Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2011, 10:59 PM

1,297 posts, read 4,769,343 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lenora View Post
I'm sorry, but I can't think of any way she could qualify for additional funds through the Social Security program. Persons receiving Social Security Disability benefits "lose" those benefits when they reach full retirement age. At that time, they are transferred into the regular retirement program, which pays an equivalent benefit.
I am on SSDI and when I turn 65 and I am ready for regular SSecurity and my SSDI is more, SS will pay me and SSDI will pay the overage that I was already getting.

I found this out from my SSDI lawyer and another SSDI person who is on SS now plus SSDI.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2011, 11:10 PM

18,722 posts, read 33,380,506 times
Many thanks to livecontent for the always-cogent and clear info.

Old 07-20-2011, 10:13 AM

5,089 posts, read 15,400,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigg Mann View Post
I am on SSDI and when I turn 65 and I am ready for regular SSecurity and my SSDI is more, SS will pay me and SSDI will pay the overage that I was already getting.

I found this out from my SSDI lawyer and another SSDI person who is on SS now plus SSDI.
This is nonsense--as making no sense. SSDI is the same amount as your SSRI when you reach full retirement age and for this issue it is age 65.

"If you are receiving Social Security disability benefits, your disability benefits automatically convert to retirement benefits, but the amount remains the same."

What You Need To Know When You Get Social Security Disability Benefits

There is no separate SSDI overage payment added to SSRI.

SSDI--Social Security Disability Income
SSRI--Social Security Retirement Income

SS is not used as an abbreviation accronym for retirement income.

Do not take hearsay and anecdotal depictions of Social Security Rules and Regulations. Go to the Social Security directly. In today's world, we have the internet and Social Security has a good website http://www.socialsecurity.gov/. You can get all the information you need. You can read the policies and examine the actual regulations in the code. Yes it is sometimes difficult to understand and many people do not have the intelligence or are too sick or are too old to understand. However, there are many agencies, State, Federal and non-profit to help. A lawyer is not your best, first and only source for reliable information; from my experience, some of them are just stupid and lazy and yes there are many good lawyers.

Do not take information on this forum as fact including my information--a good rule is verify, verify and verify all information.

Livecontent

Last edited by livecontent; 07-20-2011 at 10:33 AM..

Old 07-20-2011, 03:55 PM

14,466 posts, read 20,644,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by livecontent View Post
SSRI and SSDI are from the same fund and are essentially the same, as retirement income; one being standard retirement income and the other disability retirement income.
Not true per the Social Security Administration.

There are two separate funds.
If a person whose full retirement age is 65, becomes disabled at age 58, their SSDI will come from the disability fund.
If they are still determined to be disabled at age 65, they switch over to regular social security and it comes out of the social security fund.

If their disability check was larger than their s.s. check would have been had they not become disabled, at age 65, they will receive the larger of the two amounts.

Old 07-20-2011, 04:08 PM

1,297 posts, read 4,769,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by howard555 View Post

If a person whose full retirement age is 65, becomes disabled at age 58, their SSDI will come from the disability fund.
If they are still determined to be disabled at age 65, they switch over to regular social security and it comes out of the social security fund.

If their disability check was larger than their s.s. check would have been had they not become disabled, at age 65, they will receive the larger of the two amounts.
This is a better explanation of what I was trying to say. I started getting SSDI at age 50 and if I continue to get it by age 65, my SSI would be less than I am getting now. If I was 65 now SSI is 300/mo less than my current SSDI.

Old 07-20-2011, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigg Mann View Post
This is a better explanation of what I was trying to say. I started getting SSDI at age 50 and if I continue to get it by age 65, my SSI would be less than I am getting now. If I was 65 now SSI is 300/mo less than my current SSDI.
you'll get the larger amount.

Old 07-20-2011, 04:51 PM

Quote:

Thank you for the information.

I am going to check this out. If you have link, to social security, saying that they compute disability retirement higher or lower than regular social security retirement--I like to see that. I have seen nothing that says that your disability retirement computations are different from what you would receive when you are 65.

