply anyway and appeal if denied, if you have written documentation that you would have been laid off.

Old 06-18-2011, 03:46 PM

11,162 posts, read 18,539,692 times
depends on how you are taking your payments ... age, qrts of credit, situation at previous employer ...

I got 24 months of unemployment + free college due to being 'voluntarily' severed (pre-retirement age by 6 weeks) My coworker who were 'retirement age' go the same 24 months of UI + free college.

Talk to a few knowledgeable folks at your state unemployment office (it usually takes several to find a good one who actually knows how to make your situation work out.... Gov employees...)

Old 06-18-2011, 03:48 PM

7,062 posts, read 6,943,048 times
If you retired for good, no. You have to be available, ready, willing, able, and actively seeking full time employment in most, if not all, states.

Are you officially laid off, or officially retired? You need to talk to your local unemployment office. All states seem to have different rules as to what income is allowable. And I believe ex-military have another set of rules.

Old 06-18-2011, 04:24 PM

827 posts, read 984,440 times
In NY in order to collect unemployment you also have to be ready willing able to work that goes for everyone

Old 06-18-2011, 04:39 PM

19,972 posts, read 16,085,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalara View Post
If you retired for good, no. You have to be available, ready, willing, able, and actively seeking full time employment in most, if not all, states.

Are you officially laid off, or officially retired?

Not sure how you can be forced into retirement,you can only get terminated from your job
If you got laid off you are entitled to unemployment benefits,
i doubt some one would say they are retired instead of being laid off and forfeit a years unemployment insurance.

Old 06-18-2011, 10:10 PM

14,157 posts, read 18,601,021 times
My employer 'retired' me and told me they would not contest my application for unemployment benefits. On their books I am considered retired and, for a fee, eligible to participate in retiree health insurance plan. I don't because it doesn't seem to pay for very much - has a Medicare carveout for everything, it seems. Went to a Medicare Advantage plan at no cost, instead.

WI state unemployment regs require that my weekly unemployment benefit be reduced by my employer-funded retirement benefit. I still get the same number of unemployment dollars, just extended over a longer period.

In my state one can collect SS retirement benefits without any comparable deduction in unemployment benefit. There might be three states where this is not the case.

OP should be able to collect unemployment.

Old 06-19-2011, 07:42 AM

21,790 posts, read 28,218,684 times
My employer forced me to retire due to my old age. 'High-year-tenure' they call it.

I collected unemployment, I got it for one month, before my pension kicked in. Once my pension had started, I was no longer eligible for unemployment.

Old 06-19-2011, 08:16 AM

40 posts, read 66,443 times
Varies from state to state, however in the state of Maryland, I was denied benefits because I receive a retirement pension. Yet, I know several folks who were forced to retire due to restructuring (downsizing) and are receiving unemployment benefits. My recommendation is to apply for unemployment benefits and let the experts decide if you are eligible for benefits or not.

Old 06-19-2011, 11:04 AM

129 posts, read 145,012 times
after 32 yrs of service I was downsized out. Company had a State dept of Labor guy come in to give a speech about our "rights". A co worker raised his hand and asked the DOL guy if we were eligible to collect UIC if we received retirement pay . DOL guy says no.........99% of the workers affected got up and stormed out of the room in a hissy fit.

only a few of us remained seated, as soon as the door shut behind them the DOL guy says "They didnt let me finish" and proceeded to hand out the UIC forms and give us the buzz words to put on the form so it would be accepted w/o delay.

he told us that we may or may not be eligible but there was no harm in trying and to have our forms filled out...that there was nothing to lose . My management had told me I would never be able to collect.

So I retired, started collecting my pension .... never heard anything from state UIC for 3 months. One day I went out to the mailbox and had 7 checks waiting for me and i collected UIC for 9 months total ( including one extension) , this was in 2003.
There was a small deduction from my UIC check since i was collecting my pension, i forget how they factored that.

I ended up w/ a check for approx $500 evry 2 wks for 9 months. had to play the bi weekly game of "looking for work" but was never really hassled. For those 9 months i ended up making as much or more than when i was actually working.

as for the guys that turned their backs and walked out of the room on the DOL guy......yep, i am still laughing at their stupidity.

so the upshot of this story is go fill out your UIC paperwork, hopefully you will get it, no harm in trying !! all the best !!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement