U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2019, 10:49 PM

17,267 posts, read 10,194,544 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeinChina View Post
Are you a single guy? I can see the appeal for single dudes spending their later years in Thailand, but maybe not if you had a spouse or esp a family.

The constant heat would bother me, but I know for some that's not an issue. The flight back to the States is expensive and long, so as long as you don't need to see family often back in U.S. Thailand is not a bad place to end up. Great health care facilities that are inexpensive.

What's your estimate on monthly COL for Chiang Mai? Roughly how much more would it be if someone lived in Bangkok downtown?
$500 per month seems to be the most common figure floated around by various bloggers.

My estimates would closely resemble this person's:

https://thedeepdish.org/chiang-mai-cheap-cost-living/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2019, 06:57 PM

982 posts, read 300,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post

My estimates would closely resemble this person's:

https://thedeepdish.org/chiang-mai-cheap-cost-living/
It sounds like camping: "Air-conditioning is the biggest drain, but I’m almost always fine with just using a fan. I also prefer taking cold showers in the hot months, which maybe helps explain why my bills are so low."

Out of curiosity, how would you work around the visa issue?

Retirement Visas

Retirement visas for Thailand are available to foreigners 50 years of age or older. These visas are valid for only one year and employment of any kind is strictly prohibited. According to Thai immigration, applicants must meet the following qualifications:

Applicant must be able to provide proof of a pension or other regular income from a source outside of Thailand;

Applicant’s pension or other regular income must be no less than the equivalent of 65,000 Baht per month;

Alternatively, the applicant may meet the financial requirement by maintaining a Thai bank account with a minimum amount of 800,000 Baht. (Applicants will need to show that they have 800,000 Baht in savings each year when they renew their visa.)

Visa Overstays

If an individual does not depart Thailand prior to expiration of his/her airport permit or visa, the individual is in the country illegally. In order to depart Thailand, it will be necessary to pay an overstay fine. The fine for overstaying a visa is 500 Baht per day, up to a maximum of 20,000 Baht. The fine is payable to the Immigration Bureau, the Suvarnabhumi Airport Immigration office, or other departure point.

Thai police have been known to sweep areas frequented by low-budget travelers and arrest those who have overstayed their visas. Those arrested may be held in the Immigration Detention Center until they can pay for their fines and pay for tickets out of Thailand. Those who overstay their visas for more than 200 days may be required to serve time in the Immigration Detention Center before they are deported. It is highly advisable to avoid visa overstays.

Old 04-29-2019, 06:11 AM

1,259 posts, read 288,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
I researched the heck out of it for several years. Even went to visit some likely candidates. I have lived for extended periods outside of the US before so I figured I was a likely candidate. Eventually I decided against it and here's why:

cultural isolation

price-for this to be a good deal you have to live like a local. As soon as you look at the expat communities aimed at American retirees, the prices go way up.

work-if I have to buy the flat screen TV here, I can get a job. If I live in another country on a retiree visa, I can't. Even if I'm just bored; here I can work.

I was planning on renting for a while because I noticed it was harder to sell than it was to buy. Medical insurance and quality of medical care was quite good. I concentrated on Central America; Panama, Nicaragua, Honduras, Mexico, and Costa Rica. Some people would love doing this but it's not for everyone.
I have changed my mind on this; I'll be staying in the US for retirement. A week or two abroad is enough for me.

Old 04-29-2019, 03:26 PM

17,267 posts, read 10,194,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YorktownGal View Post
It sounds like camping: "Air-conditioning is the biggest drain, but Iím almost always fine with just using a fan. I also prefer taking cold showers in the hot months, which maybe helps explain why my bills are so low."

Out of curiosity, how would you work around the visa issue?

Retirement Visas

Retirement visas for Thailand are available to foreigners 50 years of age or older. These visas are valid for only one year and employment of any kind is strictly prohibited. According to Thai immigration, applicants must meet the following qualifications:

Applicant must be able to provide proof of a pension or other regular income from a source outside of Thailand;

Applicantís pension or other regular income must be no less than the equivalent of 65,000 Baht per month;

Alternatively, the applicant may meet the financial requirement by maintaining a Thai bank account with a minimum amount of 800,000 Baht. (Applicants will need to show that they have 800,000 Baht in savings each year when they renew their visa.)

Visa Overstays

If an individual does not depart Thailand prior to expiration of his/her airport permit or visa, the individual is in the country illegally. In order to depart Thailand, it will be necessary to pay an overstay fine. The fine for overstaying a visa is 500 Baht per day, up to a maximum of 20,000 Baht. The fine is payable to the Immigration Bureau, the Suvarnabhumi Airport Immigration office, or other departure point.

Thai police have been known to sweep areas frequented by low-budget travelers and arrest those who have overstayed their visas. Those arrested may be held in the Immigration Detention Center until they can pay for their fines and pay for tickets out of Thailand. Those who overstay their visas for more than 200 days may be required to serve time in the Immigration Detention Center before they are deported. It is highly advisable to avoid visa overstays.
The non-immigrant visa (retirement visa) is renewable every year. As far as I know there is no limit to the number of times you can extend, so long as you continue to meet the income requirements.

Old 04-30-2019, 06:58 AM

982 posts, read 300,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
The non-immigrant visa (retirement visa) is renewable every year. As far as I know there is no limit to the number of times you can extend, so long as you continue to meet the income requirements.
Thanks

Old 04-30-2019, 08:57 AM

13,226 posts, read 6,326,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncguy50 View Post
I have changed my mind on this; I'll be staying in the US for retirement. A week or two abroad is enough for me.
Or you can do what I do, 2 months abroad, t will soon cure the living abroad dream.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or