In adddition, provide me with an official link that indicates that there are two separate funds, one for disability SSDI and one for retirement SSRI--I would like to see that also.

So prove it to me! I so much like to learn.

Livecontent

Old 07-21-2011, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by livecontent View Post
Thank you for the information.

I am going to check this out. If you have link, to social security, saying that they compute disability retirement higher or lower than regular social security retirement--I like to see that. I have seen nothing that says that your disability retirement computations are different from what you would receive when you are 65.

In adddition, provide me with an official link that indicates that there are two separate funds, one for disability SSDI and one for retirement SSRI--I would like to see that also.

So prove it to me! I so much like to learn.

Livecontent
My "official" source was a phone call to the Social Security Administration.

I did find one link that refers to:
The Disability Insurance Trust Fund is a separate account in the United States Treasury. The trust fund provides automatic spending authority to pay monthly benefits to disabled-worker beneficiaries.

Disability Insurance Trust Fund

Old 07-21-2011, 11:40 AM

Quote:
My "official" source was a phone call to the Social Security Administration.

I did find one link that refers to:
The Disability Insurance Trust Fund is a separate account in the United States Treasury. The trust fund provides automatic spending authority to pay monthly benefits to disabled-worker beneficiaries.

Very Interesting and thanks for the link. It basicly says that all monies come from FICA, for retirement and the disabled. To expedite payments to the disabled, A separate spending trust fund is established take money from the same source. Social Security has to periodically request the congress to allocated spending for retirement. This just allows them to spend without the periodic request for the disabled. It does not change the source of the funding; it just moves it around to a different account. So, you are correct.

Again, I cannot find any information that says that the disabled retirement payment is different than full payment at the retirement age. That is the main point you are making. In all the publications, all the statutes, It repeats that that the disabled payment is just converted to regular retirement at the full retirement age and there will be not change in payments. However, if you can find that information, in writing, I would be very open to see that statement.

Well, thanks for the links and your courteous response. I did learn some about how they do some government accounting. I try hard to understand all these issues as I have been social security disabled for many years.

I have never really trusted all the information I have gotten from Social Security because I have caught them in many errors. Even something written on their website can be questionable, unless it is a specific statute. Of course, I like to make sure I am getting the correct amount and your challenges help me.

Livecontent

Old 07-21-2011, 12:47 PM

Has anyone ever received a statement from Social Security giving them a list of all their years of job history, and their income each year, and what your social security benefit might be?

BUT, long before you retired you became disabled?

Was the amount of your disability check close to what they said your social security would be?
How close was it?

Look here:
How Disability Payments are Determined by Social Security
If you are found to be disabled by Social Security, your initial disability payments are based on your age, how long you have worked and what your average earnings were before you became disabled.

• Often a person can become disabled well before retirement age; Social Security takes that into account when projecting what your potential disability benefit might be or when it is time to calculate an actual benefit amount.
  • If you are not close to retirement age when you become disabled, Social Security will look at your income for the current and previous years and assume that that would be your income each year until you reached retirement age so they can calculate your benefit amount.

• Example: A person who has earned their 40 credits and earns about $43,000 per year. If they are able to retire at age 67 Social Security is currently estimating that their benefit amount at retirement would be about $1,578 per month.
  • If that same person were to become disabled this year (with the assumption that the person is not close to retirement age at this time) their disability benefit would be about $1,442 per month.
So, the disability amount and the retirement amount can be different.
Why?
Because when they calculate your disability payment they ASSUME your future earnings will be the same as your past earnings.
This is impossible if you are disabled and can not work.
If you are disabled 5 years, then they have assumed that your income for those 5 years was the same as before you became disabled.

How Disability Payments are Determined by Social Security | DisabilityLawyers.com

So, if you remain disabled until your retirement age, you will be moved over to retirement and your benefit will be the greater of the two benefit checks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement