U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2019, 11:22 PM

7,241 posts, read 4,136,323 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
As mentioned... do it legally (which means you have MT insurance for your MT registered vehicle.)

Many use AK as well. (and OR)

You can have Montana insurance, but when your insurance provider finds out the vehicle is garaged in your home state, they'll deny your claim. Montana LLC is a scam. Get caught and you're SOL. There are people who have been caught. And now they realize what a scam it is. This goes back to the old saying...If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is. Don't believe me. Ask your state's AG. They'll give you the straight scoop.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2019, 03:30 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,558 posts, read 39,944,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
You can have Montana insurance, but when your insurance provider finds out the vehicle is garaged in your home state, they'll deny your claim. Montana LLC is a scam. Get caught and you're SOL. There are people who have been caught. And now they realize what a scam it is. This goes back to the old saying...If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is. Don't believe me. Ask your state's AG. They'll give you the straight scoop.
Yup.. better insure and garage it in MT. or... be on the road the vast majority of the time (and NOT have / default to another domicile).

As mentioned... If you are not doing this legally. Don't do it (that is pretty simple to determine).

I am 'home' less than 1/4 the yr, and never for 30 days in a row. Since I have (3) homes (in USA alone) it is not too hard to be GONE! I am international much of the time anyway (as per Thread topic...) (passport / CC / phone can prove that).

Old 02-21-2019, 12:48 PM

7,241 posts, read 4,136,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Yup.. better insure and garage it in MT. or... be on the road the vast majority of the time (and NOT have / default to another domicile).

As mentioned... If you are not doing this legally. Don't do it (that is pretty simple to determine).

I am 'home' less than 1/4 the yr, and never for 30 days in a row. Since I have (3) homes (in USA alone) it is not too hard to be GONE! I am international much of the time anyway (as per Thread topic...) (passport / CC / phone can prove that).

That pretty much eliminates 99.9+ percent of the population. The vast majority of Americans don't live in Montana and don't own any property in Montana. For them, Montana LLC is a scam and that's who my posts were directed at. Not the few thousand people who live a lifestyle similar to yours.

Old 02-21-2019, 06:20 PM

4,402 posts, read 1,669,820 times
Re: Montana

If I bought a million dollar car and wanted to evade the 100k sales tax, I would skip the red flag LLC. Buy a little 10k house in a Montana prairie town, keep the utilities turned on in my name, hire a boy to mow the lawn, plate and insure the car in my name at that DL address, have somebody in Montana tank up their own car once a month using my crredit card, and let Georgia sustain the burden of proof that I live in Georgia.

Last edited by cebuan; 02-21-2019 at 06:36 PM..

Old 02-22-2019, 04:31 AM

5,936 posts, read 4,668,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowWalk View Post
I also posted this on the World thread with no response:

I have been traveling to various countries to investigate retiring outside the US. I've considered Thailand, Malaysia, Indonesia and the Philippines. Brazil, Chile, Argentina, (Colombia is too dangerous). Ghana, South Africa, Kenya, Madagascar. I think I ruled out Europe. Is anyone considering retiring outside the US? Where are you investigating and why?
Wherever Medicare is accepted and I can still receive Social Security.

Tropical weather 24/7/365, plenty of arts activities, non-corrupt law enforcement and a CoL under $2,600 per month would be ideal.

Old 02-22-2019, 06:35 PM

4,402 posts, read 1,669,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clb10 View Post
Wherever Medicare is accepted and I can still receive Social Security.
Both are exclusive sets which are polar opposites,

Number of countries outside US where Medicare is accepted = zero

Number of countries outside US where you CANNOT receive Social Security = zero

Old 02-23-2019, 09:57 AM

3,801 posts, read 2,015,497 times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xma_NFfaIJA

Old 02-23-2019, 10:07 AM

3,801 posts, read 2,015,497 times
Military veterans have the unique advantage of having Tricare as their subsidized health insurance coverage outside the US.

Old 04-22-2019, 09:29 PM

17,261 posts, read 10,194,544 times
I'm at that point in my life I'm starting to look at these things (time sure flies).

If I had to choose where to retire, now I would say Chiang Mai.

I've looked at multiple videos and read a lot of stuff online, and the budget range is perfect for me. I could live very well for a fraction of what it costs me to live in the U.S.

I have been to Chiang Mai before and liked it. Not as congested as Bangkok.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=isfWN9xvMQA

Old 04-22-2019, 09:35 PM

655 posts, read 582,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
I'm at that point in my life I'm starting to look at these things (time sure flies).

If I had to choose where to retire, now I would say Chiang Mai.

I've looked at multiple videos and read a lot of stuff online, and the budget range is perfect for me. I could live very well for a fraction of what it costs me to live in the U.S.

I have been to Chiang Mai before and liked it. Not as congested as Bangkok.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=isfWN9xvMQA
Are you a single guy? I can see the appeal for single dudes spending their later years in Thailand, but maybe not if you had a spouse or esp a family.

The constant heat would bother me, but I know for some that's not an issue. The flight back to the States is expensive and long, so as long as you don't need to see family often back in U.S. Thailand is not a bad place to end up. Great health care facilities that are inexpensive.

What's your estimate on monthly COL for Chiang Mai? Roughly how much more would it be if someone lived in Bangkok downtown?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or