U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2011, 03:30 PM

16,045 posts, read 16,861,463 times

Advertisements

Are older men happier than older women?

This question came to me today as I was walking, thinking about older men and older women and why in general older men seem on the whole happier or more content than older women.

By "older" I mean over 60, as in senior citizen, retired maybe, maybe not.

What do you think, and why?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2011, 03:45 PM
ifa

294 posts, read 334,604 times
I think older men have more money, in general, than older women. And it seems like the male-female ratio is better for the men, at least for the over-80s.

Old 07-13-2011, 03:46 PM

16,045 posts, read 16,861,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ifa View Post
I think older men have more money, in general, than older women. And it seems like the male-female ratio is better for the men, at least for the over-80s.
So are we saying that having more money or more women available is the key? Other factors?

Old 07-13-2011, 05:24 PM

54,928 posts, read 57,358,940 times
sure we are. as an older guy im just filled with great maturity and deep emotional insight .

ha ha ha ha ha ha ha. i think i hear my wife vomiting..she saw my answer.....

Old 07-13-2011, 05:41 PM

48,526 posts, read 76,020,280 times
I am older and I really don't see it. Woen overall seem much more content even in non-retired life as they have greater and greater success. mnay men competiting against them seem to really recent having to ;but such is life.

Old 07-13-2011, 05:42 PM

19,555 posts, read 37,324,965 times
If true, in my opinion, it is hormonal. If you haven't yet reached 70, you don't know what I'm talking about. Men who survive into old age feel better physically than women. Because of testosterone, they are stronger. Also, hormonally and emotionally, they are not nearly as complicated as women.

Many women, the single ones especially, have do to it all alone. Depending on health, it gets very hard. I don't have problems, but I don't push myself, either. My sister who is 62 isn't doing well at all - thyroid and hormones. Big problems. Still works and has a house. She needs to give up one.

NewEnglandGirl: Can't send you any PMs. Can you reset your profile? Apparently, there is no way to communicate with you. I get tons of PMs, you apparently get none.

Last edited by Ariadne22; 07-13-2011 at 05:56 PM..

Old 07-13-2011, 05:46 PM

5,091 posts, read 12,562,850 times
Older men do not have the extreme pressure to remain young looking. Woman are also comparing themselves to others and try desperately to look young.

An older man can have a younger woman, especially if he is rich, because there are enough woman who are attracted to money and what money can buy--even if the man is not that good looking.

An older woman can not always have a younger man because there are not that many men who want a older women, even if she is rich. Men have big egos and will rarely settle for less, even for money.

This only applies to men and woman who constantly think they need a mate. There is a significant group of older woman and older men who have learned to live very happily without the company of the opposite sex. They enjoy life on their own or they can engage in good friendships. These independent and self assured individual know how to engage in many activities that can satisfy their mature years without the sexual needs of the young. The young, of both sexes, do not understand that life can go on, happily, without a sexual relationship. However, there are some men and women who have never learned grown beyond basic sexual urges, regardless of their age. Unfortunately woman still have the societal pressure to be young and beautiful.

Livecontent

Old 07-13-2011, 05:51 PM

19,555 posts, read 37,324,965 times
^^Much truth in that, as well, livecontent.

Old 07-13-2011, 05:55 PM

5 posts, read 14,190 times
Older men are happier because in all likelihood they didn't spend 50+ years cleaning up after other people. Think of all those hours that could have been better spent.

Old 07-13-2011, 05:56 PM

3,850 posts, read 3,619,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
Are older men happier than older women?

This question came to me today as I was walking, thinking about older men and older women and why in general older men seem on the whole happier or more content than older women.

By "older" I mean over 60, as in senior citizen, retired maybe, maybe not.

What do you think, and why?

Men have more options as they get older. Women are competing all the time on vanity. When it ends....egads....society is not so kind. When women are younger, the opposite is true. It's an interesting switch over time. Although some women are aging very, very well and seem to have a much active life that much longer than before.

Regardless, it seems that older age is more lonely for females than males....just seems that way....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement