U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2015, 09:50 AM
Status: "Recipe for failure. Overanalyze." (set 6 days ago)

706 posts, read 856,286 times

Advertisements

Sherry and I and young Norm were out and about. We decided to stop at Pica's in Upper Darby for some food. We decide on split combo pizza and ordered French Fries and a small burger for young Norm. He seemed to be taking his time or not eating at all. Sherry looked him in the eye matter of factly and said: "If you do not eat that food -- there will be no dessert". Quite a motivator that Sherry while we turned a way Norm had managed to place several fries and almost all the burger into his mouth. He was sitted in one of those high chairs provided by the restaurant and very proudly he was liening over clutching the edge of the high chair. His mouth on either side was bulging and food was oozing out his mouth but you could tell he couldn't contain himself on how proud that he accomplished the task. After we cleared his mouth he said two words: "Ice Cream". Who'd deny him. Sherry is quite a motivator.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2015, 10:11 AM

1,571 posts, read 1,963,371 times
Our son came running up with a kitten one time and said, 'look, it's brand new!'
------
Our granddaughter told us she had her ears 'impeered' and, she loved her pony 'rails'.
------
Same granddaughter was standing with grandpa at our front sidewalk, and our dog, Elva, was there too and was trained not to leave the sidewalk. Grandpa said, "Elva's not allowed to leave the sidewalk and go in the street". Granddaughter looked at Elva and back at grandpa and said, "She's thinking about it!"

Old 06-06-2015, 10:35 AM

9,751 posts, read 7,030,085 times
Well, since this thread had been resurrected, here are a few more, these from my daughter when she was little.

1. My favorite, reported to me by a neighbor who heard it when her own daughter and mine were playing together a few days after Hurricane Andrew devastated south Miami-Dade county in 1992. There was a 7PM curfew in place, and I guess my daughter (age 8 at the time)was informing her friend about it. She tells her friend "you know you have to be home by 7 o'clock or the police will come and curse you!!!".

2. A year or two earlier, and we had taken a road trip to visit relatives in NY (mainly Long Island). We spent a day driving all around LI and ended up on the north shore of the LI sound across the water towards Connecticut. My husband and I raved on and on about the beauty of the place, and how much fun it was to be there and at one point we asked our daughter if she liked the Long Island Sound. Her response was that yes, she did, but "I just wish I could hear it."

3. One day when she was about 4, and during a hot humid day during a typical south Florida summer, I was home and planned to do some housecleaning. My hair was short but just long enough on my neck to bug the crap out of me, so I found a rubber band and put it up in a sort of pony tail to get it off my neck. Well, at that my daughter looked at me and said, "Mom, you look like the world's oldest little girl!".

Old 06-06-2015, 03:55 PM

4,343 posts, read 6,055,575 times
This is a great thread. Funniest thing was when my oldest grandson was age 3. He piped up with, "I'm sorry you guys will be buried under the ground soon." What? Huh? We straightened him out, told him we'd be there (god willing) for his graduation and his wedding. Later we asked his Mom about this and his aunt's cat recently died. They did a little over explaining, telling him you only die when you're very old or very sick. He must've looked at our old faces and thought... Guh! Old!

Old 06-08-2015, 10:17 AM

284 posts, read 352,967 times
When my son was about five or six we went to the park and were walking towards the playground when he asks "Dad, can I go wee?"
I look around for a washroom and point it out to him.

"No Dad, like this! Wheeeeee!" as he stretches out his arms like airplane wings and runs down the hill.

Old 06-08-2015, 10:38 AM

1,453 posts, read 1,153,939 times
When my daughter was about 2 years old, we decided to take a walk in the wood on the way home from church one Sunday. It was in the fall and the ground was covered with leaves. My dress shoes were too slippery to walk so I took them off. My husband laughed and said: "He he, look at mommy, she walks with bare feet"

My little girl looked at my feet and said: "Mommy has bear feet, Axx have mouse feet"!!

She was an early talker saying her first word 'burr' when she was 6 months old sitting in the strawberry patch pointing at the birds. When she was about 1.5 years old, we were sitting behind the family of an African professor in church (they were among the very small number of minority families living in the Upper Penninsula, Michigan). My daughter pointed at their baby and said loudly: "Chocolate baby". No doubt that the association came from the chocolate bunny in the basket she got before the Easter sunday service.

Old 06-08-2015, 01:35 PM

13,886 posts, read 25,316,043 times
No kids here but the child of a friend just came out with this one!

"If you are confident enough in your own abilities, every pizza is a personal pizza!"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or