U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2011, 05:31 AM

16,042 posts, read 19,001,270 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
What passed for a relationship fizzled out last year so at present it's just me; and I'm living in about 600sf.
The three bedrooms and half bath are unoccupied with doors closed which has me using the living room as a luxuriously large bedroom.

The (planned) upstairs remodeling in addition to the very needed kitchen and hall bath work...
will expand the master BR (w/ half bath and tiny closet) to have a 3/4 bath and 8' deep walk-in closet.

There is also a real possibility of adding the 2nd BR area to the really too small Master BR by cutting out the adjoining wall
and reorienting the entry from the hall... which will sacrifice that bedroom for a housemate to use (we'll see).
The 3rd BR will remain as is for an office or for occasional guests...

The decision on eliminating the 2nd BR is less about how I'd prefer to live than the risk of too much of a change
for the suburban neighborhood if/when I resell. I haven't resolved that yet but if I move downstairs then I don't have the conflict (again, we'll see)

Exactly. Absent overly large furniture and the need to host Thanksgiving Dinner for 30...
800sf is entirely enough space (when well laid out) for one; two if they get along very well.
This house is 1250sf actually but has too much wasted feet allocated to the underused and isolated living room.

Agreed. The K&B people I've been talking with are all horrified that as part of the kitchen and bath remodel work I'm actually (gasp!) making the kitchen and hall bath smaller than they are now! But the space for that walk in closet and large shower have to come from somewhere.

When complete the Kitchen will be 8' x 7' (+3' aisle) and the bathroom 5'8" x 9'6". Still big enough.
Another contemplation related to the whole scheme is to create a pass thru between the living room and the dining room.

Thanks. The original er, rationalization... was that one or another of my adult kids would be moving into the space... which still may happen but seems less and less likely. I'm within easy commute of two major hospitals and three universities so finding suitable adult! tenants (up or down) shouldn't be difficult (faculty, working professionals, NO undergrads tyvm).

If I weren't such a Luddite I'd set up a webpage...
Heck even getting my digital pictures down to a manageable (transfer) size seems daunting.
I would consider a few things---
Mostly it's women who buy houses. Women want bathrooms and more than one bedrm esp if they are having a family. But everyone wants a guestroom so for resale value try to preserve the 2nd bedroom.

Open concept is good wherever possible. Small ranches can be confining if the rooms are very separate, knock down a wall or two to make the space open and airy.

Small kitchen is find if it has lots of cabinet space, that is the key.

If you can, avoid having the main level bedroom and bath directly over the lower level bedroom or bath, for obvious reasons.

That's it, from a woman's perspective.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or