U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2016, 05:17 PM

6,119 posts, read 9,071,114 times

Advertisements

When my Mom died here in AZ, I picked up the phone and called her funeral director in IL, where she had prepaid for her funeral.

After that, I wasn't involved in the transport at all. They took care of it all. I was thankful for that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2016, 11:56 AM

4,357 posts, read 3,692,049 times
I would check with a couple of freight companies and see if they can handle the shipping and tell you what paperwork is required.

You might look at cremation.

As you are doing best to figure this out now.

Old 11-04-2016, 12:27 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,537 posts, read 39,914,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmuncher5757 View Post
i just had a famaly member die in california he is from illinois how long does it usually take to transport the body to illinois ??
~4 hrs by air

Caskets are Freight, quite inexpensive (usually),

As previously mentioned... I did the 'road trip', so that would take about 24 - 30 hrs (direct)

Winter is a good time to transport a body on a long trip.

Air cargo is ezr and a nice chilly environment. BUT.. I ended up having a problem at the receiving state, not allowing me to fetch the body from air cargo. (State funeral law required a certified Funeral home director to fetch from airport) That was a $1,800 deal killer (thus the $300 road trip). That also allowed me to rent a backhoe and perform the burial.

Cremation was not allowed due to siblings not being in agreement, and no pre-authorized written plan from deceased.

Old 11-04-2016, 12:44 PM

13,874 posts, read 7,386,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbear99 View Post
cremation makes it much easier - you can carry granny in your carry on baggage. Or mail her.
Personally, I don't understand why cremation isn't universal.

My will says my ashes are going to be scattered in the ocean. State law requires 3 nautical miles offshore so my will specifies a spot 3 miles offshore. My informal instructions are to dump the ashes from my boat mooring in the harbor.

Old 11-04-2016, 12:58 PM

8,760 posts, read 10,832,098 times
I've conducted several funerals for people who were being buried in another state or some distance away. Most have elected cremation, which has multiple advantages when it comes to cost, transportation logistics and burial at the other end.

You can, for example, be buried with a loved one in an already existing grave (the urn/ashes) are buried at about 18-36-inches, while caskets typically reside at 6-feet. If you wish to have a service (with casket) at the burial end, you can typically rent a "ceremonial casket," which is the $10K (or so?) model ... without the cost.

If you are against cremation and want to have the body transported, there are companies that will do that ... for considerably less than the cost of transporting a large, heavy casket: What to do when a loved one dies away from home | us-funerals.com

The funeral/burial business is a lot like the wedding business. You can spend as much or little as you like --- as long as you plan in advance and are unwilling to be "emotionally shamed" into paying top-dollar for everything.

IMO, this is a great gift and service for the family left behind to make the arrangements.

Old 11-04-2016, 01:02 PM

1,530 posts, read 1,436,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjm1cc View Post
I would check with a couple of freight companies and see if they can handle the shipping and tell you what paperwork is required.

You might look at cremation.

As you are doing best to figure this out now.

The funeral directors will take care of all of this. The funeral director in the state of residence will take care of sending the body, and the funeral director handling the actual burial will take care of things in the burial state. Transfer of remains from one state for burial in another is done all the time. Funeral directors know exactly what to do. It did add to the expense of my father's burial, but it was certainly worth it to have everything taken care of for me.

By planning in advance, it might be possible to save some money by negotiating and prepaying, and by all means every effort should be made to reach a reasonable agreement on price. However, having had to do this myself, I am firmly of the opinion that there are some things that are just worth paying the experts to do. When the time comes, trust me, you don't want to have to worry about arranging for air freight shipments, pickup, delivery, and whatever paperwork is involved or deal with any problems that arise. Whatever problem might occur, it will likely be something the funeral director has dealt with before and will know how to solve.

Old 11-04-2016, 01:37 PM

5,822 posts, read 13,310,108 times
My grandfather died 1500 miles from home. One person in the family flew down and had his body flown home. Airlines are equipped to fly deceased.

Old 11-05-2016, 12:02 PM

249 posts, read 196,866 times
This is also common in California, many are from someplace else and want to go home.

As mentioned get information now, much easier with more time and less emotions.

Old 11-07-2016, 08:11 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
29,764 posts, read 54,390,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbear99 View Post
cremation makes it much easier - you can carry granny in your carry on baggage. Or mail her.
Yes, we drove my mother in law in her urn from here near Seattle to the SF Bay Area to be buried with her husband in the family plot. The only issue was the interstate transport permit but it was free from the place that did the cremation. Beware of the "family plot" cost, however. Theirs was purchased for $50 in the late 1800s, and already contained several ancestral family members. Despite the small size of the urn, and already owning the plot, the cemetery there charged us $3,200 to dig the hole and place her in it. The cremation here was only $900.

Old 11-07-2016, 03:54 PM

21,838 posts, read 14,349,419 times
We had our mother transported to another state for burial. Funeral homes handle this. You could buy a prepaid funeral, perhaps, with this option.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement