Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2019, 03:16 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,711 posts, read 58,042,598 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
the funeral home handles all that. You just fork over the cash
~$800 for Direct Cremation or Direct Burial.

Cremation certainly solves some logistics problems. (Transport)

But not all can be cremated. (certain rules apply to deceased who did not clarify BEFORE croaking). Such was our families case that then required me to make a 3,000 'road trip' with corpse.

Since I already have a backhoe, and it is legal to 'home-bury'... I will dig my own grave and then DS can 'back-fill; and then have estate auction. (and sell the backhoe).

No need to prepare my body, just drop me in the hole.

Cremation would be fine, but that would waste time, energy and money, since the backhoe is free. (and very fast).

There are some 'natural' burial grounds nearby, but even dead, I am not really ready or desire to be plucked on by the birds.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2019, 05:39 PM

7,777 posts, read 6,385,415 times
The airlines quietly do a lucrative business in transporting the deceased.

My father bought 4 cemetery plots in NY. He died first and then my mother 25 years later. They are buried there. My sister and I have made our homes in Florida and never go to NY. We both agreed that we had no interest in being buried in NY, so we sold the remaining 2 plots back to the cemetery.

Old 05-21-2019, 07:32 PM

5,869 posts, read 4,209,487 times
My mom had a prepaid in one state, and died in another. The state-B mortician handled all that was legally necessary, then drove 400 miles to deliver the body ti the pre-paid mortician in state-A. I thought at the time the fee was reasonable.

Old 05-21-2019, 07:37 PM

19,387 posts, read 6,502,232 times
OK, this is really morbid.....

I'm Jewish and we don't allow embalming. Will a U.S. airline transport a body that isn't embalmed?

This became an issue when my friend's father died on an overseas trip. The international flight required embalming, which of course was against Jewish law. They fought over it for a full day, but ultimately had to permit it.

Old 05-21-2019, 07:54 PM

32,932 posts, read 36,351,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post

But not all can be cremated. (certain rules apply to deceased who did not clarify BEFORE croaking). Such was our families case that then required me to make a 3,000 'road trip' with corpse.

Since I already have a backhoe, and it is legal to 'home-bury'... I will dig my own grave and then DS can 'back-fill; and then have estate auction. (and sell the backhoe).

Cremation would be fine, but that would waste time, energy and money, since the backhoe is free. (and very fast).

There are some 'natural' burial grounds nearby, but even dead, I am not really ready or desire to be plucked on by the birds.
I'm pretty sure that bodies aren't just left on top of the ground. You're buried in, I think, something like a cardboard box. I read about it once a while back.

Old 05-21-2019, 08:38 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,711 posts, read 58,042,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
I'm pretty sure that bodies aren't just left on top of the ground. You're buried in, I think, something like a cardboard box. I read about it once a while back.
You can choose to be placed up on a wooden platform, as the Native Americans did.

Easier for the birds to peck, but the coyotes (or neighbor dogs) won't be dragging you off in pieces..

Old 05-21-2019, 09:06 PM

12,062 posts, read 10,271,962 times
Quote:

Yes, that is allowed in Texas also, but the OP seemed to have never dealt with a death of a close family member

We've already done it several times and pre planning is the way to go! So easy.

OP - go to a funeral home and have a meeting with one of the staff. They can answer all your questions, give you estimates and put you at ease.

Old 05-21-2019, 09:11 PM

5,869 posts, read 4,209,487 times
It's illegal to transport a dead body unless it meets state law, with respect to preparation, suitable container, type of conveyance, etc. The state laws are probably fairly uniform, but it is possible to look them up and avoid dealing with a mortician at all.

Old 05-22-2019, 12:35 AM

32,932 posts, read 36,351,383 times
Quote:
You can choose to be placed up on a wooden platform, as the Native Americans did.

Easier for the birds to peck, but the coyotes (or neighbor dogs) won't be dragging you off in pieces..
I'd be dead and I wouldn't know, but that wouldn't be my first choice.

Old 05-22-2019, 05:04 AM

2,105 posts, read 3,011,346 times
I've told my sister I would prefer to do as the Native Americans did. She thinks I'm nuts.
I figure if it was good enough for them it's good enough for me.
One way or the other I think we all end up blowing in the wind.
I've started a "fire pit" fund just in case though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement