U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2011, 08:42 AM

15,070 posts, read 19,013,423 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
That was me (posting). The couple I know rehabbed their two-floor house, added on a two-floor wing, and made themselves a sweet 4-room apt on the first floor of the original house. The kid and his wife who took them up on the deal will look after them in their declining years, and will inherit the house. It is documented legally so the other kids can't protest--they had their chance.
I do hope that when the kids inherit the house, it has no mortgage. If there IS a mortgage, their names better be on it, or else it becomes a demand note (pay in full right now) upon the date of death of the mortgagee.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2011, 10:33 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,577 posts, read 39,952,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by staywarm2 View Post
EEK!!
((kids to come live with them, care for them as they aged))

Maybe a needy friend,(or even stranger)
but your OWN kids
(payback?)

Old 08-01-2011, 09:32 PM

1,779 posts, read 1,419,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
I do hope that when the kids inherit the house, it has no mortgage. If there IS a mortgage, their names better be on it, or else it becomes a demand note (pay in full right now) upon the date of death of the mortgagee.
I don't know any US jurisdiction where a mortgage can be called when a child inherits a property. There are laws against this.

Old 08-02-2011, 04:24 AM

701 posts, read 1,531,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuitmom View Post
I know more folks who have slipped and fallen on hardwood and tile floors than who have fallen on steps/stairs.

Pets are a big problem, too. Cats and dogs get underfoot and boom! there goes an ankle or leg or hip.

I'm a reference librarian by trade and a few years ago I did some research on home injuries. The #1 accident site, by a mile, is bathrooms.
Thanks for the info. We've going to carpet the kitchen, give away the mutts, and board up the bathrooms.

Any other dangers we should be aware of?

Old 08-02-2011, 10:59 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,577 posts, read 39,952,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatRoy1 View Post

Stairs, ladders, foot stools, chairs... time ' to 'kid proof' for reverse aging. (Sad to say this is a tough reality (30 + yr caregiver to disabled parent, they need an emotioncon for Tired / Worn Out, & Ragged... 'FLAT coyote' road kill' would describe it pretty well)

Old 08-04-2011, 08:49 PM

7,288 posts, read 10,856,609 times
I would also try to find a three bedroom on one level . . . at least now you know you want a three bedroom . . . in this real estate market (not sure where you live but most markets have lots of inventory) it should not be long before you find the home that will be perfect for your situation.

"Act in haste, repent at leisure . . ."

Old 08-04-2011, 11:10 PM

10,817 posts, read 8,063,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatRoy1 View Post
Thanks for the info. We've going to carpet the kitchen, give away the mutts, and board up the bathrooms.

Get rid of the wine fridge and wet bar, and sell the Harley-Davidson, stat!

edit to add dang, gotta turn in the car keys, too. Way more of us clumsy (and sometimes drunk) elders are injured in cars than on stairs, year after year after year.
And surely you have more sense than to get in a boat.

Last edited by biscuitmom; 08-04-2011 at 11:19 PM..

Old 08-05-2011, 03:44 AM

Sell the Harley? I don't think so.

Old 08-05-2011, 03:51 AM

Quote:
Ge
edit to add dang, gotta turn in the car keys, too. Way more of us clumsy (and sometimes drunk) elders are injured in cars than on stairs, year after year after year.
Ain't that the truth. Wonder why you never hear about retirement planning including bus service? Seems that others are concerned about our driving until we are a menace on the highway. Lots of pointers out there for kids to use in determining whether to take away our keys.

But very little talk among the retired folks about how it would be heading trouble off at the pass if we got rid of the car.

Old 08-05-2011, 07:15 AM

6,995 posts, read 6,988,918 times
Default Golf Carts

Quote:
Get rid of the wine fridge and wet bar, and sell the Harley-Davidson, stat!

And surely you have more sense than to get in a boat.
And those Golf Carts on public roadways--DANGEROUS!! Lots of accidents in the 55+ communities in them...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or