Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2011, 10:23 PM

419 posts, read 758,474 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by imcurious View Post
I am not sure if you noticed, but we are on a discussion forum where people discuss all kinds of things.

No one "needs" to justify anything to anyone . . . If you do not wish to think about this subject, click through . . .
You are not interested in having a discussion. You are looking for people who agree with your mis-guided analysis of the lifestyles of retirees who do not fit into your niche of a fulfilling life. Now, please excuse me because I have to go and eat my Frosted Flakes with whole milk that I have had for breakfast everyday for the past 20 years. I love Tony the Tiger.

Like Tek, I am clicking through.....

Old 07-15-2011, 11:15 PM

7,284 posts, read 12,925,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCBaker View Post
You are not interested in having a discussion. You are looking for people who agree with your mis-guided analysis of the lifestyles of retirees who do not fit into your niche of a fulfilling life. Now, please excuse me because I have to go and eat my Frosted Flakes with whole milk that I have had for breakfast everyday for the past 20 years. I love Tony the Tiger.

Like Tek, I am clicking through.....
Actually, no, you are incorrect in your assumption. I posted about this topic because I am curious about what the THINKING and/or mental state is of people who live very rigidly habitual lives . . . I personally do think it is a pity and a waste of time, but I understand it is a reality. Just curious what the life philosophy could be.

Old 07-16-2011, 02:59 AM

8,942 posts, read 20,370,228 times
Folks, I'll say it again........absolutely NOTHING wrong with the OP wondering about something. And, as I've said before, I'm the same way on different things in life and why people do or don't do certain things. "Curious minds" are just that.......CURIOUS!
Some people could get offended when someone hints about how their lifestyle could be after retirement. Some people, after retirement, seem to sit around and do very little-to-nothing anymore while others keep quite active. We have a nice 20' boat that we put out on the water here as much as we can AND we see very few boaters out on the river here that are in our age bracket/retired. There are some, but not nearly as many as the younger generation. Many former boaters have told us "when the kids grew up and out of the house, we got rid of the boat". For us, our "boating days" were when we were young kids/teens and then it ended. After wife and I met and found out we had a great interest in boating, we bought a boat. Now, in the early 60's, we are flying across the water like we did when teens with our families.

Quote:
Actually, no, you are incorrect in your assumption. I posted about this topic because I am curious about what the THINKING and/or mental state is of people who live very rigidly habitual lives . . . I personally do think it is a pity and a waste of time, but I understand it is a reality. Just curious what the life philosophy could be.

Last edited by BabyBoomers2; 07-16-2011 at 03:14 AM..

Old 07-16-2011, 03:51 AM

23,173 posts, read 26,194,030 times
You say you're 'just curious' but continue to mention you consider people like this to be pitiful and a waste of fresh air.
If my lifestyle resembled your description, someone with your attitude would be the last one I would bother explaining it to.

Old 07-16-2011, 07:55 AM

8,775 posts, read 11,906,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBoating View Post
Well, well, well! First of all, my wife and I have talked to this lady a number of times.......we sure aren't strangers to her! She did seen a little offended when I asked her about her lifestyle, but answered me. I was curious and I see NOTHING wrong with curiousity! We don't see her at parties and she was entirely too quiet for me......had to open her up some (that's my personality). I have never said or been said to "it's none of your business" in my life! Sometimes I just think that people will write that statement into a Forum, but really won't say it to anyone......I mean, talkin' about make enemies or creating problems with neighbors! But, then again, me asking her about her lifestyle could have created a problem as well. Anyway, I asked, she answered.....no problems created. And, as far as what I said about "get off your ***", come on lady, I was only kidding (would never say that)!! Guess your not much for humor, hugh? Very nosy.......not me! Actually, I like the word "curious" much better. As for the "don't need people getting all up into my business".......what the heck are you talking about??? I really don't understand people like you, but then again, I have such a different personality and that's probably the reason why. But, in a way, you do sound rather nasty, but then again, I probably sound the same way to you. Tooshhhha!

QUOTE=AZDesertBrat;20028825]Your neighbor lady sounds a lot like me. I LIKE staying to myself, I'm not much for parties and if someone questioned me about my lifestyle I'd likely tell them it was none of their business and wonder why they cared. This is one reason I would never consider living in a 55+ community. People around you "expect" you to be social. And if you told ME to get off my dead *** and do something, I'd likely tell YOU where to "go"! lol Methinks you are very nosy and THAT'S why I am happy to stay to myself. Don't need people getting all up in my business. AND I'm perfectly happy with my life so don't know why anyone else would care about what *I* do.
[/quote]

LOL...I'm not the least bit "nasty". I'm actually very laid back, easy going and OUT going. I've never been an introvert, to say the least and have been voted "most outgoing personality" more than once. But I don't like people being "nosy" about how I live my life. If I WANT them to know, I'll TELL them. Oh yeah, I also have a good sense of humor. So there.

No, I don't tell people "It's none of your business" but I HAVE been known to ask "Why do you want to know?". I do things in my life because I want to, not because it's expected of me or because of what other people might think. I quit caring what other people think when I was about 40 and it was quite "freeing".

