U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-26-2011, 02:57 PM
 
Location: Scottsdale, AZ
4,486 posts, read 15,281,488 times
Reputation: 3935

Advertisements

How did you like it? Just trying to find out some information for friends of parents who are thinking about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-26-2011, 03:23 PM
 
Location: Las Vegas
13,886 posts, read 25,316,043 times
Reputation: 26372
I would love to do that. But I don't have a spare 50K lying around. But what fun! Good for them!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-26-2011, 04:52 PM
 
12,671 posts, read 21,052,348 times
Reputation: 2625
After I retire.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-27-2011, 07:07 AM
 
Location: Toronto, Ottawa Valley & Dunedin FL
1,409 posts, read 2,354,075 times
Reputation: 1159
I wish! On the type of line we like to cruise, that would be well over $150K. So we'd have to sell a property first, lol. I love the sea and being on a cruise ship, but really, not sure I could cope for that long. Perhaps a month would be nice, can't even afford that right now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-27-2011, 07:44 AM
 
Location: Phoenix, AZ > Raleigh, NC
15,069 posts, read 18,997,066 times
Reputation: 24167
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyAZ View Post
How did you like it? Just trying to find out some information for friends of parents who are thinking about it.
Try the forum over at cruisecritic.com. I'm sure you'll find some over there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-27-2011, 11:39 AM
 
Location: Northern panhandle WV
3,007 posts, read 2,169,240 times
Reputation: 6691
Don't forget all the paperwork, Visa's etc. AND medical and evacuation coverage and repatriation of remians , should that be necessary also pre existing conditions both theirs and anyone in the immediate family that might pass while they are away? . People always underestimate the costs of these things $$$$.
Also don't forget most lines now charge at least $12. per day per person for TIPS/service charge. And the cost of all those shore excursions, laundy, drinks, specialty dining etc. etc. etc.
How are they at sailing? in all kinds of weather? how long have then been at sea before this?

How do they feel about being couped up in a SMALL room for a LONG time and being couped up with mostly the same people all that time? Also phoning and computer costs HUGE bucks from a ship or in many ports if available at all.

Some realistic things to think about in addition to the DREAM of a World Cruise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-27-2011, 02:13 PM
 
1,769 posts, read 2,441,374 times
Reputation: 5159
I wouldn't go on a cruise if someone paid me to go. I cannot imagine anything worse than such a contrived trip. The very thought of having to buy "cruise clothes", sit with other people that I have nothing in common with, etc, etc. I do horsepack trips in foreign countries. The trips are often rough, dangerous, but pack in some real adventure. Did some travel in communist countries years ago - gads do I have the stories from that! Did a camping trip on Crete - it was a blast. I do all these things by myself as I prefer to travel alone. Thankfully, there are marvelous ways to travel to suite each personality type.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-27-2011, 03:25 PM
 
Location: Out there somewhere...a traveling man.
39,534 posts, read 47,711,196 times
Reputation: 110341
Quote:
Originally Posted by arwenmark View Post
Don't forget all the paperwork, Visa's etc. AND medical and evacuation coverage and repatriation of remians , should that be necessary also pre existing conditions both theirs and anyone in the immediate family that might pass while they are away? . People always underestimate the costs of these things $$$$.
Also don't forget most lines now charge at least $12. per day per person for TIPS/service charge. And the cost of all those shore excursions, laundy, drinks, specialty dining etc. etc. etc.
How are they at sailing? in all kinds of weather? how long have then been at sea before this?

How do they feel about being couped up in a SMALL room for a LONG time and being couped up with mostly the same people all that time? Also phoning and computer costs HUGE bucks from a ship or in many ports if available at all.

Some realistic things to think about in addition to the DREAM of a World Cruise.
These ^^^ are all great points to consider.

Why not go on say a couple of 2 week cruises twice a year to areas where you are really interested in. That way you eliminate most of the problems in the quoted post and still see some great sites. Especially if you're handicapped or have known serious health problems. One cruise we were on, it cost a person that did not take out insurance $50,000 for having a heart attack and being flown from the ship by helicopter to the nearest island hospital.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-27-2011, 03:33 PM
 
Location: Northern panhandle WV
3,007 posts, read 2,169,240 times
Reputation: 6691
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitram View Post
These ^^^ are all great points to consider.

Why not go on say a couple of 2 week cruises twice a year to areas where you are really interested in. That way you eliminate most of the problems in the quoted post and still see some great sites. Especially if you're handicapped or have known serious health problems. One cruise we were on, it cost a person that did not take out insurance $50,000 for having a heart attack and being flown from the ship by helicopter to the nearest island hospital.

I agree take several short cruises to places you want to go. I have heard of people being evacuated by Helicopter that has been over 150K it is why I mentioned it before.

As for the other post about cruise clothes and sitting with people you don't know. if you pick your lines carefully you don't need to have special clothes nor do you need to eat with anyone you don't want too. you can basically get restaurant service eat alone or with friends etc. Nor do you have to take the cruise shore excursions but if you do your own you need to learn the pitfalls first.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-27-2011, 05:07 PM
 
Location: Grass Valley,CA.
1,137 posts, read 2,174,069 times
Reputation: 608
We took a ten day cruise to Alaska (my spouse still works).
If I had to spend any more time on a cruise ship I'd probably jump overboard.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top