Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-16-2011, 05:46 PM
ifa

294 posts, read 445,729 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne22
I do remember that. Let me see, this was a woman who had a long-term personal relationship end, the house in which they lived needed to be sold, she took her share and bought another property with a mortgage, was so traumatized by the loss of this relationship could no longer handle the stress of her job, so 'retired' and didn't have enough income to pay her bills and went through her retirement savings.

Just think of the tax consequences of that?!!!! Money down a rathole.

Suzie's advice - sell the house and move in with your mother. Now, that I agree with. Having been on my own all my life, the very LAST THING I would do if I had been this woman was quit my job. At that point, that was the only security she had.

Some people can be very stupid when faced major life events and bite off their nose to spite their face. So many are still clueless about the limitations of this economy - thinking there will always be a job for them - NOT!!! I don't get it.

This woman will never recover. Best she live with mother going forward and collect SS when she can.
Suze chose to use this woman as an example of the consequences of retiring too early. But this was far from typical. This woman probably had a nervous breakdown because of a bad relationship, and pretty much lost her mind. She went through hundreds of thousands of dollars before thinking maybe she should ask for help.

Yes, retiring too early can be a mistake, but usually is not nearly as bad as that. Suze was just trying to scare her audience into hanging on to their jobs no matter what.

Oh, and I also saw a Suze show where she told her audience they must get to the office early every day and leave late. I just love that advice. When -- I would love to ask her -- are we supposed to do our errands and chores, take care of our health, spend time with our families, etc., if we spend all our waking moments in the office.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2011, 06:07 PM

8,091 posts, read 15,433,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ifa View Post

Oh, and I also saw a Suze show where she told her audience they must get to the office early every day and leave late. I just love that advice. When -- I would love to ask her -- are we supposed to do our errands and chores, take care of our health, spend time with our families, etc., if we spend all our waking moments in the office.
IIRC, that advice was pointedly given to younger workers, people who were just starting out.

But I could be wrong

Old 07-16-2011, 06:50 PM

6,884 posts, read 11,242,310 times
Smile Suze's advice

I sometimes have to look at where the advice is coming from. Suze was not married and did not have children.

Even though she knows others have responsibilities, it is not until you have them that you really understand. You might be married to someone who is helpful, shares household chores, have kids willing to chip in all the time and then maybe not - you may have a child with ADHD or autism.

From that angle, I take her advice with a grain of salt. When my husband started in his career, he was single and he travelled all the time. When he got married and had children, the travel requests stopped and he worked out of the corporate office more. He did go in early and stayed late - all the time - then after 12 years, he resigned and became self employed. Still is. Still goes in early, works late (in fact, we both do) but her children are now young adults but when they were younger, we were with them b/c they were our priority.

I enjoy Suze's "Can I Afford It" but I know it's all for entertainment!!

Old 07-16-2011, 07:35 PM

12,671 posts, read 23,806,411 times
Having a kid is a liability, its that simple.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bette View Post
I sometimes have to look at where the advice is coming from. Suze was not married and did not have children.

Even though she knows others have responsibilities, it is not until you have them that you really understand. You might be married to someone who is helpful, shares household chores, have kids willing to chip in all the time and then maybe not - you may have a child with ADHD or autism.

From that angle, I take her advice with a grain of salt. When my husband started in his career, he was single and he travelled all the time. When he got married and had children, the travel requests stopped and he worked out of the corporate office more. He did go in early and stayed late - all the time - then after 12 years, he resigned and became self employed. Still is. Still goes in early, works late (in fact, we both do) but her children are now young adults but when they were younger, we were with them b/c they were our priority.

I enjoy Suze's "Can I Afford It" but I know it's all for entertainment!!

Old 07-16-2011, 07:39 PM

27,798 posts, read 32,431,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalara View Post
IIRC, that advice was pointedly given to younger workers, people who were just starting out.

But I could be wrong
It was for people new to their profession. I applauded when she said this (I watch her show now and then) and thought at the time it was outstanding advice. I managed a great number of GenXers who didn't follow this advice, and showed very little dedication to their work - and suffered the consequences with poor evaluations, infrequent promotions. Those that did exactly what she said moved up quickly.

Her advice was spot on.

Old 07-16-2011, 10:36 PM

12,039 posts, read 6,568,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LibraGirl123 View Post
Congratulations to you! Just a quick question, though. What is your strategy with regard to your health insurance?
Thanks for the congrats. My husband is currently on Medicare now with a Blue Cross supplement: his medicare=$1,100 year and supplement=$584 year
He doesn't take any meds.

I am on a BlueCross plan with $2,000 deductible and pay $2,532 a year plus thyroid meds of $15 a month.

On the rare years that I have to pay the full deductible due to some health problem, I then go for all my screenings such as cardio and GI type screenings since I've already paid the deductible, and only pay a minimum for the screenings then.

Our health strategy has been PREVENTION! lol
We are pretty serious about diet and exercise--especially me since I come from very bad health genes in my family. Health has been another area we have had some good luck in although I am starting to see the aging happening pretty quickly now that I will be turning 60 soon.

Old 07-17-2011, 02:46 AM

106,662 posts, read 108,810,853 times
last nights couple on the show was really screwed up. over 210,000 a year in income and they owed something like 233,000 in consumer debt with 45k of that in credit card debt at 19%.

thats the audiance susie caters to.

Old 07-17-2011, 02:51 AM

106,662 posts, read 108,810,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainrose View Post
Thanks for the congrats. My husband is currently on Medicare now with a Blue Cross supplement: his medicare=$1,100 year and supplement=$584 year
He doesn't take any meds.

I am on a BlueCross plan with $2,000 deductible and pay $2,532 a year plus thyroid meds of $15 a month.

On the rare years that I have to pay the full deductible due to some health problem, I then go for all my screenings such as cardio and GI type screenings since I've already paid the deductible, and only pay a minimum for the screenings then.

Our health strategy has been PREVENTION! lol
We are pretty serious about diet and exercise--especially me since I come from very bad health genes in my family. Health has been another area we have had some good luck in although I am starting to see the aging happening pretty quickly now that I will be turning 60 soon.
we were going to retire early last month . im 58 but the medical was crazy. thanks to obama care our premiums shot up to 17k......

thats an hsa. rates for singles are still fine but a family rate jumped a huge amount. because kids are covered until 26 even if they are married that rate is a joke.

its hard to find a husband and wife plan now and not just family.

the insurance for 5k deductable family , 2500 per person in an hsa is 188 a week plus you have to fund 7200 in the hsa account and thats subsidized by my company because im still working. the thing is a single is only 88 a week. thanks obama care.

rates are supposed to come down in january for married couples so we will see then.

Old 07-17-2011, 05:23 AM

3,522 posts, read 6,102,489 times
because people are living longer
if you can retire early - great
but most of us are expected to live longer than the previous generation

seems like we are all sol with the way the economy has blown the last several years

Old 07-17-2011, 05:39 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,138,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnyandcloudydays View Post
because people are living longer
if you can retire early - great
but most of us are expected to live longer than the previous generation

seems like we are all sol with the way the economy has blown the last several years
Unless with the possible loss of jobs, the older folks were probably not affected much by the economy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement