Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2011, 05:10 PM

5,284 posts, read 20,048,201 times

Advertisements

We don't drink. We are happier, safer, richer and healthier because we don't drink.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2011, 10:09 AM

1,531 posts, read 2,418,649 times
During my younger years I smoked pot, haven't touched the stuff for +30 years but fondly remember the "high". When I retire I may take it up again.

Old 07-22-2011, 12:32 PM

8,942 posts, read 20,367,927 times
Couldn't help it, but really chuckled when I read this!

Quote:
Originally Posted by caco54 View Post
During my younger years I smoked pot, haven't touched the stuff for +30 years but fondly remember the "high". When I retire I may take it up again.

Old 07-22-2011, 01:24 PM

23 posts, read 51,821 times
Hey, as we age we may even be able to get a prescription for it to help our ailments--at least in the enlightened states that allow medical marijuana!

Old 07-22-2011, 02:01 PM

4,697 posts, read 6,447,121 times
Both of my parents drank - rarely to excess, at least as far as I could tell, but daily. When I went to college in upstate New York, the drinking age was 18. I was on a budget, and my drink of choice up to that time - Pepsi - cost more per six-pack than Michelob!

I tried drinking booze, and I tried wine, but it was always beer for me. Lots and lots of beer. Less during the week, and more on weekends. I thought at the time that it never affected my work, but looking back, I think I could have done better.

I quit cold, pouring almost a case of Coors Light down the kitchen sink, maybe 13-14 years ago now.

Feel great.

Old 07-22-2011, 02:14 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,128,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBoating View Post
I know there is a Thread about increased alcohol consumption after retirement, but I'm wondering just how many people decided they'd had enough of drinking alcohol period. Was this decision due to......."had enough, just don't want to drink anymore", medical reasons or alcohol and your body just doesn't get along anymore? Wife and I (early 60's) were discussing the other night about possibly stopping. We like a margarita or two with mexican food AND I do make a good one! We like a beer or two with some meals (supper) and with snacks while watching an NFL game. During the summer months here in Florida, a "cold one" can sure taste good during the high heat. And, a couple of cold beers on a hot afternoon while sitting on our boat tied up to a dock, well, that is nice as well. Only thing is, we both feel like we are getting a little tired of drinking, but do we want to completely stop the party?? Neither of us have ever been heavy drinkers, but as the age goes up...........
To me, alcoholic drinks are just a beverage like anything else. I have never consumed them to "get drunk", even though, occasionally this is a side effect that I have experienced. As I get older, however, I do tend to drink in more moderation, but I do enjoy them as much as ever and have no intention of stopping completely.

20yrsinBranson

Old 07-22-2011, 03:09 PM

44,625 posts, read 61,603,272 times
Hey, party on if that's the quality of life you want. Enjoy your remaining days to the fullest. You only go around one time, no second chances. You'll feel younger longer too.
I'd rather have fun than sitting around moping into an old age slowly wilting away and getting frustrated as time slips by.

Old 07-22-2011, 03:18 PM

10,494 posts, read 27,238,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
Our consumption has gone down. A lot. Mine especially. I come from a family with a number of alcoholics and I certainly have the tendency. I have never allowed myself to become a "raging" alcoholic, and Mrs. Tek has always been aware that she is allowed to tell me I am drinking too much. When she tells me that I stop. Period. I won't have a drink for months.

Luckily that behavior seems to be well behind me. I also enjoy a margarita with Mexican food (and I make a mean margarita, too), as well an occasional glass of wine with dinner, and a beer when it's hot. I still enjoy getting a buzz, but I haven't been "drunk" for years, and I doubt I ever will be again.

BTW, I'll show you mine if you'll show me yours.

Margaritas by Threes

3 cups mix: We use Jose Cuervo
(divide by three)
1 cup Tequila
(divide by three)
1/3 cup triple sec.

Easy to make and they taste great!
I commend you and anyone else who can drink responsibly. Unfortunately, I can't. Because of that I will never make it to your age. In fact, I highly doubt I will even make it to 40.

Old 07-22-2011, 03:23 PM

8,091 posts, read 15,432,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caco54 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harleyguy1951 View Post
Hey, as we age we may even be able to get a prescription for it to help our ailments--at least in the enlightened states that allow medical marijuana!
It'd have to be by prescription, for the only reason being I wouldn't know who the heck to go to on the streets. I really doubt if that guy from high school is still parked outside the 7-11

Old 07-23-2011, 06:44 AM

8,942 posts, read 20,367,927 times
With the amount of drinking we do, which is basically fairly light, the only thing we do is get funny and laugh. Last night we each had two of my homemade margarita's and some Mexican food while watching a movie. We are both fine this morning!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenGene View Post
Both of my parents drank - rarely to excess, at least as far as I could tell, but daily. When I went to college in upstate New York, the drinking age was 18. I was on a budget, and my drink of choice up to that time - Pepsi - cost more per six-pack than Michelob!

I tried drinking booze, and I tried wine, but it was always beer for me. Lots and lots of beer. Less during the week, and more on weekends. I thought at the time that it never affected my work, but looking back, I think I could have done better.

I quit cold, pouring almost a case of Coors Light down the kitchen sink, maybe 13-14 years ago now.

Feel great.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement