U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2011, 05:03 PM

2,291 posts, read 5,206,992 times

Advertisements

Retired, No Children, No regrets.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2011, 05:15 PM

1,266 posts, read 2,956,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
I think they like the fact that older folks such as myself did not bow to the sometimes crushing pressure to procreate even back in the day when one was often considered a pariah if they didn't.
Well-said!

Choosing to be childless has not been an easy path to follow in life, especially when you're 31 (in 1978), newly married, and spend the next decade saying:

1. "No, we don't."
2. "No, we don't plan to have any, either."
3. "Gee, Mom and Dad, not everybody is cut out to be parents."
4. "We're just self-centered DINK yuppies who like our freedom, privacy, and spirit of adventure that can be indulged child-free."
5. "Yeah, we won't have anybody to take care of us in our old age and we'll be sorry, won't we?"

Etc. ad nauseaum...

Both my husband and I (now married 33 years) have often joked about how we dodged a bullet and have NEVER regretted our decision not to add to the population explosion.

Old 07-22-2011, 11:42 PM
ifa

294 posts, read 391,311 times
"Yeah, we won't have anybody to take care of us in our old age and we'll be sorry, won't we?"

It is so cruel to have children just so they can be your slaves if you ever become disabled. I used to hear that, back when I was deciding. I knew I didn't want to have kids anyway, but the thought of bringing creatures into the world just to be your slaves -- it was appalling to me.

My mother had me because she loved having babies. I doubt she ever thought she would be disabled some day and need my help. I am glad to help her. But if I thought she had me for that purpose, I would be mad!

Old 07-23-2011, 01:36 AM

1,554 posts, read 2,597,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dollydo View Post
Retired, No Children, No regrets.
Same here.

I'm a dog-lover, and my dog is like my kid. I will always have one. Gives you reason to take a walk if you dont feel like it, gives you tons of love, and gives YOU something to love. Of course, people who like to travel a lot, often dont want a pet while they are still able to go go go...

I have nieces and nephews, and great-nieces and nephews. Not all of them live nearby, but we stay in touch.

I have my own life, and i really like it that way. I never wanted children, never had them, and i've always been happy with my choice.

Old 07-23-2011, 12:31 PM
ifa

294 posts, read 391,311 times
There are actually great benefits to being childless. Either your retirement account is hundreds of thousands of dollars more than it would have been with kids, or else you had about 10 extra years to do things you wanted.

If you love raising kids, and have plenty of money, and one parent can afford to stay home, then having kids is a good deal. But otherwise, it really can be a big sacrifice of time and/or money.

Old 07-24-2011, 08:48 PM

361 posts, read 656,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
This seems to be the situation in every forum I have ever read where this subject comes up. Not that anyone here is being preachy or scolding as I sometimes see on other forums. Everyone is polite and respcetful of other peoples' comments. But I just wonder why those to whom the question is not being addressed feel compelled to answer just the reverse of what is being asked.
Perhaps because it is a virtual conversation! Just sayin'...

Old 07-26-2011, 03:48 PM

15,861 posts, read 33,260,172 times
Never wanted kids, never had kids, retired and absolutely NO regrets! Hubby feels the same!

Haha - my dad (God rest his soul) once told us we were really SMART to not have any!

Old 07-26-2011, 06:12 PM

10,450 posts, read 12,035,551 times
As a nurse, I've seen plenty of people who's children cannot take care of them--either refuse or can't deal with it or working F/T, etc. so having children to "take care of you" as you age doesn' t always work that way! I could never understand why people even thought that way or expected it--it's a different world. And, I think children deserve to have their own lives anyways.

Old 07-26-2011, 06:19 PM

191 posts, read 156,727 times
I never had any desire for kids myself, altho I would have had ONE with the right woman, had she needed one to be happy. I had a vasectomy at age 54, and wish I'd had it at age 18, I'd have had a lot more action with the ladies! :-)

Old 07-26-2011, 06:31 PM

21,697 posts, read 25,064,472 times
My mother and I didn't eye to eye on most things but when I told her of my decision not to have kids she supported me 100%. It was odd to have her back me up on anything but she approved of my decision because it was what she had wanted to (or not wanted to) do.

I am just not comfortable around kids but that could be because I have never been around them much. If I feel maternal at all I just go and pet my kitty.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement