Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2011, 12:11 PM

2,494 posts, read 3,245,156 times

Advertisements

OK, Im not technically retired but very close. I'm "between jobs" as they say.
I spent most days at home sending out resumes and doing chores.
Im starting to get annoyed with neighbor noise. The kind thats rather intrusive; you cant even close the windows and escape it.
The folks behind us bought a new stereo I gather. The bass notes rattle the house, windows and can be heard/felt everywhere. Theres no escape.
I've asked them to adjust the bass note but they just dont get it.
Some neighbors have bought large dogs that bark often.
Thumping basketballs are very annoying.
I dont want to be a grumpy old coot. What is the reasonable expectation of privacy within the confines of a single-family home on 1/3 acre?
Cheers all and enjoy retirement!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2011, 12:31 PM

5,089 posts, read 15,397,079 times
Yet, neighborhoods have sounds: people, dogs, lawnmowers, leave blowers (agh), stereos, children playing etc. Some noises are annoying; some are pleasant reminders of life but at times I like no sounds. I like to read when it real quiet. So, years ago I bought some heavy duty gun mufflers and over time more noise ear mufflers. I added more foam to customize; and when I want my quiet time, I just reach for one of them. It works great. It is like a whole different world--no music, no sounds, no damn dogs--just my own thoughts. You could even put ear plugs on, in addition to the ear mufflers, and that really adds more quiet.

In the sixties, when I started college, they sold these ear mufflers at the campus bookstore. I also thought that was a good idea and I found out they worked great when studying in the dorms.

Recently, I had new energy windows installed and that has stopped more sounds.

I told my idea to this neighbor and he starting wearing them. His wife was real angry because she was the noise he was blocking

Livecontent

Old 06-09-2011, 12:36 PM

8,938 posts, read 20,360,557 times
We don't get much neighbor noise since we live in a "bungaloo" type apartment on the end........biggest reason why we like, no LOVE this apartment. Since this is not a Senior/55+ type place, so we do have a certain amount of noise......thumping car stereos (coming in and leaving the complex), "crotch rocket"/race bikes (motorcycles), a dog bark at times, a Harley coming/leaving and lawn maintenance dudes mowing and using leaf blowers once a week. Right now I have our back door open and can hear a/c's running. Sometimes we will hear our next door neighbor's stereo through the bathroom wall, but close that door and noise is gone. At night it is awefully quiet here and that is nice to us. The noise we have now is really nothing compared to when we had neighbors living above us........we won't even go there! At night, sometimes, I will watch a Classic Rock DVD concert and crank it up some, but not enough to where someone might come knocking on our door.
In Senior/55+ communities, management is much more strict on noise than regular apartment complexes.

Old 06-09-2011, 01:22 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,019,975 times
Replacing my windows and adding insulation made a huge difference in the noise level.

I kind of like the noise. People are around and life is being lived.

Old 06-09-2011, 01:32 PM

Great thoughts, all.
Yard work doesnt bug us. The work is done and it's over in an hour or so.
It's a reasonable expectation.
I may write the neighbors a note explaining that their stereo rattles the entire house, maybe they'll finally get it. Cheers all!

Old 06-09-2011, 01:41 PM

174 posts, read 590,547 times
Many cities have noise ordinances that follow along the guidelines of residents being entitled to "reasonable and comfortable enjoyment of life or property." Some are specific with decible levels, and others are vague. You'd have to check with your local government. That said, and from personal experience and reading other accounts, it's a bit of a hassle to legally prevent a neighbor from making noise. In my case, I found that a white noise generator, which is an electronic device, helped mask the unceasing screaming and shouting coming from my neighbor's pool, at least enough to where I could tolerate it.

Now the full-throttle revvings of unmuffled ATVs coming from my other neighbor at 10pm was another matter. Gee, I'm glad I moved from that place....

Old 06-09-2011, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newt View Post
Many cities have noise ordinances that follow along the guidelines of residents being entitled to "reasonable and comfortable enjoyment of life or property." Some are specific with decible levels, and others are vague. You'd have to check with your local government. That said, and from personal experience and reading other accounts, it's a bit of a hassle to legally prevent a neighbor from making noise. In my case, I found that a white noise generator, which is an electronic device, helped mask the unceasing screaming and shouting coming from my neighbor's pool, at least enough to where I could tolerate it.

Now the full-throttle revvings of unmuffled ATVs coming from my other neighbor at 10pm was another matter. Gee, I'm glad I moved from that place....
LOL! We could become prisoners in our own home but I'd rather not be caged like that.
A citizen should be able to open a window and still hear yourself think. Or is that unreasonable in the new normal of 2011?

Old 06-09-2011, 02:27 PM

5,284 posts, read 20,043,847 times
I am not wild about noise. I don't blame you for not wanting to hear other people's music.

I have a friend who says you need at least 5 acres if you want to live noise free. We live in an extremely quiet neighborhood - the noisiest things are the lawnmowers and weed whackers....we love peace and quiet....most of the time we can hear the birds singing and the wind blowing through the trees - heaven.

Old 06-09-2011, 03:13 PM

174 posts, read 590,547 times
"A citizen should be able to open a window and still hear yourself think."

I certainly agree with you. On a side note, and it may be just my experience, but I found that most places I lived in California came with an increased noise factor and general rudeness. I'm sure it happens all over, but I honestly don't remember having any problems when I lived in the Midwest, and definitely don't have any now where I live in the Northwest.

Old 06-09-2011, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newt View Post
"A citizen should be able to open a window and still hear yourself think."

I certainly agree with you. On a side note, and it may be just my experience, but I found that most places I lived in California came with an increased noise factor and general rudeness. I'm sure it happens all over, but I honestly don't remember having any problems when I lived in the Midwest, and definitely don't have any now where I live in the Northwest.
The neighbors arent really rude, perhaps a bit clueless. They both have good jobs and are raising a family.
We hear wind and birds too, when the man-made noise is turned off.
Having five acres would be really nice..Im envious!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement