U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2008, 10:12 PM

42,663 posts, read 74,221,895 times

Advertisements

Colombia is NOT too dangerous any more, and it is an absolutely lovely country. Check it out. South Africa and Kenya ARE too dangerous. I've been in all the countries you named except Philippines. From your list, my preferences would be Malaysia, Brazil and Chile. I lived in Chile for a year. In all those countries, it can be hard to find housing---they don't have a lot of vacancies like we do. I've been thinking about Philippines myself, which is a very cheap country to live in, aned nearly everyone speaks English. A lot of Englishis spoken in Asia, too. Have you considered Tunisia? Madagascar is a very beautiful country, but immigration hassles and red tape can wear you down.

Last edited by jtur88; 12-16-2008 at 10:22 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2008, 09:25 PM

15 posts, read 48,721 times
I'm pleased you put Malaysia on your list of preferred countries.
I've just discovered last week, that there are appartments for sale on the waterfront, in a huge international resort, for around RM100,000, some even half that price.
Convert at RM3.5 = US$1
They have a penthouse going for around US$45,000.
So who needs a million US$ to retire? You've got to be joking.
When i was in Australia, there were government pensioners eating tins of dog food for their meals coz they couldn't afford to eat proper food.
All they had to do was open their minds.
Pensioners i've spoken to in England, say "oh but i couldn't leave my family". So they'd rather live in abject poverty and remain a drag on their kids.
Sheeeez.
greg

Old 12-20-2008, 11:34 AM

17,032 posts, read 26,863,598 times
I've heard people talk about Panama, because it was the closest to American culture in Central America. The US had a presence there until the last decade. Not sure where to look though.

Old 12-23-2008, 12:54 PM

177 posts, read 469,991 times
Default I live in Prague

I am 63 and have lived in Prague for 2 years.

It's not cheap but compared to other countries in Europe it is reasonable. My fear is that the cost of living will go out of sight when the Czech Republic goes on the Euro in 2012. But, I'll worry about that when the time comes.

I teach English and make enough to live on. I am within the Social Security guidelines and can (most months) bank that income.

Do you have any chance of getting a European passport? Do you have a parent or grandparent from a Euro country? If not, you can still get a visa in most places, some require a hefty income though.

A place that is reasonable and one of my favorite cities in Europe is Berlin. I didn't think it would be to my liking at all but I found people quite nice and real estate is still reasonable, great public transport.

let me know where you land.,

Old 08-18-2009, 01:31 PM

23 posts, read 40,652 times
Default ruling out the EU

Quote:
Originally Posted by nancy thereader View Post
Why would you rule out Europe, I wonder. I would think that Portugal and Spain would be perfect places to live (such a lovely way of life, they have) & warmer and far less expensive than France or Great Britain .
I think lots of Americans rule out the EU because it seems hard to get permission to live there and with the dollar against the Euro now it seems even More expensive than the States...

Old 08-18-2009, 02:01 PM

296 posts, read 730,145 times
Consider Cuba - if I fancied an island in the sun I would not rule this country out.

If I spoke French (and did not have a child in the US I wanted to live near) I would seriously look into living in a little village in the south of France.

Old 08-18-2009, 04:52 PM

12,677 posts, read 14,063,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainannie View Post
I think lots of Americans rule out the EU because it seems hard to get permission to live there and with the dollar against the Euro now it seems even More expensive than the States...
I emigrated to Portugal ten years ago to retire, and the requirements were not difficult...the bureaucracy is daunting, but it has gotten much better. Many countries are quite happy to have retirees from other places - after all, you deprive no one of a job and you spend money, and presuming you are a senior, you are unlikely to raise a litter of kids and make all sorts of demands for social services.

The problem is health coverage. You must have some in order to become a resident, and, of course, that means buying a private policy. You may still use the public system, but for you it will be pay as you go, or you can use private providers. In either case, you apply to your insurer for reimbursement...but if you use the national health care hospitals you will only be charged their rather low rate. I spent a week in two hospitals and had three stents put in my heart, and after being reimbursed by my private insurer I had only paid $1,400 out of my own pocket.

I have had a number of hospitalizations during my years living in the U.S. I never paid that little out-of-pocket, not ever, not even waaaaaaay back in the 70's!

After establishing official residency you may be able to buy your way into the national health care system. But, of course, you may well not like the level of service, i.e. waiting for appointments, etc.

However, if you want the company of other Americans, and there is nothing wrong in that - you would have to stick to the Lisbon area. I live in a very cosmopolitan town of 30,000 people and there are many foreigners here, but the one other American left years ago. But any urban American should be able to get along with an English-speaking German.

Old 08-19-2009, 11:10 PM

11,456 posts, read 12,721,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Colombia is NOT too dangerous any more, and it is an absolutely lovely country. Check it out. South Africa and Kenya ARE too dangerous. I've been in all the countries you named except Philippines. From your list, my preferences would be Malaysia, Brazil and Chile. I lived in Chile for a year. In all those countries, it can be hard to find housing---they don't have a lot of vacancies like we do. I've been thinking about Philippines myself, which is a very cheap country to live in, aned nearly everyone speaks English. A lot of Englishis spoken in Asia, too. Have you considered Tunisia? Madagascar is a very beautiful country, but immigration hassles and red tape can wear you down.
What is Thailand like?

Old 08-19-2009, 11:26 PM

16,133 posts, read 20,814,828 times
Large American Community at Lake Chapala Mexico, apparently they have all of the amenities needed for an American to live comfortably

Old 08-21-2009, 11:11 AM

167 posts, read 419,220 times
We have been to Ajijic/Lake Chapala twice to check it out. Only suggestion is, rent do not buy. Houses are way over priced compared to rental houses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or