U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-08-2013, 07:05 AM

8,628 posts, read 13,888,154 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkansas Mac View Post
How in the world can anyone who already has children say they regret having them?

I can't imagine a person saying that unless they were extremely self centered or mentally unbalanced.

We are talking human beings here and not adopting pets from an animal shelter !
You did not go back and read all the posts. You are confusing people that have children as not liking their offspring. There is a big difference between wishing they did not have children in the first place and hating their kids after they are born, all the way to the grave.
The other way to look at it is " other peoples kids", you do not HAVE to like them just because they are kids. Furthermore, I certainly wish they would stay off my lawn, not be allowed in my favorite restaurant, and in general be seen and not heard until they are 21. Most people who feel that way, and there are millions, DO remember that once they were kids too and now can see why they were disliked so long ago ...
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2013, 07:16 AM

1,316 posts, read 1,182,772 times
I would think that the LATE Mr. and Mrs. Menendez from L.A. would regret having had children.

Old 04-08-2013, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaffeetrekker View Post
I would think that the LATE Mr. and Mrs. Menendez from L.A. would regret having had children.
That should apply to all the parents of ALL the kids that became mass murder kids before and or after they have grown up .Parents who do nothing about their mentally ill kids are the parents that should not have been allowed to have kids in the first place ! Having children in the first place should be a privilege not a right !! If you do not qualify you will not be allowed to have them....There are way to many unwanted kids being born and for no good reason, they should be aborted ! Until we wake up and start seeing what violence, guns, disturbed kids, unresponsive parents can do, the massacre at New Town's all around the world will continue.

Old 04-08-2013, 08:56 AM

12,408 posts, read 16,475,201 times
Quote:
How in the world can anyone who already has children say they regret having them?

I can't imagine a person saying that unless they were extremely self centered or mentally unbalanced.

We are talking human beings here and not adopting pets from an animal shelter !
I think we still have the social conventions and taboos from the past. People are afraid of questioning certain beliefs because there is still a social stigma attached.

Truth be told, there is not any topic that is taboo from being examined. That's the way we learn about ourselves and society and that is the way progress is made.

Our ability to think has put us on top of the food chain. It has enabled us to control much of nature rather than being controlled by it. Sometimes we make mistakes. If we do not question ourselves and look back, we run the risk of just amplifying those mistakes.

I don't think every woman should have children. Just because you have the biology does not make it imperative that you have them. Not everyone has the patience, knowledge, disposition, and financial well being to be a good parent.

I am certain that there are women whose children are well into adult hood and still living at home, sponging off of the parents, who would rather have them out of their lives. Every murderer, drug addict, theif, is somebody's child.

I think it takes a lot of courage to admit that you did the wrong thing by having kids. Either your life would have been much healthier and stress free or perhaps society, in general, would have been better off had your kid not been here, or maybe your kid is a tortured soul, having some sort of malady that no one should have to suffer through. After all, the average person, born with normal abilities has a rough enough time these days.

Old 04-08-2013, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darstar View Post
You did not go back and read all the posts. You are confusing people that have children as not liking their offspring. There is a big difference between wishing they did not have children in the first place and hating their kids after they are born, all the way to the grave.
The other way to look at it is " other peoples kids", you do not HAVE to like them just because they are kids. Furthermore, I certainly wish they would stay off my lawn, not be allowed in my favorite restaurant, and in general be seen and not heard until they are 21. Most people who feel that way, and there are millions, DO remember that once they were kids too and now can see why they were disliked so long ago ...
I agree with you.
I had a young child as a neighbor who needs to be drugged for the sake of the neighborhood. He shouts, when he is outdoors, almost incessantly. He wakes up at night screaming. I think, once he reaches school age, they will insist that he be analyzed.

We recently went to a restaurant. There was one table with children that we hardly knew was there, and another where the kid yelled sporadically.

Of course, people usually notice the noisy brats and wish they'd never been born - or their parents were sterilized because they seem so oblivious to the distraction of adults surrounding them.

If kids ended up on my lawn I would get the police there so fast to talk to the parents. There are probably ordinances on noise pollution, as well. Other people should not make the entire community pay for their decision to reproduce. It's bad enough that we pay taxes for their education.

Old 04-08-2013, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darstar View Post
That should apply to all the parents of ALL the kids that became mass murder kids before and or after they have grown up .Parents who do nothing about their mentally ill kids are the parents that should not have been allowed to have kids in the first place ! Having children in the first place should be a privilege not a right !! If you do not qualify you will not be allowed to have them....There are way to many unwanted kids being born and for no good reason, they should be aborted ! Until we wake up and start seeing what violence, guns, disturbed kids, unresponsive parents can do, the massacre at New Town's all around the world will continue.
Darstar, you are brilliant.
Yes, a license to reproduce. I like that. Just like you must be licensed to purchase a car because it can hurt others, you should be tested to see that you are really mature enough to handle a growing child.

We, hopefully, are a step up from the rest of the animal kingdom and should not be randomly breeding without a care or worry.

Old 04-08-2013, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post
Darstar, you are brilliant.
Yes, a license to reproduce. I like that. Just like you must be licensed to purchase a car because it can hurt others, you should be tested to see that you are really mature enough to handle a growing child.

We, hopefully, are a step up from the rest of the animal kingdom and should not be randomly breeding without a care or worry.
Thank you for all the support, this has been my stand for a long while, looking back at my posts on CD will reinforce that.I also know I am not alone, you are demonstrating thoughts the same. It IS too late for a lot of people with a good example those grieving moms and dad's that are on their way to Washington DC today to testify before Congress.

Old 04-08-2013, 10:37 AM

239 posts, read 475,096 times
Quote:
I agree with you.
I had a young child as a neighbor who needs to be drugged for the sake of the neighborhood. He shouts, when he is outdoors, almost incessantly. He wakes up at night screaming. I think, once he reaches school age, they will insist that he be analyzed.

We recently went to a restaurant. There was one table with children that we hardly knew was there, and another where the kid yelled sporadically.

Of course, people usually notice the noisy brats and wish they'd never been born - or their parents were sterilized because they seem so oblivious to the distraction of adults surrounding them.

If kids ended up on my lawn I would get the police there so fast to talk to the parents. There are probably ordinances on noise pollution, as well. Other people should not make the entire community pay for their decision to reproduce. It's bad enough that we pay taxes for their education.
--" I had a young child as a neighbor"--

?????????????

What has that got to do with you regretting that you ever had children ? ( title of thread)

You are regretting that others had children.

A huge difference !

Old 04-08-2013, 11:02 AM

Quote:
--" I had a young child as a neighbor"--

?????????????

What has that got to do with you regretting that you ever had children ? ( title of thread)

You are regretting that others had children.

A huge difference !
I believe that a lot of people who have children who they have very little control over are sorry that they ever had them, but they are unfortunately stuck with them for at least 18 years of their lives, so they just resign themselves. Most just give up, and don't even bother to correct their brat. Many get defensive and think if they have to put up with it, so should the rest of society.

The topic is people regretting that they had kids, and I am commenting that there are probably many more than will openly admit it.

Old 04-08-2013, 11:18 AM

239 posts, read 475,096 times
Quote:
I believe that a lot of people who have children who they have very little control over are sorry that they ever had them, but they are unfortunately stuck with them for at least 18 years of their lives, so they just resign themselves. Most just give up, and don't even bother to correct their brat. Many get defensive and think if they have to put up with it, so should the rest of society.

The topic is people regretting that they had kids, and I am commenting that there are probably many more than will openly admit it.

Quite a stretch to assume just because there are children who don 't behave that their parents wish they never had them !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or