Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-25-2011, 03:39 PM

14,454 posts, read 20,630,704 times

Advertisements

From the social security website:
"The average monthly Social Security benefit for a retired worker was about $1,177 at the beginning of 2011."

Is there a minimum social security benefit since the above says "worker"?
Ex: A retired housewife who never worked, would get zero, or the minimum? What is the minimum for someone who had no job, or very low paying jobs?

Is there a maximum social security benefit?
Ex: A retired CEO who made $400,000 a year would have their social benefit not to exceed the maximum? What is the maximum?

Have the ways the minimum and maximum is calculated, changed over the last 15-20 years?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2011, 03:48 PM

14,454 posts, read 20,630,704 times
Well, this pretty much covers the maximum since 1987.
Maximum-taxable benefit examples

Old 07-25-2011, 04:11 PM

14,016 posts, read 20,898,193 times
Unless the retired housewife who never worked is entitled to spousal benefits based on her husband's work record, she would receive zero. For example, if the husband worked only a job which did not fall under Social Security - that would be certain public employee jobs - then he would get zero and his wife would also get zero. Social Security is not welfare, it is insurance; if the worker has not paid the payroll taxes (premiums), then he (or she) doesn't get the coverage.

The formulas which determine retirement benefits take into account how many years a worker has paid the FICA (Soc. Sec.) taxes and the amount of wages on which taxes were paid (up to the cap, which is currently $106,000 per year, the benefits also being capped based on that amount), among other factors. I don't know what the minimum is, but it is very small. When I started receiving SS retirement benefits at age 62, my monthly benefit was $103. It has since gone up because I continued to work a special five-week project each year which was subject to SS taxes, and the benefit was recomputed each year to reflect that. Now, five years later, my monthly benefit is $138, which also reflects a COLA or two.

Old 07-25-2011, 06:48 PM

25,576 posts, read 56,455,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by howard555 View Post
Is there a maximum social security benefit?
Ex: A retired CEO who made $400,000 a year would have their social benefit not to exceed the maximum? What is the maximum?
Maximum benefit is $2,366. Maximum taxable earnings are $106,800.

That $400k executive pays SS tax on only $106,800 of his income. Lot of SS so-called problems could be solved if that $106.8 cap were raised. Problem is benefits do not go up proportionately. In other words, at the higher income levels, you don't get an equal share back. Plus, you pay a whole lot more for Medicare. It is definitely wealth redistribution working against the higher income people. Just sayin'. Frankly, I don't care one way or the other.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement