U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2019, 08:35 PM

2,380 posts, read 7,765,786 times

Advertisements

You can get a digital private mailbox from many different mail forwarding companies. I use one in Texas, and they will periodically forward mail or packages to you with many options available for shipping. I pay about $150 per year plus postage fees. I put my digital mailbox address on the private pension, bank account and investment accounts, and can also obtain a TX driver's license using the digital mailbox address. Then I can move whenever or wherever I want and not have to keep changing addresses. I can also use the digital mailbox address on tax forms.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2019, 05:19 AM

12,703 posts, read 14,085,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post
US banks and investment companies require a US address. Driver's license for visits to USA. Insurance based in USA, IRS stuff, professional correspondence, etc. lots of reasons.

It's not complicated at all.
Chase Bank doesn't require a U.S. address, nor does the IRS, nor does my TIAA/CREF pension plan.

Health and hospitalization insurance was more affordable and more dependable from a Brit company than a U.S. one at the time I emigrated. So, I did not opt for any of the U.S. policies.

As for a driver's license from a U.S. state, I'm in no worse position than the thousands of foreign tourists who visit the U.S. every year. But the bottom line is that I only returned once in twenty years and have no intention of making another trip to the U.S. between now and death.

In my experience you and Garry Harris have it wrong. A U.S. address is not a requirement when you live abroad.

Old 02-07-2019, 08:00 AM

5,954 posts, read 2,895,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevxu View Post
Chase Bank doesn't require a U.S. address, nor does the IRS, nor does my TIAA/CREF pension plan.
Vanguard, Schwab, Fidleity, T Rowe Price, etc. require a US address.

Quote:
Health and hospitalization insurance was more affordable and more dependable from a Brit company than a U.S. one at the time I emigrated. So, I did not opt for any of the U.S. policies.
Your needs and the services you found available for health, life, liability/umbrella, travel insurance, etc. aren't the same as everyone else.

Quote:
As for a driver's license from a U.S. state, I'm in no worse position than the thousands of foreign tourists who visit the U.S. every year. But the bottom line is that I only returned once in twenty years and have no intention of making another trip to the U.S. between now and death.
Again, your needs aren't the same as everyone else. We go back to USA every year to visit family, and being USA residents need to have a USA driver's license to drive. We have a library card that we use to check out books on our Kindle, we need a physical address for that library.

Quote:
In my experience you and Garry Harris have it wrong. A U.S. address is not a requirement when you live abroad.
We're wrong to you because you can't fathom that everyone doesn't have the exact same life as you.

Old 02-08-2019, 01:32 PM

12,703 posts, read 14,085,285 times
Quote:
....We're wrong to you because you can't fathom that everyone doesn't have the exact same life as you.
What clearly hasn't occurred to you is that the same applies to you, and the information that you put out is based on your personal situation.

But you put these things out as absolutes, and they are not.

Old 02-08-2019, 03:54 PM

9 posts, read 3,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alpineprince View Post
Lived abroad for 15 years now and no US address. SS knows where to find me and sends my check monthly along with a check each for my two little guys. Gotta love the USA!
How do you NOT have a home state?

Thirteen states tax SS benefits: Colorado, Connecticut, Kansas, Minnesota, Missouri, Montana, Nebraska, New Mexico, North Dakota, Rhode Island, Utah, Vermont and West Virginia. 37 states don't.

Seven states do not impose an income tax: Alaska, Florida, Nevada, South Dakota, Texas, Washington, and Wyoming.

Twelve states exempt pension income: Alaska, Florida, Illinois, Mississippi, Nevada, New Hampshire, Pennsylvania, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Washington, and Wyoming.

I Florida Drivers License is renewed every 8 years.
An international Drivers License (IDL)is almost unnecessary. You still must have your regular driver's license for the IDL to be valid. Some countries do require the IDL; there are interpretations on it.

So far, Florida seems like the best option.

Last edited by GarryHarris; 02-08-2019 at 04:07 PM..

Old 02-08-2019, 04:38 PM

5,954 posts, read 2,895,036 times
Quote:
What clearly hasn't occurred to you is that the same applies to you, and the information that you put out is based on your personal situation.
This is false.

You said you couldn't imagine why having a US address would be useful, others gave reasons why it may be useful, and you declared they were wrong because in your micro-universe you don't share the same needs.

I never said you needed to have a US address to live overseas, but there certainly are legit reasons where someone would need one.

Old 02-12-2019, 05:21 AM

9 posts, read 3,027 times
Thanks Recycled... I read your advice and read some about the "Virtual Address" (This may not be what its known by). One can rent a domicile in the target state to establish a real address. Then, once the lease is up, use a mail service (not just a box) and change the address over to the "Virtual Address".

Now, I need to find a place to store my property I want to keep but will only see once per year... Hummer, Brownings, etc...

Old 02-12-2019, 09:51 AM

3,443 posts, read 1,535,055 times
Quote:
This is false.

You said you couldn't imagine why having a US address would be useful, others gave reasons why it may be useful, and you declared they were wrong because in your micro-universe you don't share the same needs.

I never said you needed to have a US address to live overseas, but there certainly are legit reasons where someone would need one.
Yes, we found that we do need a U.S. address. My sister was gracious enough to handle our mail. There is no mail delivery here, so our new credit cards, and such, need to be received somewhere. It makes SS easier to deal with too. And our Vanguard account needs a U.S. address.

I looked into mail forwarding services but they charged $3 a PAGE to scan mail for you. That would add up.

We don't have a drivers license here, so are keeping our U.S. one current for times we visit.

Old 02-12-2019, 09:30 PM

3,803 posts, read 2,018,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by recycled View Post
You can get a digital private mailbox from many different mail forwarding companies. I use one in Texas, and they will periodically forward mail or packages to you with many options available for shipping. I pay about $150 per year plus postage fees. I put my digital mailbox address on the private pension, bank account and investment accounts, and can also obtain a TX driver's license using the digital mailbox address. Then I can move whenever or wherever I want and not have to keep changing addresses. I can also use the digital mailbox address on tax forms.
I wonder if the digital mailbox would work for those entities lieqiang mentioned.

Old 02-12-2019, 10:13 PM

660 posts, read 584,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by recycled View Post

With this virtual address, what happens if the IRS sends you a letter after you file your taxes? Would they really forward those letters to your address overseas? Perhaps its easier for Mexico and Europe. Maybe expats living in Asia might have a more difficult time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or