Old 07-16-2011, 07:58 AM

8,775 posts, read 11,906,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalara View Post
^^^
This!

And I still think you're my long lost sister
LOL...well, when you finally get moved to AZ we will have to meet up and find out!! How much longer now???

Old 07-16-2011, 09:17 AM

11,177 posts, read 16,016,652 times
Quote:
I posted about this topic because I am curious about what the THINKING and/or mental state is of people who live very rigidly habitual lives . . .I personally do think it is a pity and a waste of time, but I understand it is a reality.
No you didn't.

I just checked your posting history.

You just followed your usual M.O. over the past 9 months. You post provocative statements on numerous boards on C-D ranging from religion, to parenting, to schools, to relationships, to retirement, etc., etc., etc., and then wait for the fireworks to ensue.

Let's see: 1868 posts since 10/23/10 works out to over 200 posts a month.

That's an average of over 200 posts in Nov, Dec., Jan, Feb, March, April, May, June, and now July.

Some people have high post counts because they answer questions or provide pertinent information on the subject at hand, or they just like to provide friendly banter.

Ahh, but that's not you, is it? You have a different purpose in mind.

You post an average of about 7 posts each and every day looking to start or continue an argument.

Just think about that for a minute. You wake up each morning, turn on your computer, head over to C-D, and then look to see what carnage you can cause that day.

That looks to me as if someone is leading the same pathetic life day after day after day.

Congratulations!

You've proved your own thesis.

There are people who live very rigidly habitual lives.

And you're right: it is a pity and a waste of time.

Old 07-16-2011, 10:49 AM

123 posts, read 297,253 times
This is me, my in law saying "how can you live your life just doing nothings". I am retired, i traveled a lot when i was younger just don't want to be on the plane or drive for long hours any more. going out to restaurant, movie, sport events just not exciting me. I leave my on TV 24/7, live in the wood, work on my garden when i want to. when it cold i turn the heat on, when it hot i have the A/C on. i eat when i feel like to, i sleep when i felt to sleep.

Quote:
I read an article that talked about people "living the same year over and over again." I am a philosophical type of person . . .I think about things, am curious, and have opinions. Obviously, anyone has "the right" to live however they want to live . . . I was just musing what might be the point of kind of "wasting" your life by not thinking, not engaging, and just wiling away the time watching "mindless" sitcoms (not educational programs).

The context of this discussion includes a premise that life is valuable . . . that we only have so much time here on this planet, etc.

Given that the status quo is so strongly entrenched in American society (not sure about other societies), I am not surprised at the outrage that someone would have the audacity to even suggest that going through life on automatic pilot might be wasting opportunities . . .

There are boring, dull, unquestioning people everywhere . . .I personally believe they are intellectually lazy and some may be operating on auto-pilot due to fear. I realize this is insulting to the people who have chosen this type of lifestyle . . . I would expect them to defend their positions . . .I would love to hear the real reasons they have "foreclosed early," in their development, but since they are not prone to deep introspection, I expect to hear about "their rights," and not much more.

To the person who had a busy life and is now recouping . . .I am not talking about you . . . not sure why you included yourself . . . you also mentioned listening to PBS, so again, not about you . . .

Underlying every conversation are assumptions and beliefs. My beliefs differ from yours, hence the "argument."

I believe life is precious - that I am here "for a reason" (not sure what) and that I should make the most of my life. I see watching mindless TV as a waste of life. That is my belief. It is "my right." I think it is hilarious, as a side note, that Americans always talk about "their rights" to do whatever . . . as if that is the only reason to ever do anything . . . because you can . . .

Old 07-16-2011, 10:58 AM

7,284 posts, read 12,925,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
No you didn't.

I just checked your posting history.

You just followed your usual M.O. over the past 9 months. You post provocative statements on numerous boards on C-D ranging from religion, to parenting, to schools, to relationships, to retirement, etc., etc., etc., and then wait for the fireworks to ensue.

Let's see: 1868 posts since 10/23/10 works out to over 200 posts a month.

That's an average of over 200 posts in Nov, Dec., Jan, Feb, March, April, May, June, and now July.

Some people have high post counts because they answer questions or provide pertinent information on the subject at hand, or they just like to provide friendly banter.

Ahh, but that's not you, is it? You have a different purpose in mind.

You post an average of about 7 posts each and every day looking to start or continue an argument.

Just think about that for a minute. You wake up each morning, turn on your computer, head over to C-D, and then look to see what carnage you can cause that day.

That looks to me as if someone is leading the same pathetic life day after day after day.

Congratulations!

You've proved your own thesis.

There are people who live very rigidly habitual lives.

And you're right: it is a pity and a waste of time.
That's funny, considering your own posting history (re: numbers).

Old 07-16-2011, 11:30 AM

4,978 posts, read 9,513,908 times
To answer the OP:

I think when people have no real hardships, don't have to worry about money, they do that "Royal Family" thing of living life.

They can buy whatever they want, go wherever they want, and nothing is a dealbreaker. Some were lucky to get pensions or not lose jobs, so they are sitting pretty and it seems lack of any strife makes people soft.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement