U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 07-21-2011, 01:23 PM
 
29,782 posts, read 34,867,277 times
Reputation: 11705

Advertisements

State pension funds have started reporting their investment returns for the past fiscal year. Pensioners can hope theirs did well and that their funding levels have increased. Certainly pensioners in California should be happy and we all should hope to do as well. As your state posts you can share here and hopefuly we will see a very positive emerging nationally. Will make it a lot easier on state governments moving forward and that is good.


CalPERS and California State Teachers' Retirement System returns: - latimes.com

Quote:
California's biggest pension funds reported that a booming stock market and private-equity gains helped them post their largest returns in over a decade.

The California Public Employees' Retirement System pension fund grew 20.7% in the fiscal year ending June 30, its best return in 14 years. The California State Teachers' Retirement System fund, known as CalSTRS, increased 23.1%, the best it has done in a quarter century.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-21-2011, 02:57 PM
 
Location: Los Angeles area
14,018 posts, read 17,737,509 times
Reputation: 32304
TuborgP is correct, of course, that the article he linked is good news, both for Calif. taxpayers and for public employees and public school teachers in that state. However, just for the sake of perspective, the article goes on to point out that the value of the holdings of both the funds is still below the peak values which were reached in 2007 before the national financial meltdown. In other words, they are still climbing out of a deep hole. Don't mean to be pessimistic, as I agree that the climb out of the hole during the past year is impressive, and of course any economic good news at this point is welcome indeed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-21-2011, 09:08 PM
 
29,782 posts, read 34,867,277 times
Reputation: 11705
Quote:
Originally Posted by Escort Rider View Post
TuborgP is correct, of course, that the article he linked is good news, both for Calif. taxpayers and for public employees and public school teachers in that state. However, just for the sake of perspective, the article goes on to point out that the value of the holdings of both the funds is still below the peak values which were reached in 2007 before the national financial meltdown. In other words, they are still climbing out of a deep hole. Don't mean to be pessimistic, as I agree that the climb out of the hole during the past year is impressive, and of course any economic good news at this point is welcome indeed.
Much greater and longer steps were taking to get out of that hole.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-22-2011, 10:37 AM
 
Location: Bar Harbor, ME
1,922 posts, read 3,779,535 times
Reputation: 1292
Generally the markets are doing great. Its just that its a jobless recovery for people. So its quite helpful for those of us who are retired and on pensions. In my case, I didn't evfen think of taking money out of my pension fund to invest myself: there is no way that I can get the kind of return that the money managers of my pension fund are getting---upwards of 8-9 % when a big CD return is 1.05 %.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-22-2011, 03:48 PM
 
48,516 posts, read 83,932,349 times
Reputation: 18050
Yep;FED policy is killing any cash type funds of retirees.My pension is fine as are my investments.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-22-2011, 08:44 PM
 
Location: USA
5 posts, read 8,929 times
Reputation: 10
I want to give a thanks to Joseph Dear and CalPERS for their activity. I hope they will continue their activity with full energy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-24-2011, 10:45 AM
 
29,782 posts, read 34,867,277 times
Reputation: 11705
Quote:
Originally Posted by evapaul View Post
I want to give a thanks to Joseph Dear and CalPERS for their activity. I hope they will continue their activity with full energy.
He is a frequent contributor on CNBC and I really like him as they do. He is very level headed and would be a great member of congress. He understands pension shortfalls and what needs to be done short term and long term. You can learn a lot listening to him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-05-2011, 10:44 AM
 
Location: USA
5 posts, read 8,929 times
Reputation: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by evapaul View Post
I want to give a thanks to Joseph Dear and CalPERS for their activity. I hope they will continue their activity with full energy.
Leaders from some of the nationís largest public pension funds representing more than one trillion dollars in assets called on President Barack Obama and Members of Congress to act immediately to address the nationís deficit to avoid a downgrade of the United States by credit agencies.

We will provide you best solution about IRA Distribution
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-05-2011, 08:03 PM
 
29,782 posts, read 34,867,277 times
Reputation: 11705
Quote:
Originally Posted by evapaul View Post
Leaders from some of the nationís largest public pension funds representing more than one trillion dollars in assets called on President Barack Obama and Members of Congress to act immediately to address the nationís deficit to avoid a downgrade of the United States by credit agencies.

We will provide you best solution about IRA Distribution
to late
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top